Author Topic: picky perch?  (Read 5083 times)

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
picky perch?
« on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:35 AM »
I have a question for the perch boys. I have been fishing an area that I have been catching a few perch. Some days are good some bad. What I find is that that bite heavy then they seem to get lockjaw. I can look down a hole and see all kinds of fish. I know they are there but they wont bite. I use a 2" rapala jig usually to catch these when they bite with spikes. Should I go with a smaller bait? Small jig with minnow? Micro sized jig? I'm just curios what you guys would do. I will also add that this is heavily fished. Any advice would truly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: picky perch?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Any and all of the above, each body of water seems to be different. Often it's get away from the minnow look and imitate a wiggler or worm. Just have to remember, they will hit something if it's in there face................ma ybe ::)

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:47 AM »
I do good on Halli's with live wigglers, or try different small vertical and horizontal jigs and no more then 2lb test line in fluorocarbon, I use SEAGUAR.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:49 AM »
Live wigglers? You mean spikes or mousies? Not sure what you mean.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline mikefishon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:16 AM »
i have my best luck with a hali or buckshot tipped with a very small piece of worm. i carry 3 jig sticks rigged with different colors sometimes the change helps with those fussy ones

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:38 AM »
No expert here but I've but a ton of perch on the ice this year.  This is what I do when they get like that.  I like your using the jigging rap.  I always "search" with a rap or a buckshot.   Something that will attract fish and bring them in, but it sounds like your on fish.  Often enough, after the fish are there sometimes the "lockjaw" effect sets in.  You have a bunch of fish in there but they won't hit.  I always keep two jigging rods on me when I am going for perch.  One with the buckshot/jiggin rap.  Another with the smaller jig.  Something still big enough to get down fast but small enough to trigger a strike.  I like small frostees, genz worms, footballs or small minnow painted jigs from jammin jigs (mostly chartreuse or white) for that.
Never underestimate the power of a good strike indicator in those situations, sometimes they hit it and you just can't tell
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Live wigglers? You mean spikes or mousies? Not sure what you mean.
http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/pres_wigglers.html Something more along this line. You can get them live in good baitshops

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:29 PM »
When this happens to me my goto is a pimple with a plain droper hook. To make this take a pimple and remove the hook. Tie mono on where the hook was and tie a plain hook on to the mono about 4-6in below the pimple. The pimple will give it flash to bring the fish in. When you see the fish stop jigging and very slowly raise the jig. Works good most of the time. Some times it helps to drop it on the bottem and then raise it up. good luck stay safe.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:44 PM »
This is all good stuff guy's,much appreciated.

Offline bluegillhunter3694

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:58 PM »
I would go with a small jig with spikes or a waxworm on 2-3lb monofilament or a small spoon with a dropper rig with the same bait.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Forage Minnow Fry usually seals the deal
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Any particular size or color in forage minnow seem to work better than the others?

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Find some fresh wigglers. If you can. They work great around here.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2011, 02:36 AM »
Sometimes when they become lockjawed, just pound the bottom with a large lure.  This usually can trigger a few more into biting.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline downunder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Scud Bug gets them for me every time.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:42 AM »
I second the wigglers. Also, you might want to try freshwater shrimp.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:05 AM »
i have the same problem what i do is try every lure with every bait combination that i have till i catch them.

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:07 AM »
Gulp fry on a plan hook used as a dropper under a kasmaster.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Go and pound mud.....this makes it look like active feeding of fish then drop a diamond jig under a kastmaster or pimple with a eye or maggots.
Works for me.
BBJ

Offline twistedfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2011, 04:25 AM »
no expert  small jig light line and keep on the move to find perch that will bite

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:44 AM »
One day years ago i was fishing a particular lake,punched a hole and caught perch non-stop fora hour or better.was using a certain jig and hammering it,then sorta slowed down,used something different and picked up again.after that hour and a half was up ,someone shut the light switch OFF. and i mean off.They were their,i now had time to set up the house and put the camera down,tons of fish swimming all over,threw everything down there plus the kitchen sink and they wouldn't bite anymore.i was the only person fishing so it wasn't like a ton of people were feeding them bait.They have a time when its time to feed and then its over. nothinf worse than having them come up and look and swim away.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline Waynesburgjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:24 AM »
When it gets slow sometimes I'll use a small teardrop jig tipped with a few maggots just off the bottom with a small bobber.

Offline Camogurl20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:01 AM »
I usually use a yellow bro bug with 3 grubs on it. Or i use a white and yellow hali with grubs.
  Ice Fish Baby!! :)

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:20 AM »
1st, lets assume you have an utltralight rod with 2-4 pound test line, or a rod equipped with a spring bobber.  Next, your'e right, sometimes the bite shuts down.  Tie on (1) Marmooska jig with some spikes.  Drop the lure down to the bottom (assuming you have no flasher) and shake your Pole like a composer and lift at the same time very slowly (1 minute to lift a foot).  People will think you're getting electrocuted.  As you shake and lift, your line will wobble all over the place.  You may even have to lift to the 2 or 3 foot mark, sometimes even six to get the fish.   If you look carefully, you'll see your line stop- that's when it's time to lift the tip and it's fish on.  Repeat.  This may sound crazy, but it will put fish on the ice when nobody else is catching them.  Last night I only fished for about 45 minutes before dark with my 4 yo son and even invited a guy to come over and fish with us.  We caught 15-20 in those 45 minutes and he caught nothing.  I tried to tell him what I was doing, and it could be clearly seen, I guess some guys just won't listen or are too prideful.  I realize many people have different techniques, but this is just what works for me and my friends.  Let us know how you make out. 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:29 PM »
1st, lets assume you have an utltralight rod with 2-4 pound test line, or a rod equipped with a spring bobber.  Next, your'e right, sometimes the bite shuts down.  Tie on (1) Marmooska jig with some spikes.  Drop the lure down to the bottom (assuming you have no flasher) and shake your Pole like a composer and lift at the same time very slowly (1 minute to lift a foot).  People will think you're getting electrocuted.  As you shake and lift, your line will wobble all over the place.  You may even have to lift to the 2 or 3 foot mark, sometimes even six to get the fish.   If you look carefully, you'll see your line stop- that's when it's time to lift the tip and it's fish on.  Repeat.  This may sound crazy, but it will put fish on the ice when nobody else is catching them.  Last night I only fished for about 45 minutes before dark with my 4 yo son and even invited a guy to come over and fish with us.  We caught 15-20 in those 45 minutes and he caught nothing.  I tried to tell him what I was doing, and it could be clearly seen, I guess some guys just won't listen or are too prideful.  I realize many people have different techniques, but this is just what works for me and my friends.  Let us know how you make out. 

I am going to have to try this.

I was out this sunday and the fish would follow the jig and hang around for a minute some times longer.  they would follow it up and down but would not take it, OR they were biting it so light I could not see it nor feel it on my light rod. 
Don

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:13 AM »
IF YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE THEN TRY THE PIMPLE WITH A PERCH EYE ON IT SOMETIMES WILL TRIGGER THE BIGGER ONES

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.