Author Topic: Line setup  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Line setup
« on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:00 PM »
What are you guys using. Last year I used all mono but I lined one reel with all flouro but didn't like the whole reel with money so was thinking mono leaders? Should I just use a swivel then like 2 or 3 feet of flouro as a leader? I was thinking the swivel to limit line twist but what pound test? I'm still pretty new to flouro. Also what pound backing would you use?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Re: Line setup
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:16 PM »
flouro for gills is a waste of money imo mono and flouro don't make a difference on the gills.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2012, 07:14 PM »
I have not found a swivel that will actually work with light lures and I have tried a bunch, I use an Alberto knot to attach my leaders, open water and Ice.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2012, 02:05 AM »
I'm not a fan of swivels for panny's.  I use back to back uni when wanting or needing a leader.  All floro is good to go on a fly reel but on a smaller spool size on a spinning reel use super line and a leader.  I feel a swivel takes away from the control and feel of small jigs used on gills.
]

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Okay I wasn't sure what line and what pound test are you guys using.

Offline Tod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2012, 12:04 PM »
2# P Line CXX has worked well for me the last 4 yrs fishing gills and crops and have landed some big pike on the same line. Cortland camo ice or McCoy 1# is nice for spooky clear water gills

www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=97
Bring It

Offline DaveW731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2012, 12:05 PM »
My line choice depends on setup.  If I am tightlining, so I am watching for the line to move to signal a bite, I use 2# high visibility line, such as gold Stren or Cajun redline.  I do use about 2' of 2# flouro leader (tied uni to uni knot), but that is as much for the fact that the flouro line sinks and helps size 12 or  14 jigs get down a bit faster.
If I am using a bobber (either float or spring) I will use 1# Berkley Ice mono. 
"There is no failure, except in no longer trying"

Offline sunnie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2012, 10:57 AM »
My line choice depends on setup.  If I am tightlining, so I am watching for the line to move to signal a bite, I use 2# high visibility line, such as gold Stren or Cajun redline.  I do use about 2' of 2# flouro leader (tied uni to uni knot), but that is as much for the fact that the flouro line sinks and helps size 12 or  14 jigs get down a bit faster.
If I am using a bobber (either float or spring) I will use 1# Berkley Ice mono.
great set up i use 4lb gold stren then 2lb or 4lb clear flouro leader of about 2ft long as i too am a line watcher :bow: :icefish:

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2012, 10:39 PM »
i HIGHLY recommend this stuff http://www.fish307.com/hticeblackiceline.aspx
limp, low stretch, cheap, and very visible both above water and when viewing on an underwater camera. i'm going to be ordering more of it this year because it just doesn't have the memory that other lines have. i never have to deal with the coils and kinks that i have to deal with on all the other rods i own. incredibly thin too, about half the diameter of the 4 lb test on all my other rods.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:30 AM »
Anyone that has yet to try Asso line is missing out. It is truly the best line I have ever put my hands on (for small dia ice line). I use it on all my gill rods, it is crazy thin and very strong

http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/asso.html

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2012, 03:28 PM »
I;ve been using Bekley's Fire Line Micro Crystal in the 1ib-3lb ranges.  It's not a limp or flexible in comparison to other lightweight lines, but It's very tough stuff., have never broke a line yet.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:38 PM »
Been using the vicious panfish ice with good results. 3# test for me!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:49 PM »
ande green 4,6,8......ande ande ande.....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:39 AM »
 I use a rod with 8 pound mono and catch them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.