The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Setlines (Unattended fishing rigs) Montana Fishing Regulations  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
I posted this in another thread that had veered off topic. I figured it would be worth reposting as it's own topic.

Page 20 of the 2018 Montana Fishing Regulations provides the definition for setlines as follows:
"SETLINE: A line or lines with or without a pole set to catch fish without the angler being
present or within immediate control. The angler’s name, phone number, or 9 or 10 digit ALS
# must be attached."

It also states that set setlines may not be attached to jugs or floating devices.

The regulations on setlines is different for each district.

The Western District regulations (p. 26) state that:
Setlines: Setlines (unattended lines) are not allowed in the Western Fishing District.

The Central District regulations (p.53-54) state that:
Setlines
• Setlines may be used only on waters specified in District Exceptions.
• Setlines must be checked by the fisherman at least once every 24 hours.
• The angler’s name and phone number or name and 9/10-digit ALS# must be attached
      to each setline.
• Setlines shall not be attached to jugs or other floating devices.

The Eastern District regulations (p. 81) state that:
Setlines
• Number of lines is the same as for Hook and Line Limits. Setlines may be used in all waters unless prohibited in the District Exceptions to Standard Regulations.
     • Setlines (unattended lines) must be checked by the owner at least once every 24 hours.
• The angler’s name and phone number or name and 9/10-digit ALS# must be attached
to each setline.
• Setlines shall not be attached to jugs or other floating devices.

So be sure to read the regulations not only for your district but for the specific body of water you are fishing. Western district is always a no, Central is no unless otherwise specified, Eastern is always a yes unless otherwise specified.

A little sidenote of something that has been chattered about on a few threads as well - On certain bodies of water you are required to have your shelter (including flip-overs and hub pop-ups) labeled with your name and phone number or name and ALS# that has at least 2" letters and numbers in a visible print.

Be sure to read through all of the regs each year and before ever going to a new body of water.

Stay informed, stay legal, stay safe, and continue being positive role models for the upcoming generations of sportsmen/women.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Setlines (Unattended fishing rigs) Montana Fishing Regulations
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Did that change in the western district since 2017? So that means no tipups/jawjackers in the western district?

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Did that change in the western district since 2017? What's considered immediate control? Didn't it used to be within eye sight or something along those lines?

I can't comment on if it changed from years past because I do not know. My first suggestion is to read through the regs yourself and always have a copy on hand in your fishing gear in case you get questioned you have it to reference. My understanding related to immediate control is being able to reach the line/rod without moving. Tip-ups need to be within eye sight but not within immediate control. If your tipups are not within eyesight I believe they can be considered unattended and thus classified as setlines. So to be safe (and ethical) I would suggest keeping your tipups or jawjackers etc, all within eye sight. But again with the disclaimer that I am just another sportsman with no expertise on the subject matter, I just have a copy of the regs that I referenced.

Again, stay informed before heading out.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Page 25:
"Ice Fishing
Lakes and Reservoirs
• 2 lines with 2 hooks per line on all lakes and reservoirs open to fishing. When a line is
used through the ice, the angler need not be in immediate control but must be in the
vicinity and in visual contact with the line."

Clear to me now.

Offline cmckelve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2018, 02:55 PM »
If your tipups are not within eyesight I believe they can be considered unattended and thus classified as setlines. So to be safe (and ethical) I would suggest keeping your tipups or jawjackers etc, all within eye sight.

Regarding the first sentence, “...thus classsified as setlines” and therefore illegal if on a lake where setlines are not allowed.

“So to be safe (and ethical) I would suggest keeping your tipups or jawjackers etc, all within eye sight.”
I wholeheartedly agree. My point on the other thread was not that the regs are difficult to understand but rather the intent is difficult to understand. Some places it’s legal (even if not necessarily ethical) to leave lines unattended and other places it’s not? Why and why not?  In my opinion, if you’re unwilling to attend and be within sight of your lines, reel ‘em in. 
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2018, 06:00 PM »
I assume the intent of allowing set lines in the areas they are allowed is to facilitate harvest in Fisheries that receive relatively low pressure compared to the available resource.

I've only ever run them in the late fall through early spring when water temps are low, and generally used 2/0 or 3/0 circle hooks. The hooks work like they're supposed to and I've never pulled in a dead fish or a fish that wasn't hooked in a way that facilitated release if I didn't want to keep it. For all the Finesse I put into walleye fishing when I'm using a spinning rod, it's always funny to pull one in on that 2/0 hook.

It's certainly not Sportfishing but it sure is fun, and similar to running any other trapline. It also seems like a useful expenditure of time since I mostly run them in my duck hunting spots and I'm going to be out there on a Friday evening and the following Saturday morning anyways.

Ethics are generally in the eye of the beerholder, I mean is it really any less ethical to run set lines with circle hooks during the winter than it is to be doing catch-and-release fly-fishing when the water temps are 68 or 70 degrees? For that matter is it any less ethical than pulling perch hand-over-fist out of 50 feet of water and culling the little ones back down the hole where they can sit underneath the ice all winter?

"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline chartreusealltheway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:35 PM »
Exactly, mt btagger. Most perch sent back down the hole don't make it. I heard a study of fish mouths and they need suction power to bring in prey.  Once a hook pierces the mouth they lose a large percentage of the suction they once had,
causing them to perish eventually from starvation.   all fish caught in the act of fishing should be kept.   Our original heritage allows for us to catch and keep fish to eat. Setlines are a law that allow people to catch fish locally for food, never forget this.  I'd rather pull in a dead walleye and eat it than a filet o fish at the local fast food chain.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Do you have access to that study anyplace? Most catch and release studies show the exact opposite. Survival rates are generally over 90%.

The fish that need to be released are the larger specimens to pass on their genetics and undersize fish that you won’t eat anyway. Nothing wrong with keeping the right size fish of any legal species obviously but to claim all fish should be kept is just as far off base as saying none should be kept.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2018, 04:01 PM »
Please do give access to this study of fish not surviving after being caught and released.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Better be a good creditable source cause i have caught lots of fish that have been caught and released before.......
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.