The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: May be moving to Billings  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
May be moving to Billings
« on: Nov 05, 2013, 05:15 PM »
 The company my works for is thinking about sending her to Billings to take over a property up there. We will be making a trip next week to look around and decide if we are interested in relocating. Honestly, regardless of the pay raise and all, if there is nowhere for me to go ice fishing we will not move. Looking for some info on the area from folks up that way.
 We will be in Billings Monday thru Thursday next week and will have some time to go check out anything in the area.

Thanks for any input.

Tom

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
Re: May be moving to Billings
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2013, 05:33 PM »
You have quite a few options.  I'm not from that side of the state, but I know there are several good lakes to fish around there.  The snow is flying today, so I'm guessing more MT guys will be checking in here soon and they can give you the good info. 
  BE THERE!

Offline Buckshot86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2013, 06:10 PM »
It depends on preferences.   The Yellowstone River goes through town where it transitions from trout into catfish habitat.  There are two small ponds that freeze over, one stocked with trout and the other has bass/bluegill. Cooney is popular for walleye/trout at 45 minutes away. There are dozens of trout lakes in all the various mountain ranges plus trout rivers. Tongue Res. is about two hours away. It is roughly 8 miles long and good for ice fishing at times. Bighorn lake freezes over on the south end, but I've never ice fished it.
I prefer big walleye lakes like Fort Peck which is 3.5 hours away. I also go to Devil's Lake and Sacajawea in North Dakota as well as Lake of the Woods in Minnesota. For more information, the FWP website lists bodies of waters with species.

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2013, 06:20 PM »
There is lots of options around here i live two hours from Billings closer to yellowstone park.   Lots of trout in my area.   Big ice fishing tournament at Hebgan in january !!!!!!!! :tipup:
]

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2013, 07:33 PM »
Some of the best fishing in the state can be found within 2 hours of Billings. Nelson Resevoir and Ft Peck, big northerns and walleye especially thru the ice. Tongue River Reservoir where state record Northern and Crappie were taken. In MT we are used to driving 4-5 hours to hunt and fish...

Billins is biggest city in state and thriving economically due to oil boom.  Not the prettiest part of the state, but there are worse places.  You are only an hour and a half from Red Lodge (skiing) and Yellowstone park is just beyond that.  A guy could do worse ;D

Mike
www.perchassault.com
www.aablefishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2013, 08:26 AM »
I move from Billings to Great Falls a while back and seem to be spoiled here in central MT. Lots of good lakes within hour or so drive. If you are looking to for good fishing within an hours drive around Billings don't hold your breath. Now if you are willing to drive 2-3 hours, you can potentially have some great days on the ice! Personally, I love getting up in the wee hours of the morning and driving a couple hours with a coffee in hand to the lake. Just seems to be a little sweeter when you pull up to it and gets your blood pumping. Good luck on the move. Billings is a great town to live in.

MTA

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Tom- Fort Peck is about as good as you can get. Not exactly in your back yard but if I lived in Billings it would be my go to spot.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2013, 02:11 PM »
The company my works for is thinking about sending her to Billings to take over a property up there. We will be making a trip next week to look around and decide if we are interested in relocating. Honestly, regardless of the pay raise and all, if there is nowhere for me to go ice fishing we will not move. Looking for some info on the area from folks up that way.
 We will be in Billings Monday thru Thursday next week and will have some time to go check out anything in the area.

Thanks for any input.

Tom

Worlds better than anything Nebraska offers, a little more seat time involved though.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2013, 03:33 PM »
 I have no issues with driving a couple of hours or more for good fishing... or even mediocre fishing for that matter. My wife is a hotel general manager so I never have to pay full price for a room if I want to get adventurous. Never fished for trout, but have time in on walleyes and crappie and such. What about ponds? Are there many around?

When looking for a place to live we prefer smaller towns outside of the "Big City." Should we look north, south, east or west of billings to put us closer to some of these waters?

