The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: MT F&G Annual Update for Helena Area: April 3rd  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
MT F&G Annual Update for Helena Area: April 3rd
« on: Mar 14, 2007, 10:57 AM »
For anyone interested in the Fish and Game's plans for the reserviors surrounding Helena, the annual update meeting is on April 3 at the Montana Association of Counties Building, 2715 Skyway Drive in Helena starting at 7:00 pm. This is a great opportunity to discuss what is happening on all of the Helena area reservoirs.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: MT F&G Annual Update for Helena Area: April 3rd
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2007, 04:01 PM »
Like the backwards rule concerning no fishing on hauser and holter from 12 am 3 am  >:( >:(

Yes!  By the way, concerning that.  Here is the latest.  I am waiting for it to be posted for public comment.

Walltrout,
Thanks for your question.  The fishing regs on Hauser and Holter do have some quirks and you pointed out two of the most glaring.  Your right, these regs were put in place during the kokanee boom years.  With the declines in kokanee since 1997, I have looked at the night closure and actually made attempts to do away with it.  In this case, the closure continues in large part because of social pressures from home owners and recreationists that do not want the nighttime activity.  The fishing regulations will be open for review in 2007 for changes made in 2008 (we are on a 4-year cycle now) and at that time I plan on making another run at the night closure on Hauser and Holter.  Please contact me directly in March/April of 2007 and formally request the changes that you would like to see.  Also, at that time, I will try and clear up the confusion over ice houses.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve Dalbey
Helena Area Fisheries Biologist
Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks
930 W. Custer
Helena, MT 59620
[email protected]

Mr. Dalbey,

I emailed you a while back about the fishing regulations on Lake Helena and Hauser that prohibit ice shacks on the ice after dark and all fishing after midnight.  You told me to contact you in March.  Well here it is.  What do I need to do to get the ball rolling on getting this regulation changed?  I have attached your original response to remind you in case I am not clear.

Thanks
Chris Johns

Chris,
Thanks for the reminder; I have submitted this change to the fishing regulations as part of FWP's fishing regulation process for 2008-2012.

Public comment to proposed regulation changes will be accepted through May, 2007.  Proposals will be adopted by the FWP Commission at the meeting in Helena on October 25th, 2007.  Proposals will go out on FWP's web page this spring for public review.

Thanks again,
Steve

Steve Dalbey
Helena Area Fisheries Biologist
Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks
930 W. Custer
Helena, MT 59620

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline rrfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: MT F&G Annual Update for Helena Area: April 3rd
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2007, 04:58 PM »
Steve Dalbey is actually a real nice guy, and I think he's on OUR side.  Hopefully he can get that rule changed from the STUPID way it is right now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.