The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How close is to close  (Read 2691 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: How close is to close
« Reply #30 on: Dec 17, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Of course:)

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it swims ive caught it
« Reply #31 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:07 PM »
i think if someone took an electric fence that would keep people away
if it bites I chase it

Offline RipLipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:10 PM »
Just don't pee on my shack and I am happy.

Offline RipLipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Was up at Ashley lake outside of Kalispell 17 years ago and the people loved having everyone close together.  They felt it attracted the little Kokanees better.  Don't mind meeting new people and seeing them catch fish and swapping info.

Offline Chasing Lunkers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:48 PM »
This is a good topic and lots of good info. For me, it definitely depends on the location and situation. Spitzo hit it on the nail.
I definitely enjoy my space especially on certain larger lakes, but in my experience, most ice fishermen are very welcoming to chit chat and conversation as long as you're not overbearing.

Offline rustychukar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Last year on tongue I was the first one in the area one day went out and drilled some holes and started fishing. A little while later I had a man and his wife come up and say we are going to fish in your holes because we've been fishing here all year.

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:51 PM »
Ya some people got no bubble. I remember one time people actual leap frogged my tip ups. I got to the point I parked my truck on the road so they had to walk 1/4 mile to even get to the ice

Offline snotsickle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2014, 02:29 AM »
Maybe I'm a hermit as well.  I would rather have poorer fishing in isolation than great fishing in a village.  My satisfaction comes from finding the fish on my own rather than sticking to other anglers like a "tick".  I don't really get too worked up and like to BS with other anglers if I get crowded in -as long as they are respectful.  That means:  no hollering at a damned dog that won't listen, don't let the dog run through your lines (actually had one get my hook in its leg once), don't make 50 trips back and forth with your wheeler, and for the sake of sanity -no domestic disputes!

Thankfully, most anglers in MT are respectful of others and I have had very few of these encounters.   

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Last summer I took the boy out perch fishing. We were catching nice ones and before you knew it, it was a Marina. One guy was maneuvering his boat about 15' away from mine. I finally said that there is a whole lake to fish either shut your boat off and fish or go elsewhere.

Like some of you, I like to be the first out. Even tho the lake is open to the public, 1st come first serve. Please stop buy and chat Sith me, just don't set up shop right next to me. If people are already at a spot that I like, I keep my distance and ask if I can fish a short distance from them.

As for keeping pesky anglers away,exercising my 2nd amendment usually keeps people away! ; )
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:53 AM »

On the other hand, my  .40 holds about a 2" group at 100 yds.   

Words of wisdom- never insult seven men when your packing a six shooter!
Col. Sherman Potter

;D

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:08 AM »
Generally, if I am fishing a popular cove, I expect others to be there or show up. gotta live with it,but in those situations, 30 yards is a good buffer. if on a big lake, 50 -100 yards is ok. of course, unless you invite them to fish with you. I do like fishing with someone else, but do not hesitate to go alone.

Offline Koda36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:31 AM »
I agree with the 100 yards.  Its really not that close unless your on a small lake and then its just common sense. 

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:54 AM »
The first rule is to ask. I like to punch lots of holes from shallow to deep and keep hole hopping to find fish. That may take 50 yards of ice. If someone asks I let them know what I am doing and where I feel ok with them being and vice versa. (It does suck when I say I am not fishing over that way 100 yards and they start wrecking them... ;) So I ask and expect others to ask. Does not take much effort.

That said I have this pet peeve on Peck where guys put out a single tip up per point and spend all day and night running for miles and then get pissed about others fishing those points, and they are big points. I stay at least as far away as a northern will run and go for it. I always am interested in how they react when I see a four ATVs roaring my way and they see me there.

In the past on Devils Lake I can recall a hundred guys set up arsehole to elbow over a huge March perch school. As long as everyone is piling them up nobody cared...how could they? But as been said MT is different.

Offline MontanaTroutSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:07 AM »
It all depends on location and size of the lake to me. If I were fishing Georgetown at the pump house or a small pond in town I would expect 15-20 yards. If I were at Fork Peck with tip ups I would hope for a couple hundred.. 

Offline BFM KCCO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Definitely depends on the size of lake. I'm a shanty fisherman that may occasionally put out a tip up. I enjoy the conversation, people walking around asking how the fish are biting, bs'ing here and there and just looking for an enjoyable day.  That being said, what erks me is when people sit in their vehicles and stare at their line of how ever many tip ups spread across 75-100 yards of ice and get pissed when someone gets close to those, or points them out. If you're covering that much real estate on a smaller lake do you really expect people to stay away or not set up within 100 yards as some guys are wanting? I've seen guys argue endlessly on the ice over these types of situations. If you don't want to talk to the other fisherman and get a feel for the buffer zone or be social, fine, but don't be surprised when people don't take kindly to it.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #45 on: Dec 18, 2014, 03:58 PM »
kind of switching gears, what about if u r the person who punches a lot of holes n some one shows up n tries one that u drilled?
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:01 PM »
if i left it cause i wasnt catching more power to them
if it bites I chase it

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:02 PM »
if i left it cause i wasnt catching more power to them
if it bites I chase it

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:41 PM »
So there's been some kidding about warning shots and target shooting. But seriously, this weekend I intend to put out the tip-ups and then set out the goose shells and start flagging. It's not a spot where I intend to see many people, but what's the etiquette?  ???

Cardboard sign at the parking spot?

Or should people see the decoys and have the good sense to not set up downwind?
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #49 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Don't ever assume that you think people will use common sense.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Never fished Montana, But if you guys ever fish Pennsylvania  .... Few lakes and lots of Icefisherman, so space is few and far between.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #51 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:43 PM »
It is good to hear all the comments! Glad to see people recreating and enjoying themselves. People have to respect others who are also recreating. The things that really get me going are LITTER BUGS, FISH left on the ice for birds, and my favorite people who don't pick up DOG POO on the ice!

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:24 PM »
50-100yds is close enough unless invited closer.
At Fort Peck ,Had a guy pull up 4 of my tip ups and set his shack up.
He left and his shack found its way down the lake.
He wasn't to happy when he came back.
serves him right I say.

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:32 PM »
I was talking with a friend today and new trick is I am going to drill holes outside their icehouse door. How many you think I can get in before they get their house moved. ........... I have heard of people going back to their holes that people have set up in and dropping tip ups through the ice or at least pulling them up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.