The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fillet knife for perch  (Read 4607 times)

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fillet knife for perch
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:04 PM »
I'm curious what blade length people prefer for filleting perch?

I've got a 7in buck fillet knife but I'm curious if a slightly shorter blade would work better specifically for perch.
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Tinker

Re: Fillet knife for perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:27 AM »
I like the short Rapala with the non stick like coating and the darker handle. I think it is 4" and about $15.  I have the 7" version in that knife as well that I bought 2 years ago and it has not been out of the package yet (not from lack of fish, my freezer is happy!)  Love it for perch and G-town salmon as well and pretty much any fish that isn't too big. 

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:10 AM »
We use the Rapala electric,love it.
Dont ask

Offline acg8276

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:18 AM »
I use a 4" Rapala. 12 something from wally world.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:02 AM »
I can tell you, not necessarily shorter, but the thinner the knife the better. I have a $5 dollar, longer and thicker bladed knife I purchased from a tackle shop over in NoDak years back, while my dad has a thin bladed Rapala knife. His fillets consistently look better. Maybe he's just better at cleaning fish, but I can say, when I borrowed it, the fillets were better with the thin blade than the thick blade. That's my only advice.

Offline redbird4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:55 AM »
I have been using a 7" Kershaw for a while now and have been very happy with it. I have also found that the thinner more flexible knives seem to be better for getting a nice fillet and also sharpness is key.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:38 PM »
On my last visit to the Lake of the Woods in Minnesota I specifically asked the Norwegian women who filet several hundred fish a day what they use. I was told old school Chicago Cutlery thin bladed filet knifes. Sorry for those who have read this before, but these women can look you straight in the eye, hold a complete all the while fileting a walleye or perch so closely to the bones that you can see thru them and then strip the skin so closely that you can see thru that as well without missing a beat. If you offer them one, they will accept pretty much any beer you offer and keep doing the fish with no slow downs. I have been there 3 times and have never seen them use anything other than a sharpening rod to touch up the edges of their knifes. It is quite a sight. I suggest any ice fisher person who can make it out there to witness it to do it.  Oh by the way, plans are currently being made to return in February 2019.

Offline CatchDeFeesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:54 PM »
I have also found that the thinner more flexible knives seem to be better for getting a nice fillet and also sharpness is key.

That is the ticket right there!!  I've also used an electric for jumbo perch and it actually does a great job at separating the meat from the skin.

Offline Thunderthumbs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:00 PM »
I am a HUGE fan of my Rapala electric.  It takes just a little bit to get used to it, but once you are I think you'll be hard pressed to go back to a regular knife.

TT.

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Thanks everyone, I may shop around and try some other options to the knife.i have now. I like my electric for catfish, but no so much for perch.

Found a YouTube video today with a woman who was in the 15-20 second range for each perch. Pretty impressive.
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2018, 03:15 PM »
I use a Rapala electric to fillet along the bone from head to tail, then switch to a 7" Schrade thin and flexible fillet knife to get the fillet off of the skin and to cut out the rib cage.

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:41 PM »
I've caught many ,many limits of Holter perch,hard and soft water seasons and one of my fishin buddies doesn't eat fish, so I've got pretty good at filleting perch, I like an electric knife and take fillets off the fish and skin them, then slide it over to the wife who takes off the ribs. My buddy bought one of them "skinzits?" do-hickies, couldn't come close to our speed,I guess we could do fifty before he could finish a beer. I do use a Dexter knife to fillet as well, I dont see any advantage to a short blade especially if you are gonna get some big northerns and walleye one knife can do it all.

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Here's the video I was talking about. Never seen one done that way, but might try it after the next trip.

Looks like they had been out fishing at Log Gulch.  @)

Offline oldsCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Gf hardwater guy I been up to low and seen those gals in action. I think they could take a sharp stick and do a better job than most. I spent 5 years of my earlier life on a boning line with a knife in my hand. I have (had battery Is shot) an electric I have used with two blade sizes. Used the bigger almost exclusively. On the ice I have a Shimano and at home or on overnight fishing trips I carry my old wusthof classic.

Offline ElkNut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:48 PM »
Doepocalypse,
Buy a Leech Lake and all your problems will be solved.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:04 PM »
I have had a 7" Rapala for years (the super cheap fish n fillet).  I bought a 4" version 3 years ago thinking it would help me fillet panfish. I hardly ever use the 4".

The 4" is nice for getting the meat off the bones of a smaller fish, but the longer blade does a much better job skinning the fillet.

Now I only pull out the 4" to hand to my buddy to make quicker work of the pile. After having to use it a couple times he stopped conveniently "forgetting" his knife when we fish together.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:14 AM »
I have cleaned thousands of perch with my Mr. Twister electric.  Works for me.

oldschoolben

« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:19 AM »
I bought myself a  electric fillet knife, I used it last week for the first time, well the 2nd time I used it to carve the Thanksgiving turkey ,  it worked great for both ,  the only drawback  is that it has a cord   I'm looking at getting a cordless one soon

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:33 AM »
I'm curious what blade length people prefer for filleting perch?

I've got a 7in buck fillet knife but I'm curious if a slightly shorter blade would work better specifically for perch.

I use a 7" Normark (Rapala) and an old 6" folding Rapala.  I have a couple of larger ones for big saltwater fish, but none smaller.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:38 AM »
I also prefer the Rapala electric knife. I can have 20-30 perch or bluegills cleaned up in less than half the time it takes me with a normal filet knife.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:31 AM »
Oldscool,

Its neat that someone else on this board has seen the gals in action and agree with me. You are right, they probably could take a sharpened stick and do the job right. LOL!!!!

Funny that one of them will do ling and the other one refuses to do them no matter how much you offer her to do it. They by the way will allow you to do the wings and cheeks if you get into some larger fish, you just have to ask them. Walleye cheeks are yummy!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.