The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody ever catch a Smallie out of CFerry?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody ever catch a Smallie out of CFerry?
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Two of my friends got a couple smallmouth from their boat several years ago, in the Goose Bay area, and then got one through the ice that winter. Before that I had heard random rumors of smallies there, and a couple stories of them being caught below Hauser Dam, but since then have not even heard even a rumor. Anybody have any input/stories/gossip/yarns re: smallies in the Helena area? 
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
smallie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Ive caught one in lake helena and a few in hauser.
Catch and release,into BACON GREASE!

Offline fish jedi

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anybody ever catch a Smallie out of CFerry?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:41 PM »
I've heard of a few caught off the rocky points near Hellgate Bay recently.  I caught a 3.5 pound Largemouth down by the Silos about 20 years ago.  A buddy of mine used to pick up some decent smallies in Lake Helena - over by where the creeks dump in.  That was about 7 or 8 years ago though.

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Fishery information and angler use of Lake Helena is presented in (1989) as follows:

Angler use is low on Lake Helena, ranging from 1,300 to 3,700 fishing days per year. Rainbow trout and brown trout are the most commonly caught species. Kokanee, walleye, and bass are also occasionally taken by anglers. Numerous species of fish have been introduced into Lake Helena since the 1920's, including sunfish, bluegill, largemouth bass, bullheads, and walleye. Fish were not stocked into the lake between 1962 and 1987 because earlier plants failed to produce an acceptable fishery. In 1988, the Department stocked 20,000 fry and 20,000 fingerling largemouth bass in an attempt to develop this fishery.

From Lake Helena WMA document

fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=30268
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Great info, guys! Thanks!

Offline jignhobo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:56 PM »
got 3 smallies by hellgate last summer and 3 pound below c.f damn 1st for me

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:04 PM »
I caught one last year around white earth pitching jigs in the rocks, would have got a pic but it was 1st day of the walleye tourney so I just cussed at it and let it go.

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Got a big one last year at Little Hellgate.  And one of the other locals got a beast at Court Sheriff.  Ohhhhh how I wish they would turn this thing into a warm water valhalla.  Release the emeralds, stock the crappie, smallies, and pure strain walleyes.   Please!

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Got a big one last year at Little Hellgate.  And one of the other locals got a beast at Court Sheriff.  Ohhhhh how I wish they would turn this thing into a warm water valhalla.  Release the emeralds, stock the crappie, smallies, and pure strain walleyes.   Please!

It really is just begging for it. I am of the opinion that fin-less and tail-less stocker 'bows make catching tout a lot less special. For me, is all I'm saying.. (--ducking verbal assault from trout-fans now--)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:02 AM »
I'd bet this would be a lot more feasible and desirable if it was not a river system:(

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Ohhhhh how I wish they would turn this thing into a warm water valhalla.

If by "they" you mean bucket biologists, it appears they're already working on it. As far as it being Valhalla ("hall of the dead"), the carp are working on that.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:26 AM »
I'd bet this would be a lot more feasible and desirable if it was not a river system:(

Truism! It is changing and evolving on its own, as are the management practices. Born Late's carp comment brought another interesting topic to mind- maybe one of you will have knowledge I dont--  Until a couple years ago there was a guy commercially harvesting carp from CFerry (and I was told Hauser/Lake Helena by someone else) for the Purina plant. The story I got was that there was some sort of tragedy and the nets got left in the lake for several days, resulting in a hefty fine for the guy.  I always thought that carp removal could be a topic for TU and WU to agree upon and maybe open a dialogue and reach a workable option. Dammit I ruined another thread, didn't I?

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:42 AM »
Really a non argument.  Yellowtail is full of all species including emerald shiners.  And it pours out into arguably the best trout fishery on the planet. 
If by "they" you mean bucket biologists, it appears they're already working on it. As far as it being Valhalla ("hall of the dead"), the carp are working on that.
I suspect some of its bucket biologists, but not all.  And the carp have been there since the beginning.  Although I deem them most responsible for the perch decline.    I do wish they would put a bounty on them though.  Something like a free bucket of emerald shiners for every 100 carp you turn in. 

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:24 PM »
I know one of the previous carp farmers got busted for taking walleye out of Lake Helena..
Catch and release,into BACON GREASE!

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Back to the smallies, I used to catch them on a regular basis trolling off the rocks on the north side point of magpie bay heading out towards cemetery island.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Actually it is an argue meant because upstream effects everything downstream. How big were they Albo?

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:53 PM »
Actually it is an argue meant because upstream effects everything downstream. How big were they Albo?
Ok so if thats the case.  Lets hear said argument.  Good or bad?  And why?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:20 PM »
How will shiners and crappie effect everything downstream?

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:29 PM »
The days of introducing non-native species is pretty much over given the prevailing knowledge/attitudes within the fisheries biology community. Too many instances of unintended consequences.

The last time I recall a state actively pursuing such a plan was in ND with European Zander being considered being introduced to Devils Lake, which was closed system at that time. The Canadians went off because they envisioned the lake flowing into the Red River again at some point, with Zander threatening walleye genetics. Sure enough, twenty years and forty feet of water later they were proven right. Zander were never planted and many people in ND feel the Canadians may have saved both fisheries.

I'd love a thriving CF walleye fishery again, but I seriously doubt anything will happen along these lines ever. The state is not about to risk the lawsuits and extensive (expensive)  studies that would be forthcoming. It may seem hypocritical in the Missouri system given the trout fishery is also artificial, but this is the current reality I feel.

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:45 PM »
Back to the smallies, I used to catch them on a regular basis trolling off the rocks on the north side point of magpie bay heading out towards cemetery island.

Thanks a million for all the info, guys!! Smallmouth and crappie are two species I have yet to catch and the prospect of catching a smallie from canyon ferry adds another level of excitement to fishing there.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:58 AM »
Ok so if thats the case.  Lets hear said argument.  Good or bad?  And why?

Canyon Ferry has many species we fishermen don't catch often because we don't target them.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.