Author Topic: Tackle organization ideas anyone???  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tackle organization ideas anyone???
« on: Dec 08, 2007, 04:41 PM »
 Just wondering if anyone had some good ideas for storing all your tacle (jigs,floats,sinkers,etc). Have a small Plano that works fine, but im sure there are some good ideas out there? Also, just ordered a new Marcum 500. Spent two weeks researching and was about ready to pull my hair out trying to decide Vex or Marcum. Oh well, im sure they are both good machines. Thanks for any ideas on a tackle box.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tackle organization ideas anyone???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2007, 04:43 PM »
I use fly boxes for my smaller jigs, so they don't rattle all over the place when pulling behind the wheeler or sled. 

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:51 PM »
I just use the small planos. Then I just load up the compartments with jigs by color. I have several different jig types and patterns in each individual slot. I try not to get too organized since my goal is to spend more time fishing and less time doing things that resemble what I need to do at work.
                                                  :tipup:

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Greenglo_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He who has the most toys wins!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:58 PM »
Small plano boxes sorted by type, such as Halis, demons, Rapala/nils, pimples etc. I carry them in a waterfroof bag. However, I setup 1 box with variety baits to suit the lake/ponds which I am concentrating on at the time.
He who has the most toys wins!!!!!

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2007, 08:47 PM »
I have a pistol hard case, you can put jigs in the foam on both sides and when you open it up all of your jigs are there to look at.  My weights though go into a small plano type box that is double sided.  Weights on one side,  bobbers hooks etc.  on the other.
<br />

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:01 AM »
I must re-organize my tackle every season, larger boxes, smaller boxes...foam, no foam.....I try to kepp them by species so If im not on a walleye lake Im not carrying all my walleye gear....

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:32 AM »
Well I guess since I only target panfish I get away  with the one tackle box of lures.  I have been thinking of trying to target the eyes around here though so I might have to start another box. lol
<br />

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:05 PM »
I have 2 of the clear plastic plano storage containers.....I then epoxy'd the bottoms together to have a front and back sustem. I bough the kind that have the good latching system just to be sure when it is upside down.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:11 PM »
I have a smaller sized soft tackle box with three clear platic plano boxes in it. They all fit in there nice, and I can organize them as I like. One box has all my perch and sunfish jigs, one has my laker/walleye jigs, and one has all my hardware. I manage to fit a whole bunch of other neccesities in there too. That goes in the front of my jet sled. Behind that is a cooler with all my bait, and another one with my food and such. In the very back, I have my special tipup and jigging rod holder, and I run my auger along the side of it.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2007, 04:16 PM »
I use contact cases for little swivels,snaps hooks,etc.
 I write on the bottom what is in them.
 Too many times I have dumped over my Plano boxes and made a mess of the little things kept in them. These contact cases keep things tidy.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2007, 05:30 PM »
In my tackle box I bought some of that flat magnetic sheeting stuff like Fridge magnet crap, Cut it to size for all my trays in the box so all my hooks and what not do not end up all over the place. I have 2 small plano pocket sized boxes that fit in my main box, with the adjustable dividers for my pimples and rapalas, and the 2, 8 dollar darters I can't catch anything on. :-[
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2007, 05:40 PM »
This season i purchased Bug Luggage by Little Atom lure company (Awesome ) it has individual slots for each lure .I bought a small luggage & a large one , i will be buying more ,These keep the baits from banging into each other & chipping the paint .They are reasonably priced also.Tight Lines !!!!!! :tipup:

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2007, 06:51 PM »
Small panfish type jigs go in the foam lined fly boxes. Have one for vertical jigs and one for horizontal jigs.

Larger spoons/jigs go in plano boxes with compartments. Have one with perch sized jigs/lures and another with walleye sized jigs/lures.

These fly/lure/jig boxes are usually stored in the side pockets of my rod cases with the corresponding rods.

That way if I'm going to target panfish I don't have to carry my walleye gear etc.

Once in action the stuff usually comes outta the rod cases and into storage in my Trap or a bucket.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2007, 06:58 PM »
Fly box with foam inserts for jigs and small plano boxes for jigging spoons

I keep they loose in bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, but I'm thinking a soft side cooler or lunch box would make for easier travel.

