The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Itching for Pike  (Read 1966 times)

Offline PerchFan

• IceShanty Rookie
Itching for Pike
« on: Dec 18, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Anyone know anywhere where thier is Northerns near Helena

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Itching for Pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:55 PM »
I know there are some in Canyon Ferry but not enough of them to target specifically.  I would try by Toston dam.

WT

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:35 PM »
Hey Walltrout,  Off topic here for a few secs.  but i was just looking at your chicken pic. here.  Reminds me of when you were a little kid about the size of the one in your video.  I had that white rooster that used to chase you around just like that.  Remember??

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:32 AM »
Hey Walltrout,  Off topic here for a few secs.  but i was just looking at your chicken pic. here.  Reminds me of when you were a little kid about the size of the one in your video.  I had that white rooster that used to chase you around just like that.  Remember??

I remember shooting the son of a b**** with the .22.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Hey I am not really aware of any spots right near Helena other than Canyon Ferry but I will check and see if I can find out some more news for you. I hear they are catching quite a few however out of Salmon lake near Seeley... I am not sure how far you are willing to Travel but I thought that I would throw that out there... Have a good one...

Offline rrfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2007, 04:17 PM »
You can also target pike over towards Clearwater Junction at/on a lake called Lake Upsata(near Ovando) and there are also Bass and Perch in there.......

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 07:02 PM »
Hey rrfish, I have fished lake upsata this year I am not sure you have or not but I wasn't seeing anyone pulling out any pike. You are right about the perch they are in there but average size is 5" if you live over there and are starving for perch go for it but they are not really big this year... Also the bass are fairly hard to catch as well... Nonetheless still a good option to fish if you want to take your kids and fish for a mess of small perch. Best spot there is at about 12 feet right off the point closest to the boat ramp. Good luck!

Offline rrfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2007, 10:56 AM »
I caught a couple pike there this summer on my fly rod...nothing huge but 3-4 lbs and it was a lot of fun.

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Yeah that is good to know... I hear people catching them every once in a while but the people that were fishing on the ice for them while I was there didn't catch any... Doesn't mean they weren't doing it right either though...

Offline Jaimej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2007, 11:10 AM »
I've never had much luck at Upsata -

I fished there last Suday - (for Pike)

All day, not even 1 bite -

Caught about 8 perch - largest was about 6 inches long..

:(

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2007, 12:44 PM »
Hey,

If you want to catch some perch go fish lake mary ronan or Salmon... Even placid. I fished Upsata and caught probably 60 perch right when the ice froze but like you said the biggest was maybe 8 but most around 4-5... No pikes as well...Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.