I really appreciate the info. Maybe we can get together once the move is done.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2013, 03:55 PM »
I have no issues with driving a couple of hours or more for good fishing... or even mediocre fishing for that matter. My wife is a hotel general manager so I never have to pay full price for a room if I want to get adventurous. Never fished for trout, but have time in on walleyes and crappie and such. What about ponds? Are there many around?

When looking for a place to live we prefer smaller towns outside of the "Big City." Should we look north, south, east or west of billings to put us closer to some of these waters?

I really appreciate the info. Maybe we can get together once the move is done.

South and East will put you closer to Tongue River Reservoir which is a decent fishery. West will put you closer to Canyon Ferry which I have heard is OK but I haven't fished it. North and East will put you closer to Fort Peck which is a world class fishery.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2013, 04:11 PM »
This video is of a member here and some of his friends on Ft Peck last year(3hrs 58 min from Billings):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSHY3QEEiTs&feature=share&list=PLzwk4g8PMg9G5swKS42vlC4bga7RLaJ0e

Same guys on Lake Frances(just under 5 hours from Billings):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdjRpMQWIc0&feature=share&list=PLzwk4g8PMg9G5swKS42vlC4bga7RLaJ0e

Same guys on Bynum Reservoir, Lake Frances, and Ft Peck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAGGB4SLbas&feature=share&list=PLzwk4g8PMg9G5swKS42vlC4bga7RLaJ0e

Offline Chasing Lunkers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Cornbread pretty much hit it on the spot. Those Gangsta Perch videos are awesome! How could you not want to live here?
Now for my input.... FORT PECK!  Worth the trip every time. Especially in the winter. I drive 5 to 6 hours to get there every time and it's well worth it. Like Cornbread said.... world class fishery!

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Wow. North and East it is. :)

Thanks fellas. I'll look you up when we get settled in. Should be right in the meat of the ice season.

Offline Baitslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Ok-- since no one has said anything negative about Billings, I guess I'll have to be the one to pee on your auger blades . . .

Billings is a typical big city - (big at least by Montana standards).  A bit smaller than Omaha or Lincoln, but some of the same issues.  Short of the Yellowstone and two very average to below average ponds, there is nothing close by to fish.  If you don't mind a few hours of driving each direction, Tongue river can be very good, and Peck is excellent, but both involve significant drive time.  Same goes for hunting- due to the population of the city, it takes a pretty good drive to get into any decent hunting territory.

However, people are friendly, schools are very good, and the economy is strong.  I actually like the city and what it has to offer a lot, but in terms of fishing and hunting, it would probably be my last choice of the 6 or 8 larger cities in Montana. 

Your experiences may vary!  Good luck wherever you end up.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid for over half a century

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2013, 07:15 AM »
 Thanks. There are positives and negatives to any place you go. I appreciate the honesty. It's just the wife and I as our kids are all grown and gone. We share similar interests, like ice fishing, catfishing and guns/shooting. Long drives are not that big of a deal for us, as we usually make a weekend of it. Looking forward to getting up there and looking around.

IceCreeper

« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2013, 11:02 AM »
If I had to move Billings is the last town in MT I would choose but its still better than the out of state options.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2013, 08:56 PM »
I live in Billings, and everything mentioned so far is fairly accurate.  However, since you list catfish as one of your main hobbies, I think you will love the Yellowstone. Invest in a jet boat, and you will be in prime smallmouth, walleye, sauger, and catfish waters within 15 minutes of town.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2013, 01:01 PM »
 I visited the billings Cabela's this morning. It was the first time I had ever been to a Cabela's. And it will probably be my last. You would think if you ask the guy putting up ice fishing gear a specific question regarding ice fishing, "Can you tell me if you will be getting the new Frabill shelters in?" that you would get an answer besides' "I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about." Really?

Anyway, drove around town for a bit. I don't get that "big city" feel here. I like the place. Lots to offer, especially to get my city-fied son and his family to come out to visit should we decide to make the move.

Talked to a guy about guns, he suggested going west to  Big Timber and check out The Fort.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2013, 02:36 PM »
Cabelas in general is a disappointment. You will find better and cheaper gear at the local shops Tom.

