Author Topic: Fish Lake Questions  (Read 1384 times)

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish Lake Questions
« on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:51 PM »
Myself and a few other guys are heading to FL on the 23rd thru the 26th. We're planning on doing our part to eradicate as many perch as possible.! I'm looking for access points? Which end produces the best north or south? How's the lodging? And last what is the Swiss cheese hole? Thanks for any and all info! I will post a report when we get back thanks.

Offline carsonc1974

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fish Lake Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:17 AM »
I have many of the same questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:58 PM »
Bump!

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I have fished Fish Lake on the ice several times so I might be able to help some what. I like to go in at the boat ramp at the South West end. If you head out North West about 100 yards you will come to the edge of the weeds. If you are looking for Perch this is where you will find them. If looking for Trout you will need to go out further to keep the Perch off. Also for Trout I found the West Bank to produce the bigger ones ( less pressure ). If going for the Mack's go deep. Hope that helps , let us know how the ice is. Good luck!

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:05 PM »
I could probably help with questions about Fish Lake. The cheese holes. There is actually 2 cheese holes. The south one is right down in where the lake is about 1.000 feet across. It will be almost straight east of the bathrooms that are at doctor creek. The moss is in a u shape at this location. The moss is about 25 feet deep and there is a flat that is probably about 200 feet in circumference around. If I remember right it is about 32 feet deep this flat. Then it drops off deep from there. That is better known as the south cheese hole. The north cheese hole is almost to the bottle neck at Pelican point. The moss quits growing at about 25 feet at this location. The closer you get to the moss the more perch you can catch. At Lake side boat ramp which is the south end it is moss all the way out to about 200 feet from the boat ramp. So if you are going down for the perch derby and you are wanting to catch as many perch as possible I would go about 300 feet north of the Lake side store and there is a rock cropping into an L shape on the lake and for some reason around that rock cropping 50 feet either way the moss doesn't grow really thick its about a foot off the bottom and its about 11 feet deep if you find this place. This place is about 30 yards by 30 yards. If you fish it the perch just keep coming in it's a hot hole for Perch. Sometimes splake on perch meat. The key I found to catching a lot of Perch is to fillet the perch you catch and use for bait cut it in 1/4" width and 1" long. That represents a yearling perch which is an inch long. Put a cast master on and 12 inches of line with a size 14 treble hook Run one of the treble's through the skin of the perch. And when you jig it, it looks like a one inch perch chasing the cast master. It's a killer set up. In other words I created it for my kids. If you are going to the perch derby give us a report back how it went and how many pounds won. good luck and have fun.

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:34 PM »
Thank you kindly happyheber for the info! That's enough to get started. I will post the results of the tourney once it's over! Maybe even post sum pix if I can figure it out with my phone.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:41 PM »
ssound good good luck to ya im going to Idaho to fish in a perch derby at cascade  :P

Offline MXJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:49 AM »
Thanks for the pointers.  Hopefully we can all tear the perch up this weekend.

Offline carsonc1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:33 AM »
Any winter camping available. Might bring the camper down there, but haven't been there before.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:49 PM »
you can camp at lake no hook ups

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:54 AM »
The winning team had over a 108 lbs. We got frustrated by 11 after punching a doz sets of holes looking for #s we never found the sweet spot so we ended up going out to 100 fow and playing with the Lakers until dark - no toads but we iced 5 and 2 were over 15lbs.. It was nice to explore the lake I will be back but I will not be chasing the dink perch! Thanks for the advice from you members!

Offline MXJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:04 AM »
We had a great time and thought everything about the tournament was very pleasant. 1700+ people entered the tournament. The fishing started at 8 A.M. and was fast and furious for both perch and trout.  There were times when I struggled to get my lure to the perch because the trout would snatch it on the way down.  At 8:30 A.M. it slowed down for about an hour and we moved around a little bit.  We found them at 9:30 and fished until just before noon with great success.  My wife got the third prize for first females with 75 perch!  I have to say i'm pretty proud even though she outfished me.  I ended up filleting just over 200 perch with an average size of 8 inches and the biggest at 9.5 inch.  It was our first time to fish lake and we had a blast.  I can't wait to go back.

Offline prairiedg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:21 PM »
I have fished FL several times and always get 50 yellow perch within a couple of hours, along with stray trout.  If you go about two thirds the way north along the west side of the lake, there is a pullout next to the ice on the right hand side of the road.  There is a weed line in about 15 feet of water that is prime fishing.  Normally you will be able to see this location because there will be people fishing there or a line of holes from those recently fishing. Drop you line down a hole and check depth.  You are looking for about 15 feet of depth.  If you go just a few feet either direction the depth will change.  If your hole is too deep, move closer to shore or vice versa until you find the sweet line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.