Author Topic: automatic Fly reel  (Read 408 times)

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
automatic Fly reel
« on: Dec 06, 2011, 12:33 PM »
I've been using one of those automatic fly reels for a few outing and i have to say i kind of like it... i have it loaded with braid tied to some backing. It sure gets the line up in a hurry. i havent caught anything big enough to actually fight a fish with it yet though have been hand lining everything in.

Anybody else try them?

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: automatic Fly reel
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:28 PM »
No, but I had inherited one from my Dad many years ago, and when the threads about fly reels for straight lining come up I always think about an automatic fly reel in that application. If the idea is just to take the line up is a hurry, then I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just wonder what 0 degree temps would do. Need to re-lube with one of the ice reel lubes I imagine. You asked a good question, thanks!!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:59 PM »
They work great except if you get a little water in spring it will lock up.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:10 PM »
I have a fly reel collection. Mostly South Bend Reels. I have a few Oreno automatics and have been thinking about trying one on an ice rod this year. Every one I've taken apart to clean has had abundant grease in the spring. Most are 40+ years old so you can imagine what it looks like. Congealed goo for the most part.

A good cleaning and a sparing application of food grade lubricant and I think they'd be good to go. We'll see ;D
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:55 PM »
have you actually fought fish with them? just wondering if there is too much snap there?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:26 PM »
Well, I've fly fished with them. The only advantage is being able to get the line on the spool without having to crank a reel. I still play the fish with the line in hand. But excess line is quickly picked up...sometimes too quickly.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.