Author Topic: Pumpkinseeds?  (Read 8009 times)

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pumpkinseeds?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:28 PM »
Open water 'Seeds  :)

Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:41 PM »
Nice fish! I love how much color variation you get with these fish; sometimes even within the same body of water.

Offline tundraboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:59 PM »
I love catching seeds, and of course eating them too; mostly when on ice, though.
(Image removed from quote.)
These are all pumpkinseeds? I was in a spot today and caught what I thought were 2 different species.They were just like the ones in this picture. This is the first year Ive ever caught them through the ice.
Love to fish but live to hunt

Offline fish hunter2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Some guy said yesterday he won't eat seeds. I think he is a moron! They taste the same as a gill. Caught some 8 to 9 inches this year. Pretty good fighters.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:00 PM »
These are all pumpkinseeds? I was in a spot today and caught what I thought were 2 different species.They were just like the ones in this picture. This is the first year Ive ever caught them through the ice.

the top 2 look like pure gills, all the others have at least some pumpkinseed to it ;)
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Good call from above post.(mt.redneck)  Six of the fish are seeds, they have red on the gill plate. The others are run of the mill  blue gills. That was my take home at days end so some of the color was a bit faded.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:06 PM »
Good call from above post.(mt.redneck)  Six of the fish are seeds, they have red on the gill plate. The others are run of the mill  blue gills. That was my take home at days end so some of the color was a bit faded.

thanks van cleaver. I wish I had nice sunfish like this in the pond just outside of town but maybe someday since the fish and game started stocking tiger muskies in it. I'm starting to see more bigger fish(6 inches) most are 4 inches.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:04 PM »
If it makes you feel any better the small lake these fish came from is a good two hours North of me. By far the best blue gill producer I've seen, though some days they can be really tough to jig as it only has a max depth of 7'. Hoping too get back there soon. ;) As for muskies, a lot of guys of guys don't like the fact that certain lakes are stocked with them around here, yet the lake with the most muskies also has the biggest gills, crappie and perch. Hmmmm.....

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:14 PM »
the pond I fish is only 7-8 feet deep also, and the sunfish can be a pain to get to bite. I'd try to find the weed line that exists in the summer but I think it completely dies off in the winter so I just have to move a lot till I find fish that want to play.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #39 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:52 PM »
 The are a bonus catch when I go bluegill fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.