Author Topic: Best rod reel and spring bobber combo??  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best rod reel and spring bobber combo??
« on: Jan 13, 2008, 01:43 AM »
Wanting to here what you all thinks is the best combo with the most sensitive spring bobber. Have usually fished 8 ft or less for gills and the trusty old schooly combo has worked fine. Fished 14 ft last time out for crappies and i found out i need a quality spinning rod combo with a good spring bobber. Lets hear what you think. Lost a lot of fish last weekend trying to get my $420 marcum ducer out of hole and trying to pull a 10 inch gill out with my $10 pole. Time for an upgrade. Thanks

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best rod reel and spring bobber combo??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:51 AM »
Here's my favorite spring bobber by Frabill. http://www.frabill.com/cgi-bin/frabill/1681?store=ice

Offline icefisherjaydogg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:37 AM »
As far as rod and reel combo I love my cajun ice combo but if i wanna go really sensitive I use my Berkley hot Ice combo. Really super sensitive. Both are a great buy for the money.

Offline jackhollio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:41 AM »
The St Croix rod has the best setup on it.
It's pricey at $50 but worth the extra cost.
If you are handy ( cheap ) you can get just the spring bobber and attach it on an existing rod.
Watch the reels, some do not have low temp grease in them and they get "slow" in cold weather. 8)

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:42 AM »
I no longer mess with spring bobbers for panfish, if ya purchase a decent UL ice rod rated for 2# line, most have tips light enough to indicate a strike but feel is what ya depend on most of the time. Or ya can buy one of the noodle rods, some have red/orange tips, ya won't need a spring bobber. I use both setups depending on my mood. I prefer rods in the 28" range for panfish but are too long to fish effectively inside the Trap, I use rods in the 21" - 24" range when I flip the lid, and I use a short 16" UL rod for sight fishing (easier on the back). All rods are rigged with a small UL spinning reel.

If I was to buy a spring bobber rod it would be one of the St. Croix setups.

Put a small UL spinning reel, one rated for 2# - 4# line, on the above just make sure it has a smooth drag. Get in the habit of closing the bail with your off hand instead of by cranking the handle this will help reduce line twist.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:11 AM »
How do you keep the tips on the small spring bobbers from freezing up?  ???

I had to switch to the elcheapo walmart spring steel ones. $1.32 they have a bigger end and slide down the eyelets flush to the end of the pole.

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2008, 12:09 PM »
Just blow on the spring eye and your breath will melt any ice build up.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline bridgedoctor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Hey twintrades, spray silicone on the rod tip and on the bobber if you use one in the water while they're dry.  Works like a charm.

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2008, 02:02 PM »
Wanting to here what you all thinks is the best combo with the most sensitive spring bobber. Have usually fished 8 ft or less for gills and the trusty old schooly combo has worked fine. Fished 14 ft last time out for crappies and i found out i need a quality spinning rod combo with a good spring bobber. Lets hear what you think. Lost a lot of fish last weekend trying to get my $420 marcum ducer out of hole and trying to pull a 10 inch gill out with my $10 pole. Time for an upgrade. Thanks
boy do i love them schoolys that's all i fish with . i have even pulled a couple pike up on them with 2# what a fight

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2008, 02:19 PM »
For my money the St Criox combo is the best it is about 50.00 but the spring never freezes

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2008, 05:43 PM »
The St. Croix Legend with the spring already built in the rod (I have each of the models they offer) is the best I have used. I fish a lot of tournaments and have experimented with a number of combos and am very pleased with the rod. The adjustable sensitivity and durability of the rod is wonderful. I also use the St. Croix reel that matches the rod - smooth and sturdy.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2008, 05:56 PM »
there is a variety of good spring bobbers on the market....I use both a frabil panfish popper and the st croix legend

The popper works well but the small metal coil easily freezes if you are fishing outside and you will have to hand bomb your line down....

The Legend works well, but I feel it is over priced yet I have purchased two

a great rod for the outdoor fisherman is the new genz dead stick, it is long and super sensative, no spring bobber but great for gill fishing

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:16 PM »
Lost a lot of fish last weekend trying to get my $420 marcum ducer out of hole and trying to pull a 10 inch gill out with my $10 pole.

What exactly does the rod have to do with losing fish on the ice ducer?  Try drilling a double hole or a second hole nearby for your Marcum and have the ducer just below the bottom of the ice and you won't have any fish tangles anymore.  Just remember to mark double holes before you leave, I learned that the hard way this year  :whistle: :-\

Don

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:39 PM »
What exactly does the rod have to do with losing fish on the ice ducer?  Try drilling a double hole or a second hole nearby for your Marcum and have the ducer just below the bottom of the ice and you won't have any fish tangles anymore.  Just remember to mark double holes before you leave, I learned that the hard way this year  :whistle: :-\

Don
Was hole hopping other peoples holes that were already drilled. A ducer and a 5 inch hole makes for a lot of tangles. Just figured a nice limber rod with a spinning reel with good drag would be nice to have in hand while taking the ducer out. Schoolys are good for detecting bites but for finessing fish you might as well have a curtain rod with line on it. :)

Offline c2223

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:11 PM »
Why are you guys still using spring bobbers, they went out with white socks and you know what, go a 20in graphite and feel everything thru the cork, no bobbers no mess!

Offline bondo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:06 PM »
I also use the schoolys with no spring. I used the springs for years but got sick of dealing with the ice buildup all the time. I can't really figure out why people pay $50 for a St Croix rod with a spring at the end. You can put a spring at the end of any rod and get the same results (if you are watching for strikes) Am I missing something?
Ron

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:05 PM »
the st. croix legend rod is the best on the market but i don't recomend the ultra light rod. thats the first one i bought and i have since switched to a light action or medium action  legend rod and just switch out to the lighter spring for smaller jigs. i lost alot of fish on the ultra light rod but going to a heavier rod solved the problem instantly. and i've got a pflueger president micro reel on the rod. it's a great combo but a little pricy.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Hey Brandon go to : www.thornebros.com and check out their ice fishing rods. They can custom  make anything you want. They are a bit salty but the best pole I own. They are all made of  solid graphite. SWEET RODS. And the best in spring bobbers.

Offline dk_kon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Why are you guys still using spring bobbers, they went out with white socks and you know what, go a 20in graphite and feel everything thru the cork, no bobbers no mess!

I was at an ice fishing seminar hosted by a very experienced and successful ice fisherman and one of the attendees asked that very question.  His response :  "Because it is one of the best ice fishing innovations to come around in my 20 years on the ice"  . I'm sure that you can detect 90% of the bites on a rod not outfitted with a spring bobber, but who wouldn't love to catch 10% more fish.  Not to mention the fact that he asked which setup with a bobber to get, not wether he should get one or not. And i love white socks. ;)

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:22 PM »
I have at least 20 jigging rods from micro noodles to ultra lights 4 medium lights 2 mediums, and 8 home made either graphite or fiberglass,as light and sensitive as those rods are you can still not detect SOME hits,with good spring YOU MISS NOTHING.

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2008, 02:16 AM »
Hey Brandon go to : www.thornebros.com and check out their ice fishing rods. They can custom  make anything you want. They are a bit salty but the best pole I own. They are all made of  solid graphite. SWEET RODS. And the best in spring bobbers.
Will do :) You gonna make it out this weekend?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.