The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Near Kalispell/Whitefish???  (Read 10639 times)

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Fishing Near Kalispell/Whitefish???
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:14 PM »
hey floopus were you the guy fishin on the south end of the lake? i was on the south end in a little singleman frabill, fishin in about 15-18 ft. dont really know what was goin on with the fish tried just about everything. i was usin maggots and talked to another guy who was wax worms and caught a few. dont really know, went out again to blanchard for some night crappie on sat. couldnt find ANY fish. drilled plenty of holes in my "normal" spots and nothin, then went searchin and found nothin. big bummer. i've been fishin for these warm water fish so much i've been thinkin about goin for some kokes or trout on beaver. anyone havin any luck on lower stillwater these days. my success there has been very minimal. good luck, cant wait to get on the ice again

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:55 PM »
Well, about 18 inchs ice on upper stillwater. caught 3 perch and one 3# laker, broke two more lakers off,they are hitting the same thing as the perch. Is everybody else having the same tough bite w/ perch?

Offline floopus64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:35 AM »
Yes, Icebugler, that was me on the south end of Blanchard.  18ft of water.  Used maggots on a small, green, Gitzit.  I fished Spencer on Saturday with the kids.  Caught perch, but nothing of any size (3-4 inches).  Is that normal for Spencer?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2007, 01:37 PM »
I fished Spencer on Saturday with the kids.  Caught perch, but nothing of any size (3-4 inches).  Is that normal for Spencer?

Floopus, when did you get to Spencer on Saturday?  I was the only person on that lake until about 12:30 when I left...I wasn't fishing for perch though...PIKE!   ;D

Offline floopus64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2007, 02:25 PM »
Floopus, when did you get to Spencer on Saturday?  I was the only person on that lake until about 12:30 when I left...I wasn't fishing for perch though...PIKE!   ;D

We got on the ice just before 1:00.  Stayed until 3:30-ish.  We had the lake to ourselves until about 3:00 when another family came out and set up for pike on the west end.  We were fishing mid-lake near the highway 10-12 ft.  On Monday I overheard an "old-timer" say that the east end near the reeds is the best place for pike.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2007, 03:58 PM »
All the times that I have fished Spencer it has been just like that. Catch plenty of perch but all of the 3-4 inches sometimes a 5-6 incher but never bigger. Same with the pike, I have caught all mine on tip ups and they have been small, biggest was about 2.5 lbs. Lately when I have been fishing for perch the bite has been really tough, guessing its just the mid-winter bite, but they have to eat right? Gona be back in town tomorrow and out on the ice at night again for crappie. Hope its better than last time......

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2007, 05:44 PM »
Floopus,  I fished Skyles for perch on Sunday and we caught quite a few for the time we were there but all were small.  There are supposed to be some good ones in there.

I may try Skyles and Spencer again this weekend...

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:06 AM »
Went to Beaver again on Sunday and caught 4 Kokes, they started off fast and changed all over the place.  My buddy usually limits every time and only got 13....

Then I went to Spencer and got a couple pike one about 3lbs and a Hammer handle.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:07 AM »
Anyone brave the crowd and fish the McGregor Lake derby this weekend?

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2007, 11:28 PM »
I guess I have been kind of slacking in reports as folks have been giving me info about the lakes but I have not reciprocated yet. Unfortunately the reason for that is that I have not been catching a lot of anything. In the last 2 weeks I have been to Blanchard night fishing - 3 crappie, missed many more, Somers bay - 1 laker, Beaver lake - 1 kokanee, and today out to Little Bitterroot - 2 salmon though I could only go a short time as I had a meeting with someone this morning. Seem to be catching a little of everything but not lots of anything. Well I get to get out quite a bit this year anyway. Going up to Georgetown this weekend to introduce the brother-in-law to ice fishing. hopefully can find enough fish to keep in entertained. Success to all and see ya on the lake.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:16 AM »
Finally able to get on the ice again. Hit spencer for a couple hours sat. afternoon. Caught 6 perch all under 6 inches. They were suspended in 13ft of water. I've never seen anything like that. Then went to Whitefish for the last couple hours of light, by state park. Had fish all over the finder in about 100ft, checkin out my jigs but would not touch it. Had a couple small bites but thats it. Im still struggling catching these lakers. Was using a chartruese jig head with a 4 inch curly tail, and cut bait........also tried some Zimmer jigs. I'm almost ready to give up on the lakers and keep with the warm water fish......

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #41 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:48 PM »
Finally able to get on the ice again. Hit spencer for a couple hours sat. afternoon. Caught 6 perch all under 6 inches. They were suspended in 13ft of water.

Icebugler,  do you ever try for Pike in Spencer?

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:05 PM »
yea i have fished for pike, havnt caught anything with good size. biggest one was about 2lbs. they are usually small though, have snapped a few off fishin for perch too.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2007, 01:26 PM »
Boy things have quieted down around here...  As far as I've been able to tell Ice is still thick and good on most of the small lakes.  I heard the Kokanee size is up on Beaver, getting them around 14" pretty regular.

I'm after Pike this weekend and have only fished a couple places for them, anyone have any suggestions(details would be great)...

Thanks.

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 06, 2007, 05:41 PM »
fished beaver the last 2 days in the mornins till about noon. koks are kinda tough to catch. 7 yesterday 8 today, lost a bunch both days. best luck is just on a sweedish pimple, white or siver, with maggots. they would only hit it if i was jiggin it too. did catch some on pink and white glo hooks under the sweedish but they seemed to go after the pimple by itself.......biggest was about 9-10, ok eaters but wana find some of those bigger ones. the last 2 days were my first time on beaver and i was wonderin if its usually like this. what do u guys use out there. it seemed like i was the only one catching fish today, but yesterday a guy caught 14..........prolly gona go and try blanchard in a bit for some perch and crappie. will post again

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #45 on: Mar 06, 2007, 06:26 PM »
When I fish Beaver I have the best luck on an attractor that is silver and blue and then use a dropper on about a 4 inch leader.  As the season has progressed they have become more particular about the dropper in color and size.  I have used pink and white Ratso's and Ratfink's down to size 12, with and without maggots.  Last I went they were hitting with power maggots in pink the best or a pink Scud(pink fly fishing fly).

The guy I usually fish with out there is a master at it and last week he limited on both Sunday and Monday and the majority of his fish were in the 12-14" range.  So they are still there.  I have found that Ultra light rod that is longer in length helps tremendously in catching those light biting Kokes.  Your observation that you need to jig to catch them is what I have found also.  Don't dead stick it much and you will catch more...

Good Fishing :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.