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:02 PM »
In my tackle box I bought some of that flat magnetic sheeting stuff like Fridge magnet crap, Cut it to size for all my trays in the box so all my hooks and what not do not end up all over the place. I have 2 small plano pocket sized boxes that fit in my main box, with the adjustable dividers for my pimples and rapalas, and the 2, 8 dollar darters I can't catch anything on. :-[
Wow, magnets on the bottom of the box, why didn't I think of that!!!! I've dropped my box twice and had to pick up all my panfish jigs.  What a pain in the a$$.  Thanks for the idea, I will be going to pick some up tomorrow.
PURDUEBASS
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:19 PM »
I also use the somewhat clear white film containters to keep my sinkers in and a fly box for my jigs
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2007, 07:46 AM »
I carry all my boxes in an Artic Creel bag. The type peeps use for trout fishing. In it a have several small Plano boxes and fly boxes that hold all of my lures. It also provides room for other tackel as well. I use a small duffle bag to hold my tip-ups in. Either way, anytime I want to scout a little or place tip-ups, all I have to do is grab a bag  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2007, 12:56 PM »

I use a Static Primer case that I lined with the closed cell foam camping mats that are about $6 at Walmart.  Used a hotmelt gun to secure the foam and cut to fit.  The foam is somewhat self healing and doesnt tear up when the hook is pulled out of it.  I carry about 400 jigs with me when fishing.  I know, its an addiction, I'm sorry.  I also have a couple small plano boxes for my micro plastics, terminal tackle, and spoons.  This case I have pictured is about 10" by 18" and about 1 1/2" thick.  I have about ten of these cases laying around in various sizes and thicknesses I have made, but prefer this one size wise.  It fits in a bucket, in my Ready Rig, etc.  I have built about another dozen for friends who love them.  They are water proof and keeps the jigs from rusting.  I can drive over one with my truck and not ruin it.  You can toss it into your shack from 20 feet away and not knock the jigs loose or break the case. 

I used to use the smaller boxes for jigs, but I hated the fact that when you try to pull one out of a small bin, the divider would slide up and mix two bins together.  Also, they should make those small boxes with a ramped edge on the outside wall of the box so when you place you finger on a jig, you can slide it out instead of having to lift it out.  The small fly boxes work, but I always end up pulling about four of them out of my pockets before I find the one I am looking for.  This box wont fit in my pocket and I know that is the major reason why most wouldnt use it.  But for those looking for organization and convenience of use, and have a better way to spend ten minutes on the ice than trying to grab the right jig out of a square inch compartment with 20 jigs in it, this is the cat's meow.

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:12 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I use a Static Primer case that I lined with the closed cell foam camping mats that are about $6 at Walmart.  Used a hotmelt gun to secure the foam and cut to fit.  The foam is somewhat self healing and doesnt tear up when the hook is pulled out of it.  I carry about 400 jigs with me when fishing.  I know, its an addiction, I'm sorry.  I also have a couple small plano boxes for my micro plastics, terminal tackle, and spoons.  This case I have pictured is about 10" by 18" and about 1 1/2" thick.  I have about ten of these cases laying around in various sizes and thicknesses I have made, but prefer this one size wise.  It fits in a bucket, in my Ready Rig, etc.  I have built about another dozen for friends who love them.  They are water proof and keeps the jigs from rusting.  I can drive over one with my truck and not ruin it.  You can toss it into your shack from 20 feet away and not knock the jigs loose or break the case. 

I used to use the smaller boxes for jigs, but I hated the fact that when you try to pull one out of a small bin, the divider would slide up and mix two bins together.  Also, they should make those small boxes with a ramped edge on the outside wall of the box so when you place you finger on a jig, you can slide it out instead of having to lift it out.  The small fly boxes work, but I always end up pulling about four of them out of my pockets before I find the one I am looking for.  This box wont fit in my pocket and I know that is the major reason why most wouldnt use it.  But for those looking for organization and convenience of use, and have a better way to spend ten minutes on the ice than trying to grab the right jig out of a square inch compartment with 20 jigs in it, this is the cat's meow.
thats very good. I just wish I was as organized as you

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2007, 04:20 PM »
That is like what I do with the hardcase that I have.  I didnt think to change the liner in it though.  May have to look into it. Seems to look like it works pretty well if it is self healing. 
<br />

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:38 PM »
Now the question is ,what is a Static Primer Box ?
Where do you buy them?

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2007, 10:05 PM »
If you have a larger military surplus store around, you might get lucky and find different sizes of them there.  I found them for $1 once at a surplus store.  Most military rockets use a static primer...rather than the primer on a rifle shell where a pin hammers it to ignite...a static primer is ignited by electricity.  A rocket is slid into a tube on a gun ship like an Apache, and a small spark plug looking device is in each one....it sparks when the trigger mechanism is deployed and the small spark sends the rocket on its way.  However, you could rub your foot on some shag carpet and touch one of those primers with your finger and set it off too...therefor they transport them in these plastic cases filled with closed cell foam and that keeps them static free.  The cases are also the perfect jig box in my mind.  I have seen most wholesale plastic case manufacturers stock a line of static cases, I guess they are good for protecting computer hard drives and different electronics.  I think you can order them from these wholesalers for about 8 to 15 bucks each and line them yourselves with the foam if they come unlined.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2007, 11:35 PM »
I use the plano tackle box too. I cut the closed cell foam in each compartment to hold the jigs in place.

I also have the newer plano box with the better latch. I keep them in a soft side cooler I got for opening a new checking account. Never used it for food...but it works great for all my mitts, boot chains, and stuff.

jbird68

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.