The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hebgen tournament  (Read 1942 times)

Offline creepincm

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hebgen tournament
« on: Dec 17, 2016, 09:46 AM »
Looks like the Hebgen/West Yellowstone community just made 1st place a guaranteed $10,000!

Offline greener07

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hebgen tournament
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2016, 03:08 PM »
10 grand???? That's awesome, should make for some good competition!  When is this one?

Offline greener07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Creepin, you don't have to bother answering my dumb question.  I looked right above this post and saw the link for it.   The link says it actually could be as high is 21 Grand, that's a lot of money!

Offline creepincm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Usually pays around $5000 to win it but this year they are pitching in the extra money to guarantee the $10000 first place.  The $21,000 is based upon a full field of teams which doesn't happen but hopefully the extra money gets a few extra guys entered up this year. It pays down 15 places or so on a normal year so may be more this year.   I believe it's January 15th.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Indeed! Looking forward 2 the snow rodeo again this year. What a blast of a tourney. Catching fish isn't the biggest Challenge getting out 2 your spot is the real challenge. Can't wait!
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:19 PM »
OR...getting back FROM your spot...just sayin... >:(

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Happy new year everybody. "Snow Rodeo" is the perfect description STD, love it.  :roflmao: even if you make it out unscathed!! Good memories! Maybe not for Mike most recently.  :woot: Honestly tho, we've made so many "rescue missions" pre-fishing for this tourney, that for some people it totally changes the way the fish it on $day.

The first year on $ day it was -21 at the 6:30 start. I was riding passenger on the sled, backwards, to make sure we didn't yard sale everywhere, (which had happened a couple times prefishing). We decided to just fly to our spot so as we wouldn't get stuck (which had happened a couple times prefishing). Well going fast creates a polar vortex at the back of the sled. My face filled with snow, the wind started blowing 50mph+, I couldn't breathe and everytime I tried I would just inhale more snow! I was suffocating on the back of the sled!!...  My partner finally stopped the sled at our spot just before I had gave up all hope of survival. I bailed off the back and looked at him, he pulled his helmet off and the tip of his nose was as white as white can be, about the size of a nickel!!! :o We've learned a lot since then, Yet don't apply much of it... Totally worth it though, only caught a couple of browns that day, didn't enter a fish... winners only had 3! Crazy stuff!! always...

$10k will be crazy this year!! Good luck to everyone,... especially my partner!  :thumbsup:

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:18 PM »
So I was asked to call into The Captain's radio show for Montana Outdoors on Saturday to give a fishing report for Hebgen and talk tournament. I think I'll try and do it live from the lake too. Should be around 7am. I'm hoping to get into broadcasting after my ice fishing career is over, just like those guys in the NFL  ;) Don't want to sound cocky but I've been told by more than 2 people that I have a face for radio, so I've got that going for me... ;D

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:30 PM »
So I was asked to call into The Captain's radio show for Montana Outdoors on Saturday to give a fishing report for Hebgen and talk tournament. I think I'll try and do it live from the lake too. Should be around 7am. I'm hoping to get into broadcasting after my ice fishing career is over, just like those guys in the NFL  ;) Don't want to sound cocky but I've been told by more than 2 people that I have a face for radio, so I've got that going for me... ;D

Haha sweet, I'd tune in!  :tipup:

Offline Tipuptroll

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:53 PM »
What is the current ice conditions?

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:04 PM »
Happy new year everybody. "Snow Rodeo" is the perfect description STD, love it.  :roflmao: even if you make it out unscathed!! Good memories! Maybe not for Mike most recently.  :woot: Honestly tho, we've made so many "rescue missions" pre-fishing for this tourney, that for some people it totally changes the way the fish it on $day.

The first year on $ day it was -21 at the 6:30 start. I was riding passenger on the sled, backwards, to make sure we didn't yard sale everywhere, (which had happened a couple times prefishing). We decided to just fly to our spot so as we wouldn't get stuck (which had happened a couple times prefishing). Well going fast creates a polar vortex at the back of the sled. My face filled with snow, the wind started blowing 50mph+, I couldn't breathe and everytime I tried I would just inhale more snow! I was suffocating on the back of the sled!!...  My partner finally stopped the sled at our spot just before I had gave up all hope of survival. I bailed off the back and looked at him, he pulled his helmet off and the tip of his nose was as white as white can be, about the size of a nickel!!! :o We've learned a lot since then, Yet don't apply much of it... Totally worth it though, only caught a couple of browns that day, didn't enter a fish... winners only had 3! Crazy stuff!! always...

$10k will be crazy this year!! Good luck to everyone,... especially my partner!  :thumbsup:
Kyle,  Thanks for helping us out and letting us use your snow machine, letting us get it stuck only to have you come out and show us where the throttle is at the first tourney.  It was a real hoot tho.  Hard to express the fun I had out there without sounding all sissy.  Good Luck to your team this year. 

Herb
wish you many hook-ups

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:50 PM »
Any time Herb now we just need to figure out what it's gonna take to get you back! 

What is the current ice conditions?
A few more posts troll and you can view the lake conditions page. That is really where you'll get the best info. But the lake is plenty good on the arms could be a little sketchy in middle more towards the dam and Kirkwood. I'll give it a go this weekend tho!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:40 PM »
Was reading Fortpeck1's kids ice clinic thread, sound like a blast every year, always a lot of smiling kid pictures!! It reminded me to post that the hebgen tourney has a kids ice camp that provides some instruction, ice time, some gear and lunch. That is Saturday morning not positive on the details but I'm sure the sponsor link could fill in the blanks.

www.naifc.com

Offline TroutTail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:35 PM »

Gosh I sure am happy that the weather is going to be warmer this year. It will be me, and my partners first time on Hebgen Lake. Any advice on a snowmobile vs 4 wheeler for the current conditions? We plan on prefishing the day prior but wont have time to switch equipment due to the long drive.

Offline creepincm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:42 AM »
You'll definitely want a snowmobile this weekend especially with the latest snowfall.  Good luck.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:15 AM »
You'll definitely want a snowmobile this weekend especially with the latest snowfall.  Good luck.

I was afraid of that - thanks for the update

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Wow  :o  I went out this morning and its gonna be a challenge this weekend.. damn slush!!  I could use a nap after all that digging and trudging. Not a whole lotta tracks out there...

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:10 PM »
LOL. you trying to scare everybody should've just told everbody looks the best it's ever looked. Stack the pot ha ha I better get the hovercraft out. Cruising up early 2morrow morning. See ya'll up there. Good luck 2 all teams.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:58 PM »
yeah that's what I meant... looks great :whistle: I'll be out in the morning again. Just to see if its still as fun as I remember it.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Unfortunately, Kyle is telling the truth...at least THIS time...

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline tbonez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:35 PM »
Never bad to be thinkin' about fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.