The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Getting back on the ice  (Read 831 times)

Offline Chris_the_wrench

• IceShanty Rookie
Getting back on the ice
« on: Oct 18, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Howdy all,

I relocated to Whitefish this past May and have been on a hectic crash course of learning the good fishing, riding and hiking spots of this grand area. It’s overwhelming!

I’ve open water fished a wide variety of the ponds/lakes/streams around Whitefish-> Glacier this summer and I have had a blast. I’ve really been enjoying the post labor day calm, how hypocritical of me!

Anyways skiing/snowshoeing are my main winter focuses but I used to icefish alot 25+ years ago and Im really looking forward to getting back on the ice quite abit this winter.

I’ve been thinking about Beaver lake or blanchard lake here by whitefish would be decent. Also, we’ve done pretty well on the lakers up at lake mcdonald in the park. Thats really handy for out of state visitors since no license is required.

So, am I accurate in thinking those lakes would continue to provide some good fishing this winter? I also live really close to whitefish lake, so whenever that freezes up safely I’ll be trying there too.

Whats the chances of finding safe ice before the end of December?

Thanks
-Chris

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Getting back on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2019, 01:04 PM »
Those would be good starting place. Plus flathead is a great fishery in the winter also. You should be able to find some ice by the end of November in that area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.