Author Topic: Minor tipup mod  (Read 3506 times)

Offline hrlyridr77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Minor tipup mod
« on: Oct 18, 2010, 09:56 AM »
I got tired of the hooks from my tipups getting tangled while in the bucket. I glued a piece of cork onto the main arm. Seems to improve things so far - we'll see how it works this winter.

Anybody else tried anything to hold the hooks on their tipups?
 :tipup:
Sometimes it's not about the fish, but about the fishin'

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Minor tipup mod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:00 AM »
The velcro-style wraps that come on some kinds of lettuce work awesome. Put the hook through it so the point is away from the spool, then wrap it around the spool. No possibility of the line unwinding, even.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Both good ideas. Better than my hooking it onto the arm eyelet. I usually carry mine in a bag though so its usually not a problem unless the hook gets caught on the material. Gonna probably try one of these this year for a little extra insurance.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:22 AM »
The velcro-style wraps that come on some kinds of lettuce work awesome. Put the hook through it so the point is away from the spool, then wrap it around the spool. No possibility of the line unwinding, even.

x2

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:39 AM »
 I like those yellow tip up clips that go around the spool to hold the line on.
I add a duo lock snap on the end of my line. I make my own quickstrike rigs for pike . I attach a swivel to the end of the quickstrike and then can quickly attach the duolock to that. When I get a fish I take the quickstrike with fish attached off and add a new one that is already baited. I then unhook the fish between flags. Sometime pike are hooked deep and this allows me to take my time with the pliers and keeps my line in the water longer.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2010, 11:35 AM »
I got tired of my line always getting tanlged, or nicked and beat up from sliding around in the bucket. So what I do now, is keep all of my leader's on a lindy rig spinner harness keeper. Then on the tip ups I just tie a snap swivel to the main line, instead of a regular swivel. Then after I'm done fishing for the day, I just undo the snap swivel, and put the leader back on the spinner keeper.

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:29 PM »
I use a rubber band. I just twist it around the hook and then wrap in on the spool. It seems to work well for me. Its also cheap.  ;D

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:45 PM »
I tie a rubberband into an uneven figure eight.  The small loop goes on the hook, and the rest gets stretched and looped around the reel.  Easy and cheap.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:57 PM »
I superglue the foam inserts from the Swedish Pimples I buy to the base of the tipup to hold the hooks, it usually lasts a season or two. A good reason to buy more Pimples in my opinion.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2010, 04:10 PM »
I use the Frabill Pro-Thermal tip-ups, they have a cork end on them meant for sticking the hooks into. Their design makes them fit into a 5 gallon bucket perfectly, you can fit about 6 of them in a bucket.

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Here's what I use....

$3.29 at Staples, Pack of five.

Offline boblee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:58 PM »
I have all artic tip ups, so they have wooden bases.  I drilled a small hole in the back of the board(behind the flag)  i put a barb of the hook into that hole and wind the tip-up up tight.  that also helps kep my mono and florocarbon leaders from curling.

Offline S.M.05

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 6 days of work, 1 day of trout.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Here's what I use....
(Image removed from quote.)

Same thing I use, works great.
If you cant ride it, drink it or bring home it to bed, it aint worth having!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:03 PM »
Here's what I use....
(Image removed from quote.)

It won't work for me,
My tipups are not electric.  ;D

Wiener

Offline Skidda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Thats why they call it fishin, not catchin........
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:08 PM »
I have cork glued to the outside of my reel, the only drawback is you have to make sure they are really hooked well as they can get knocked off while sliding my other traps in my basket! :tipup:

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I got tired of the hooks from my tipups getting tangled while in the bucket. I glued a piece of cork onto the main arm. Seems to improve things so far - we'll see how it works this winter.

I did the same thing with some of mine several seasons ago. Works well.

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2010, 07:30 PM »
this doesn't work all the time but what i do is i push my hook into the line on my spool backwards, in other words i put it in shank first. just put some pressure on it with a finger and wiggle it back and forth a little. they pop out once in a while but it works ok for the most part

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2010, 09:19 AM »
I put a couple wraps of electrical rubber splicing tape. It works great. Not to be cofused with electrical tape.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2010, 07:52 PM »
I've used the velcro straps the last few years and am not looking back at old rotten rubber bands, "borrowing" my daughters hair bungies or other methods I've tried. I've found them cheaper at Wallmart. I allways keep a few extra on the auger handle for just in case.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2010, 09:59 PM »
If you have the plastic HT tipups just drill a small hole in the small bracing piece near the top. I just stick the hook in there and tighten up the plastic thumbscrew on the reel and it holds everything tight till I need it.

Some of the HT's didn't have this thumbscrew but I took the reel off and bought a screw long enough to go thru and also a couple of plastic thumbscrews and rigged them all this way.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Screw a smaller extension spring to the base of the tip up by the flag. You can hook into it, and keep tension on your line, so it doesn't come loose when transporting.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:39 PM »
i pock a thumb nail in mine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.