Author Topic: fishing after dark?  (Read 4481 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
fishing after dark?
« on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:32 PM »
Anybody had any luck fishing after dark? First timer here and not sure we are gonna catch anything after the sun goes down. Any tips?
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fishing after dark?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:43 PM »
You'll never know until you try!

Some fish are just as active at night as they are during the day.
(That's why they sell "glow-in-the-dark" jigs.)

Depending on where you fish (some places prohibit fishing/loitering after dark, you may be asked to leave when they make their rounds.
I'm talking about local police. I used to night fish at Buckmaster Pond in Westwood, but due to the ever present town punks, they close the park/area at sunset.

If you find a suitable body of water, you would want to invest in a submersible light of some type. I use a few small LED flashlights double sealed in zip-lock bags and dropped to desired depth. They light up enough of the area to attract small aquatic plankton/baitfish which will attract predators.

It's worth a try if for nothing else but getting to fish a pond without any crowds!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Has become my preferred approach. For a few hours through and after sunset or hit the ice between 4 and 5 AM then fish past dawn. Has seemed to have advantages on heavily fished waters for the bigger fish. Don't over look midday as well. Numerous threads covering it here

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:27 PM »
I'm with swift...some of my best fishing throughout New England is in the dark...always try it...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Being this is posted in the bluegill section, I will assume that is what we are talking about.

Unless the water is VERY clear and there is still light transmission through the ice, OR the gills are under intense pressure, night fishing is usually not very productive in the winter.

Crappies on the other hand, feed much more actively from dusk till dawn.

Fish sunfish by day, and crappies by night.... ;)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Gonna give it a go tomorow nite. Hoping the light from the lantern will bring in some big gills and crappie!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:18 PM »
The only way you will know is to try... The only wasted fishing trip is the one that you don't learn anything!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Gonna give it a go tomorow nite. Hoping the light from the lantern will bring in some big gills and crappie!
Try deadsticking something just off the bottom, I'm talking an inch or less off bottom. Some waters I fish the 'gills (sometimes even Perch) are skimming the bottom right under the Crappies. Very fond of horizontal jig and a Glow Tri-Tail, Nuggie, Weedge........ around 1.5"- 2" overall, they'll slurp them in like spaghetti

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:52 AM »
all depends on the lake....thats all i can say.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:17 PM »
I agree with the post above, some lakes have a great gill bite that goes on for awhile  after dark. You might have stumbled onto this while targeting crappie. (at least I did) Usually the fish run bigger than in broad daylight, and they tend to be more aggressive, since not many guys are actually trying for them at that time.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:26 PM »
Great vid on night time gills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqWiagd7E-M
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Nice video of slob fish, Townie. The story line sounds familiar......... ;)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2013, 05:23 AM »
Nice video.

WS

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:45 AM »
bluegill will bite after dark, but it's not usually a common thing. i'd recommend using a submersible fishing light (if it's legal in your state) to light up the area and draw in plankton, which will draw in the bluegill as well. even a bright lantern in shallow water would help.

clearer water is better because it allows more light penetration and therefore makes it easier for the fish to find your bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.