Author Topic: help find the slobbos  (Read 2683 times)

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
help find the slobbos
« on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:35 PM »
About 2-3 weeks ago I hit a pond that has a spring and is VERY remote witha  2 mile hike in (no fun with the vex, hand auger, and rods/shiners)

Its spring fed and one small 15 foot area stays open- the ice looked unsafe then but it was just the edges as I went there last week and found 8-10in of ice which was a shock after we ha donly 2-3 days of cold weather. The first time i shore fished and nailed a couple nice perch for my neck of the woods right around a foot on a curly tail (white) In about 4 feet of water Im thinking. Just bumping the curly tail along the rocky bottom. I had a crawler out and got nothing (same with a shiner)

When I went there last time I raised ALOT of fish on the vexilar with a hali and with a tear drop jig but only got a single perch to commit on the hali and a couple dinkers on a techni glow lady bug thingy tipped with a worm piece on 4 pound test. I was fishing 10-12FOW right near a rockslide/on it which may be the deepest area.

Im lost and I need to find the fish.... heres the best i can do at a map of the lake and depths I know.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: help find the slobbos
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Photo bucket keeps resizing it..... ugghhh

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2006, 08:12 PM »
NICK.....you're already on the fish.....one of the most important tips I can share with you is this one......whatever you tip you presentation with.......DO NOT EXPOSE the hook point.....perch are not stupid when it comes to sucking it in.....if there is any exposure...they will move away....or spitout.....Grump

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2006, 06:05 AM »
Il give that a whirl next time- do you think the fish will be moving shallowier due too spawn? I mite try the cove out none the less but its only about 25-30feet wide... im more interested in the back sides of the points.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2006, 11:06 PM »
NICK.....you're already on the fish.....one of the most important tips I can share with you is this one......whatever you tip you presentation with.......DO NOT EXPOSE the hook point.....perch are not stupid when it comes to sucking it in.....if there is any exposure...they will move away....or spitout.....Grump

How about a treble hook for perch Grump, would you put bait over each of the points on it?
:-\

WW

billybono

« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:48 AM »
i think your line is a little heavy imho.

billybono

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:28 PM »
go with 3lb test in the am and afternoon and use 2lb for the slow midday bite use something other than a hali use a number 10 or 12 jig  tipped with 3 maggots and when you mark a fish  slowly lift the jig up and watch what the fish does (it should chase it and hit it) Also make sure you are using a ultra lite rod or a spring bobber. Also note the size of the marks on your vex and the size of the fish when you catch it. After a year of using your vex you'll beable to judge fish size without even catching them. Makes it much easier to keep moving untill you find the big ones :)

OKay that should get you going for now

good luck
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:59 PM »
Been skunked 3 times in a row on a different closer lake now.... Couple sniffers and a fish that stould still and wouldnt touch anything including a shiner that took up almost a foot incrememnt of bruight red on the vex- maybe a carp? It left after i guess I bounced a hali off of it.

This new spot goes from 5foot deep 6-7feet from the shore to 7FOW about 9-10 feet from shore and then 15 feet from shore is 15-25foot

Still cant find amany if any takers.... im out of two pound test and i think the 4 is really hurting me

Been using mealies, crawlers, and spikes with no luck- havent even gotten a fish on tipups..... its about the end of the season and this new lake is BIG with a small inflow strem about 1/8 mile from my spread area.... I was ina 30 foot area over all sorts of depths in a spot that is perfect for smallies... nada maybe a coupel looker perch but thats it

Im getting depressed but I ahve permission to fish a private pond for an hour tmw AM before I have to go to school at 11 (statewide testing for sophmore s and im a junior so I get to go in late) Ive snuck in there once before in the summer and remember getting a nice perch and a few big gills but it was fast and I felt bad for fishing there. he saw me on the lake litterally 200 foot from his property maybe 500foot from his lake and said to try there tomorrow so we'll see.Seemed lieka  nice guy and he was intrigued by the vex

Im getting good with the vex just seems the fish arent coperating and its a mile bikeride with the vex- rod-shiners-auger-safety goods-jigs-cleats-tipups

Tomorrow just the vex, rods, worms, and auger- still alot.... Its ahrd to balance and its a b***h to carry and I wish I could get to some favorable water.... Im losing the faith and my dad doesnt have time to icefish due to debts-

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2006, 06:55 PM »
DO NOT EXPOSE the hook point.....perch are not stupid when it comes to sucking it in.....if there is any exposure...they will move away....or spitout.....Grump

Maybe that's my problem why I have problems only getting a few here and a few there and get lots to chase but not a lot to commit????  That's a good pointer I think - I'll have to try it the next time!

NickP - my advice is if you're already over the fish (that's the biggest problem is tracking them down!!!) - keep trying different things until you find what works!  Bait and tackle that works one day might not work the next day.  I would also agree w/ some of the guys too in saying downsize to smaller lb. test line.  I never got one my first year on the ice and the 2nd I switched all my light action poles to 2lb test and then I managed to start getting a couple of them... my $.02

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.