Author Topic: Ice Jig sizes and weights - ???  (Read 5069 times)

Offline brownkr111

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Jig sizes and weights - ???
« on: Dec 19, 2018, 10:10 PM »
Hello ice anglers! I'm new to ice fishing and I'm having trouble understanding the different measurements and sizes of various jigs. I was never good at math or numbers, mostly because I was too busy daydreaming about the hot babes in my class. Lol. Some brands use the metric system and others are imperial; some numbers or fractions refer to the weight, some the hook size, and others the jig head length or overall length. Some have just 1 number and the lower the number the bigger the jig, which I realize is typical of hooks. The Lindy Tungsten Ice Worm comes in #6, #8, and #10 and these numbers refer to hook size yet they don't list the weight or length. A Custom Jigs & Spoons Chekai comes in 3, 4, 4.5, and 5mm "sizes" which is rather vague but must refer to overall length? Northland Mud Bugs come in 1/32, 1/64, and 1/72 oz. weights.  So, what is the weight and length of the Lindy's, the weight and hook size of the Customs, and the hook size and length of the Northlands??? It seems like the only way to do this is to buy all 10 plus a tiny scale. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Ice Jig sizes and weights - ???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:11 PM »
That's right...wait till you look at rods.

If you scaled actual lures, they will vary from package listed weight.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2018, 07:29 AM »

I hope this image link thing works.  This is for the Custom Jigs and Spins Chekai Tungsten Ice Jig.

Note that this is for one brand/model, but I figure it's probably close for other similar tungsten models of different brands.  It's a helpful starting point at least.  Just make sure you keep the sizes separate in your box or it will be a pain to figure out later!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:53 AM »
It’s 2018. The internet is your friend here. Try doing some google image/video searches of the products so you can see them without paying for them. A little research goes a long way. For tungsten jigs, sizes in mm refers to the diameter of the jig head (which is mostly a close estimate).

Also, don’t overthink this. Once you get into it some more, weights become more of a reference than a rule. Different situations might call for different weights of the same jig/spoon then your math gets even more out of whack. Presentation also plays a factor in weight/length selection. Tungsten sizes are mostly universal.

For jigs, I use tungsten exclusively (Fiskas). When I buy a certain color, I always get a 3,4, and 5mm in that color. In my opinion, those 3 sizes really should cover most if not all of your needs for panfish. A 4mm jig is a good middle ground between the two. If only buying one size, I’d go with a 4mm.

I’ve just started using spoons last year and I believe I purchased 1/16 and 1/8 sized spoons. I also started using size 3 rippin raps last year. Great bait.

Also, just going to a physical store and window shopping can put things in perspective. Ask an employee for some help. Use your best judgment. Ask them if they ice fish first though. At the end of the day, they are salesmen..
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.