The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Mary Ronan  (Read 1390 times)

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Mary Ronan
« on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:35 AM »
Hey everyone... I wanted to post a little update on Lake Mary Ronan... A lake right next to flathead, just northwest of big arm bay, but out of the reservation so you don't have to buy the permit. It has about 3-4 inches of ice on it and I have fished it twice in the last 4 days. Fishing is OK... I think if you give it a little while longer it will be better. I went the first time and caught probably 120 perch 67 of which were keepable. I also caught two trout one about 18 inches the other about 12. The second time I went with my wife and we didn't do nearly that well. Between the two of us we probably only caught 50 perch only 25 were keepers and two trout and 1 bass. There were several other people out on the lake but we were outfishing everyone so that goes to tell you that there isn't a ton of fish yet. (Explaining my definition of a keeper: We released everything under 6 inches. We caught one that went 13" and 3 that went 12" about 10 that went 10" but most of the fish that we kept were an average of 8" so nothing to brag about. The bass however my wife caught and it was about 3 and a half pounds! She had a blast reeling it in. Let him go so he is out there for someone else to catch :)) Anyway, I hope you guys are having a great season thus far. I will be fishing again this weekend but until then probably won't see the ice... Any other updates I would appreciate as well... Have a wonderful day!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake Mary Ronan
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:12 AM »
Thanks for the report.  Im planning on going over there after the first of the year.   How big are the perch running? 

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:23 AM »
I caught most perch on average about 8 inches, however, there were a few 10" and a couple 12-13... I also caught LOTS of little ones as well though 3-5"... Seems like they are biting more in the afternoon though. The morning was all the 8"-11" mostly... Good luck

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2007, 06:26 AM »
Sounds real good, I'd better head up there and check it out.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2007, 11:28 AM »
A little more of an update... The fish seem to have slowed down a little since I fished it and caught a whole bunch, but still catching fish. I went out yesterday with my wife and we caught about 80 perch only 25-30 were keepers though. She caught a 24" Trout which she was very happy with. Nice thick fish! Anyway, thought I would give you a little update. The weather kind of messed the lake up in parts but it still has solid ice. I would say it had 4 inches of good ice on it with another 1-2" of rotten ice. Which kind of suck for drilling holes as you get the the first bit and if you aren't turning really fast your auger will get hung up.... I just bought a vexilar fl-20 though and WOW!! Who has one of these? AMAZING!!! I found the fish and caught 30 perch so fast it was crazy! Sadly we didn't get up there till the bite was starting to die down but hey we had fun and that is all that matters. Have a wonderful day and a merry christmas!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2007, 09:44 AM »
I appreciate the reports.  Is there a place to stay nearby for the out of staters.  I know there is a place or two on the lake, but are they open this time of the year?   

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2007, 12:41 PM »
Yes they are open all year long... If I were you I would stay at the Lake Mary Ronan Resort which is pretty close to some really good fishing holes ;) Anyway, they have an out of season rate which is going to be about 75-100 dollars a night and they have whole week rates as well... I have never stayed there personally but I have seen the cabins and they are really nice... Should be able to sleep a whole family in there without a problem. If you want a regular motel you can drive 30 minutes down the road to Polson and stay at a Best Western or Super 8... That is totally up to you. Have a great trip... Where you from originially? And if you are fishing Lake Mary go out in front of the state park and fish at about 14.2' of water I searched all over and the vexilar picked up the most fish at that depth. Have a good day. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:57 AM »
Thanks for the info Mike....  Im planning on going over there soon after the first of the year.  Im assuming the Montana Lic.  years starts in Jan.   

Offline rrfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:46 AM »
New fishing licenses for MT start March 1st.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.