Author Topic: best setup for tiny jigs?  (Read 3350 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
best setup for tiny jigs?
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 AM »
Fish are real finicky right now so im gonna downsize to a size 14 or smaller marmooska style jig. Should i use a spring bobber since im going so tiny?
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: best setup for tiny jigs?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:51 AM »
A well balanced, adjustable spring bobber. 2# fluorocarbon at most and tie the jig on with a surgeons loop has worked for years. #14 jigs are pretty much the standard start size for me, then it may go down in size

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:00 PM »
Yes a spring bobber will help to see bites up or down.But it will slow down the jig movement. Depends on whats triggering the bites. Getting that pounding cadence with a spring bobber can be difficult. The main thing is to match line weight with the jig weight,so that the line stays tight to the jig with no bends or coils.Sight fishing if possable, sonar is helpfull too.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:34 PM »
if your rod has a real stiff action, a spring bobber is probably pretty necessary. all of my rods are sensitive enough that i can feel most bites. i also use bright green, black, or blue line so that if i can't feel the bite, i can at least see the line move or go slack when i jig.
i seldom fish jigs larger than a size 16, unless the fish are really aggresive.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:53 PM »
 I would use a spring bobber for sure. It helps the jig action and the bite detection. I would also want to use light line to sink the tiny lures faster.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2013, 08:59 AM »
I would use a spring bobber for sure. It helps the jig action and the bite detection. I would also want to use light line to sink the tiny lures faster.

A spring bobber doesn't always help the action. In fact some times it will hinder that action you desire. This last season I couldn't get a gill or a perch for that matter to hit a soft jigging bait(ie: using a spring bobber) they all wanted it on a pounding action and while you can do that with a spring bobber it is very difficult. Somedays they will want that slower methodical jig and that is where a spring bobber works beautifully.

When its comes down to using very small jigs I will grab my two best noodle rods and reels with 2lbs or even 1lbs test when I can find it. Generally I try to sight fish with these setups but that's not always possible so I am forced to really watch the rob tip. Anytime I think I may have seen the tip move I set the hook, I may set it on phantom bites quite a bit but at least I know I'm not missing anything

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2013, 11:03 AM »
I use a slip bobber because it gets my jig to the depth I want and I don't have a mess of line out to get tangled.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.