The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ice auger  (Read 2167 times)

oldschoolben

ice auger
« on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:01 PM »
I would like to get upgrade from my hand auger ,getting to old for that lol does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a good used one

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:16 PM »
OSB,

I'd start with Craigslist. Might have a to travel a bit if you find one, but could be worth while. I'd also poke my head into local pawn shops. If you're on Facebook, you might see about joining the Missoula Classifieds page. I see all sorts of everything come across the Helena Classifieds page. Plus you could always post In Search Of.

Hope that helps!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:18 PM »
Brand new mako 43cc from Glenn's army Navy for 279$ with free shipping right now http://www.glensoutdoors.com/eskimo-mako-43cc-8in-power-ice-auger.html

oldschoolben

« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:31 PM »
Thanks for the info, it much appreciated

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2016, 09:27 PM »
I would recommend the Mako 43. I have one and absolutely love it.  It's an ice eatin' monster!  Lol. And that's a good deal from Glens. Go for it, you won't be sorry.

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2016, 01:03 PM »
After going through 2 used augers, I agree and you're better off getting a new one for not much more $. Also look into the polar fires, got my nephew one of the four strokes and it looks like a solid machine.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2016, 04:56 PM »
I finally broke down, and pulled the trigger on a new power auger, never had one , I used hand augers and before that a spud bar, I wish I had bought one before, I got the new 4stroke honda lite! its amazing,I will fish alot more now, I'm currently at Ft.Peck killing big Pike!

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:11 PM »
 :icefish:
Are you at crooked creek by chance?

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2016, 11:37 AM »
I was fished fri. and sat. caught quite a few big northens, we had a crew so had almost 30 tip ups out.

oldschoolben

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2016, 12:21 PM »
My auger should be here Wednesday, I can't wait to use it

Offline Pdiddyinthesun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:11 PM »
Flowing

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:41 PM »
I'd lean towards a new one, in fact I just bought a new one, due to ethonol gas , improper storage etc. even if the guy starts it and it ran good ,agrevation on the ice can ruin a good day .

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:50 PM »
If you go with the Mako get the 8 in blade.  I got mine with a 10 and it seemed a little under powered.  Just bought a frabil 8 in blade we had on sale at sportsmans (they work on the eskimo augers) and it is a ice eating machine now.  Frabil blades are quite a bit sharper than the Eskimo ones I've bought as well.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:58 PM »
When I'm shopping for an ice auger, whether hand driven or motor driven, I check the blade to see how easy it is to sharpen.  A sharp blade cuts holes way faster and easier than a dull blade.  If the blade is hard to sharpen, you'll end up buying a new blade every year or so, which is expensive, and suffering with a somewhat dull blade for much of the time between blade purchases.  If you can keep the blade sharp yourself, your auger will slice through ice easily and quickly.

oldschoolben

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:19 PM »
I hot the mako 8"

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:24 PM »
I'd get a new Eskimo Mako eight inch so you have a warranty and aren't buying someone else's time bomb.  I have one and never had any problems and would definitely buy one again.  The deal LUNDIN-LOADING mentioned is a good deal. 

oldschoolben

« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:05 AM »
I used my new auger this weekend, I love it  thanks for everyone's help

Offline fillets-4-days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:56 AM »
I finally broke down, and pulled the trigger on a new power auger, never had one , I used hand augers and before that a spud bar, I wish I had bought one before, I got the new 4stroke honda lite! its amazing,I will fish alot more now, I'm currently at Ft.Peck killing big Pike!

Ive been eyeballin the new Honda 4 stroke for a while now.  Havnt seen many reviews on it as of yet though.
"What beautiful 'Eyes  you have"

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:26 PM »
Ive been eyeballin the new Honda 4 stroke for a while now.  Havnt seen many reviews on it as of yet though.
I can say I wished I'd bought it sooner! I'm babying it , change oil ,synthetic only, wipe down and oil coat the blades after each use, high test non-ethenol only, should be an heirloom when I'm done fishing. I've drilled a couple hundred holes this year,never dirty ice, I gotta hold her back where I see others leaning on there drill.

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:00 PM »
How hasty are you?  If you can get through this season with a hand auger, sharpen your blades the right way and put an ISO for your power auger on THE LIST during the summer months and you will find a deal.  [btw, sharp blades on a good hand auger are hard to beat, read NILS.  A properly sharpened Nils will beat most power augers and leave you with a nice, clean hole to boot]. 
I would like to get upgrade from my hand auger ,getting to old for that lol does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a good used one

Offline fillets-4-days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:03 PM »
I can say I wished I'd bought it sooner! I'm babying it , change oil ,synthetic only, wipe down and oil coat the blades after each use, high test non-ethenol only, should be an heirloom when I'm done fishing. I've drilled a couple hundred holes this year,never dirty ice, I gotta hold her back where I see others leaning on there drill.

Excellent, Im sold. haha
"What beautiful 'Eyes  you have"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.