The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Help on Frances  (Read 1118 times)

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help on Frances
« on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:14 AM »
Heard a good but vague report on Frances from a Scheels sales guy today. I'm gonna try it this weekend but I don't know it too well.  Anybody have any tips to help me find the eyes and maybe perch?  I've done the north and very south ends for pike, but I want to do some jigging.  I'm thinking somewhere near the island. Wish there were HotSpots Lake maps available for Montana waters. If it weren't so far, I'd just put my time in to learn the water. Hoping for some general areas so I can make the most of my short time there. So, any intel would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Dave aka Copperjohn
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Help on Frances
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:51 AM »
CopperJohn - try this link        http://hometown.aol.com/cdrjlrpdr/page8maps.html

There's a map of Lake Frances in there.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2007, 02:26 AM »
Muchos Gracias, Coldfinger, these are the best maps of Montana waters I've seen yet.  Gives me a starting point.  Hopefully I'll have a good report to share Sunday night.
Thanks again bud.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 11:01 PM »
Frances had nearly a foot of solid ice today though the lake level is very low with gravel bars exposed for about 100 yards west of the 'island.  Wind was brutal, as often is off the Front, and kept me from finding the eyes and large perch.  Tried to put up my old clam but there was no way even after screwing down to the ice.  Guys were nailing the 5 # pike though in 8-12 ft waters.  Swung over to Tiber on the way home to check it out. This water also very low with two guys fishing edge of Bootlegger Bay, frozen clear across.  Open water still at the dam.

Maybe next time the Wind gods will smile on me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.