The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: tip ups  (Read 1275 times)

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
tip ups
« on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Hey all--- I am looking at buying some tip-ups this season. I have never used these before and have found there are a few variations. Does anyone have preferences/ suggestions for a newbie user? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:50 PM »
just dont get the cheapest ones wholesale sports sells.. get the ones that are a couple dollars more, way better product. i also have one of the wood style that works excellent but they are a little more spendy.

Bullelk34

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:50 PM »
I like polars, they don't freeze up and you can tell if the fish is running very easily. But truth be told, the cheap "x" style ones work well too. Saw some for $3.00 each today at Wholesale Sports. When I started ice fishing in the 80's, I bought 6 cheapos and upgraded a few at a time.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:51 PM »
different people like different tip ups, what have you used? 

I'd make sure to buy quality, because taken care of most last a really long time.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:52 PM »
Polars all the way my dad has been using them for over 30 years and still work like brand new.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:58 PM »
never tried the x style but the cheap ones i am referring to are a dark blue and only 3 dollars or so less, i believe they were ht enterprise brand.. all i know is i bought a equal number of them and the frabill ones and all the ht enterprise have missing parts. and the frabil are still going strong..

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I started out with the HT brand. They were the ones that had 2 parallel bars, separated by about 3" of space. They had their center shaft well lubed so no water could get into the sleeve and freeze. With this model, the hole was rather open, resulting in quicker freezing and filling with blowing snow. I believe all their other models follow this design as well. I then got some of their "disc" types. I really liked them because they help keep the hole open in really cold weather and in windy conditions where snow would blow in the hole. (I later made the original ones like the disc models by attaching them to plywood bases). I also got half a dozen of the "windlass" types. They were intended to have an arm with a wing on it that would move up and down in the wind (thereby jigging the lure/bait). The reel is up and out of the water. IF it is warm enough and there is a breeze, they work fine. HOWEVER, if it is below freezing (32F) and the line gets wet on the reel, it won't pay out when taken by a fish, as the reel will be frozen solid!!! Honestly, these sit in the garage most of the time....  After 25 yrs. my original TUs were losing some of the smooth spinning......I suspect grease gumming up or water may have gotten in. So I called HT, explained my problem to them, and not only did they tell me how to "repack" the grease in the shaft sleeves, but sent me the grease for free!!!!! Hope this helps......just my $.02!

Ed

Bullelk34

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:03 PM »
Agreed- with any of the cross styles you probably need to keep an eye on the hardware. Heck, Ive lost parts off some of my polars over the years too.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:15 PM »
I had a few polar HT's back in the day, I wound up breaking the spools.  The last thing I am is careful when ice fishing, I am hard on stuff and fish fast and furious and worry about broke stuff later, they weren't that strong and they were destroyed quite easily by my ways.  I wound up with 6 heritage lakers a few seasons back, coated them in tongue oil, marked the spools so I could see them spin, put reflective tape on the flags so I could see them popped at night and made hole covers out of old mud flaps I found laying on road sides and ditches.  These are mine and I love them.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Used several different types but all are mostly cheap crap. If you ant something hearty go with Indian Hill Ice traps. Several different styles to choose from and built with American pride.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Have to say those look a lot better than the heritage lakers, I especially like their spools.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:32 PM »
I had to remount all of my studs since they came out so easily and I replaced all of my wing nuts with lock nuts and now adjust my drag with a multi-plier, so mine were definitely not with out issues.

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:31 AM »
I agree that polar are the way to go.  Easiest to use by a long shot.  The stick one's are ok but you don't want to use them in the wind.  Also the round ones that cover the hole can freeze in and be tough to chip out.  The original polar is probably the best to get in my opinion.

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:40 AM »
These are pricey but will last a lifetime. I plan on passing them down someday.

http://jacktraps.com/

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:21 AM »
All of mine are the HT's cheapo's,they work thats all I can say.
BBJ

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:13 AM »
I've found that it doesn't matter much what type you use just take good care of them and don't let them get too frozen in...I've never had a tip up break on me no matter what kind unless I broke it trying to get it out of the ice...

Offline icefich

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:32 AM »
I have to agree with Henry Chinaski about buying quality. You always end up spending more in the long run when buying cheap stuff. That being said, it's also hard to spend a pile of money on something when I'm not sure if I will like it. If I had it to do all over again, I would buy some cheap ht's. Stick or flat, they both work, and they both have their advantages. If you decide you like ice fishing, then I would buy one or two jack traps each year until I had six. They realy are the best traps I have ever used. They are also made in usa, and will last a lifetime. One of the things I like best about them is the flag trip mechanism. It "almost" eliminates "wind flags". You will find out how frustrating they can be as you get into ice fishing. Keep the cheaper ones for your kids to use as they grow up, or to let a friend use so you can introduce them to ice fishing as well. You can also get some good deals on craigs list or ebay, though now probably isn't the best time of year to get the best price. One last thing, even though you didn't ask about it: Please be careful when going out on the ice. Don't assume you know how thick it is until you verify it for yourself. Ice thickness can change in just a few feet, and can change from day to day also. I don't mean to preach, just don't want to see your ice fishing career cut short.... :-\     Good Luck!  :tipup:

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Hey all---

Thanks for all the pointers... Just as I figured, would be a wide variety as with everything else each individual has their preference. Will probably try buying one or two of different styles/brands to try each out.

Thanks again!

Offline wolfkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • take the old women she might be worth one donkey!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:08 PM »
i have polars from scheel an they work fine

Offline grizinidaho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2011, 01:03 PM »
I had used the x shape ones for about 5 years and my mom was in big r in great falls and they had the ones that sit flat on sale for 4 bucks and the difference in ease of use is tremendous.  Especially if you fish where the darn wind blows the x style ones have more false hits and sometimes long trips across the ice to reset them.  I'm taking a couple of kids fishing tomorrow and I intend to buy another 2-10 depending on the price.

Offline bitterroot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Beaver Dam tipups are a good quality and reliable tip even in the coldest of climates.  Little more money than the ones sold around here but they last for ever. Mine are over 20 yrs old and work like new.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.