Author Topic: Ratso for perch  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Ratso for perch
« on: Jan 19, 2005, 12:19 AM »
Hi everyone,
 Have any of you ever used the Custom Jig & Spin Ratso for Perch? If so what color seemed to be the most effective for you, what jigging action did you employ and did you bait the lure or not?

Tight lines!  :D

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Ratso for perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Ratsos are one of my favorite ice fishing lures. They are killers for all trout and panfish, even for bass and pike. I use the #6, which is the biggest, most all of the time. I like blue glow, chartreuse, and white the most. But pink and orange also work great. I always tip them with a single waxworm, doesn't hurt the tail action that much. The smaller #8 and #10 work best for when panfish are tight lipped. Those need to be tipped with a single maggot. I just fish them with a very gently bobbing/twitching motion, and pause for about 10 seconds while the tail continues to shimmy. When a fish comes on screen, just very lightly twitch it once and alternate with pauses. They usually inhale it.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2005, 10:49 PM »
Don't forget the shrimpo, its verticle-hanging partner. They both are great for all panfish, and  rainbows really go nuts for them. If there are pike in your lake, watch out, at crawford in colorado this year I had 5 pike snap me off with my 2 lb. test while fishing for perch. I managed to land a 3lb. pike on 2 lb. test. Tipping them is a must.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2005, 01:43 AM »
TFB is right, the shrimpo's are awesome too. Sometimes the fish want the horizontal pres. (ratso), sometimes the vertical (shrimpo) works best. I think they are equally deadly, with the shrimpo getting the nod for pansies and the ratso for trout.

Tyler

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2005, 12:54 PM »
Thanks for the info guys,
  Have you tried any of the glow ratso or shrimpos yet? The lake I fish has Pike, Walleye and Perch, so I will have to be careful not to loose the ratso those big toothy critters, the pike. I think the glow ratso should be good for night walleye fishing also when they are look for a small subtle persentation.

Good fishing all    --------- :tipup:----------
                                       I
                                       I   
                                       <*)}}}><

Water Wolf

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2005, 05:37 PM »
I use primarly the glow colors on ratsos and shrimpos. They are good for deep water panfish during the day and for crappies in the evenings. My favorite is the white glow and blue glow.

Tyler

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2005, 12:34 PM »
I wish they made a bigger ratso for lake trout and pike. Like A size 0 or 2 maybe? It would be awesome....
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2005, 02:05 PM »
You are  right Trout Fishing Bear, a larger ratso would be a good lure for pike or lake trout when they are a bit finicky. Tight lines   :D

Water Wolf

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2006, 12:08 PM »
I USE BOTH OF THEM ALL THE TIME GREAT JIGS
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2006, 12:16 PM »
I bought a kit from CJS this winter...I love the ratso and shrimpo but I never even thought to tip them. I thought the whole idea behind the success was the shape and tail motion. If you tip them does that not hinder both of those?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:36 PM »
Tip them with one maggot, it's small enough to not effect the tail action. If you have any doubts, swim it in the hole to observe. Then adjust if you have to. If you tip them too large or heavy, you will affect the action. I'm talking smaller sizes, 10 is standard for me. A larger size will let you go a bit heavier; but less is usually more when tipping finesse jigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.