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2013, 03:04 PM »
The Fort in big timber is a great place they got a great selection.  The Boulder river there is beautiful also!
]

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Cabelas in general is a disappointment. You will find better and cheaper gear at the local shops Tom.

Totally agree. What Cabelas is good for is when they have something you can't find anywhere else you order it online with one of those 20% off coupons they are always mailing then have it delivered to the store and you pick it up for no shipping cost.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2013, 03:33 PM »
The Fort in big timber is a great place they got a great selection.  The Boulder river there is beautiful also!

Thanks for that, may have to check it out tomorrow when we go sight seeing.

Offline Htech77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2013, 08:57 PM »
If you make the drive to Red Lodge take a side trip to Cooney res. It's gonna be your home ice if you decide to move. I think the Scheels in Billings is where most of the locals shop.

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:45 PM »
If you make the drive to Red Lodge take a side trip to Cooney res. It's gonna be your home ice if you decide to move. I think the Scheels in Billings is where most of the locals shop.

I agree augers at scheels are an average of 50$ cheaper and everything else is quite a bit cheaper too. I'm not sure if that'll be the case when they move to their new location they're building but as of right now it's the cheapest

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:47 PM »
I visited the billings Cabela's this morning. It was the first time I had ever been to a Cabela's. And it will probably be my last. You would think if you ask the guy putting up ice fishing gear a specific question regarding ice fishing, "Can you tell me if you will be getting the new Frabill shelters in?" that you would get an answer besides' "I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about." Really?

Anyway, drove around town for a bit. I don't get that "big city" feel here. I like the place. Lots to offer, especially to get my city-fied son and his family to come out to visit should we decide to make the move.

Talked to a guy about guns, he suggested going west to  Big Timber and check out The Fort.

You will find that in MOST Montana retailers, the ice fishing segment is entirely underserved.  Expect repeats of your Cabelas experience in a lot of the other larger retailers. Exceptions are Snappy's in Kalispell, Lewistown Sports in Lewistown, and surprisingly this year, Big R in Great Falls. (Not sure about the knowledge at Big R, but a good selection this year)

That is the main reason I started the tackle truck idea this year, so folks could get great selection, great prices from guys who KNOW and LOVE ice fishing...without having to go across the state to the good places.

Of course, I talked about it too much in the threads, some people got annoyed and it got locked by the Mods...so I can't tell you I will be in Billings this weekend if you are still around.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

IceCreeper

« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:58 PM »
People got annoyed because you have turned the MT section into your own private advertisement section for your tackle,gear and tourneys,every thread you post in turns into a promo for something you or your buddies are selling,this thread is just another example,your going to "bless us with pete's tackle"?Give me a break,like nobody was able to get ice fishing gear before you guys came along?Sportsmans in Helena is getting better every year,checked out their ice section today and its looking good so far.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2013, 10:10 PM »
If your into cattin' Billings is a sweet place to live. The mighty stone is an excellent fishery. P.M. me if you make the move.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:16 AM »
People got annoyed because you have turned the MT section into your own private advertisement section for your tackle,gear and tourneys,every thread you post in turns into a promo for something you or your buddies are selling,this thread is just another example,your going to "bless us with pete's tackle"?Give me a break,like nobody was able to get ice fishing gear before you guys came along?Sportsmans in Helena is getting better every year,checked out their ice section today and its looking good so far.

These guys are doing good things for the state and sport of ice fishing. I don't understand why you are so bitter about it. They are pursuing a passion not trying to make a million bucks. Ease off the gas there buddy.

MTA

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:20 AM »
These guys are doing good things for the state and sport of ice fishing. I don't understand why you are so bitter about it. They are pursuing a passion not trying to make a million bucks. Ease off the gas there buddy.

MTA
Thats what i was thinking.   :tipup:
]

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Thanks Fellas. Creeper obviously has his own ideas what this forum is about...to each his own, but I appreciate your support

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.