The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jiffy vs. Eskimo Propane Auger  (Read 6490 times)

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy vs. Eskimo Propane Auger
« on: Nov 14, 2014, 03:13 PM »
I've been trying to decide which one of these propane augers to get. A friend of mine has the Jiffy and said it worked great. I haven't found any reviews on the Eskimo. The Jiffy costs about $550 while the Eskimo is around $450. Quite a bit of difference! I appreciate everyone's comments.

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy vs. Eskimo Propane Auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2014, 04:11 PM »
The Eskimos are brand new and likely won't have reviews until later in the season.  Personally I'd roll the dice on a Eskimo.  I've been happy with their other augers so I wouldn't have a problem buying their propane.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hell Ain't a bad place to be!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2014, 07:01 PM »
I've got the jiffy pro 4. Put about 4 tanks through it. Has ran flawless for me. Easy to start, and plenty of power. I have owned Eskimos in the past and have loved them as well. I would never buy a first year model of anything. No matter what it is they always change things a little a few years in. All I am saying is give Eskimo a couple years to get the bugs worked out. I know that jiffy made a few changes since the original model. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2014, 07:48 PM »
I have the pro 4-10". I like it, it's heavy though. Mo's hc40 looks good, probably gonna be a great auger. Big plastic housing with a latch for the fuel tank looks sturdy but when it's frozen and bouncing in a jet sled across the lake, eh...... not to say the pro-4 is bullet proof, I tend to baby mine. If you can afford to wait a season til the mo has some real world reviews instead of being a guinea pig, unless of course you like to be the guinea pig. :bow:
Check out Glen's army/navy, forum sponsor, Pro4 @ $459, HC40 @ $429, free ship.
It must be something in the water.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2014, 09:02 PM »
I bought the jiffy and broke the plastic throttle first trip out, cold and plastic parts don't work.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Last year was my first year with a Jiffy Pro4 and I love it.  Plenty of power and good ergonomics.  I will never go gas again and will have a Jiffy for a long time. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:58 PM »
I never had any problems with Eskimo's products or customer service.  Jiffy has been making propane augers longer and worked through their issues but I think Eskimo took notes on Jiffy's issues and made sure to solve them before they had them.  That being said, I'd try the Eskimo because of the way better price and confidence that if there was an issue they'd make it right.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments.  I just looked it up online and the Jiffy is on sale... $100 off.  I guess that issue solved itself!

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Yup. Go with the Jiffy Pro 4.

My only problem after 2 years is a cracked breather tube. Just ordered a couple spares.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2014, 07:26 PM »
I have the Pro4 10" as well.  I bought it 2 years ago and it has never failed me.  Twice I have gone out over night on the ice and it always sat outside in below 0 temps.  In the morning it started up with only a couple pulls.  One day was blowing about 30 mph and the snow was drifting against the auger.  Each time we moved it fired right up and cut through the 30" ice with ease.  It's a good auger and it's only drawback is that it is on the heavy side.  Compared to the Eskimo in the same size it is only 2 pounds heavier according to the specs from their respective websites.  That's all the info I have.  Happy Hard Water!

Offline rustychukar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2014, 03:25 AM »
Bought the Eskimo propane auger today. I am going to try it out tomorrow so far I have had good luck with Eskimo products.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2014, 04:22 AM »
Looking forward to your comments on the Eskimo rustychukar.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Yup. Go with the Jiffy Pro 4.

My only problem after 2 years is a cracked breather tube. Just ordered a couple spares.

Had the exact same issue with mine after 2 seasons. Picked up a couple spares as well... Love the auger!

Offline rustychukar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Finally got a chance to use the new Eskimo worked great.

Offline icemanmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Jiffy propane only way to go

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I love my Jiffy Pro 4 10". I bought it last year after winning some money in the Murph Classic. I have a Jiffy 30 that has served me well for many years, and when I got the bonus decided to spend it on something that was ice fishing equip. It's so nice to never have fuel on my hands and no stinking exhaust to smell. I can't find a down side. Maybe having to make sure it's right side up because of the 4 cycle oil? That was actually easier to keep track of than I thought it would be.

Offline NodakBuckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2014, 12:08 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments.  I just looked it up online and the Jiffy is on sale... $100 off.  I guess that issue solved itself!

Got my Jiffy pro 4 8" at Reeds Sports for 409 and free shipping earlier this year and saw Fish Usa had it yesterday for same price.

Offline JWB

• IceShanty Rookie
  • .......and the hope that a fish will rise
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2014, 03:04 PM »
Dang! I just ordered one two weeks ago from Reeds for $479 but still better than what I would have paid in Montana

Offline ken k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2014, 05:01 PM »
I bought a jiffy 2 years ago had some carb issues. cleaned it and it works great

Offline qadventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2014, 08:21 PM »
One item I heard about regarding the Jiffy is that since it is a four stroke motor you have to be really careful how you set it down, transport it and store it. If you set it on it side incorrectly the crankcase oil can leak into the cylinder and make it difficult to start. I researched this issue by reading the owners manual on the Jiffy website. It says you should store and transport the auger in the upright operational position. That's a bit tough during transport unless you take the cutting head off the motor.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2014, 11:09 PM »
One item I heard about regarding the Jiffy is that since it is a four stroke motor you have to be really careful how you set it down, transport it and store it. If you set it on it side incorrectly the crankcase oil can leak into the cylinder and make it difficult to start. I researched this issue by reading the owners manual on the Jiffy website. It says you should store and transport the auger in the upright operational position. That's a bit tough during transport unless you take the cutting head off the motor.
When I first got mine I thought it was going to be a pain, but it just seems natural to set it on the one handle. I just set it in the back of my truck beside my ice house and it rides perfectly. I've never had it wrong side up yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.