Author Topic: Line Marker?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Line Marker?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:14 PM »
 Red Buttons for 20 years. Just  a little bit bigger than the guide on my Polars. I can slide them with ease and they give tension when packing up to wrap the line.  It helps when a perch does a drive by and the button is only 1' - 2' from the tip up. Just look down the hole if the button is in sight something small.
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:38 PM »
small bober for tipup, but the rubber bober stops are cheap and use them for slip bober, was going to try to use them for tipups this year. 
How do you thread the line when you guys use buttons? 2hole or 4 hole buttons?  like that idea want to try that now too. 

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:57 PM »
i use a slip knot and put a bread tie in it, that way if the fish goes in the weeds it will bend and not put resistance by getting caught on the weeds. one of my fishing partners uses a beer can tab. he sticks a loop of line through the tab and puts the rest of the tab through the loop

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:05 PM »
buttons
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:23 PM »
We use the bobber stops too. We don't clip the ends, just leave them long. It's easy enough to slide and if it freezes, just warm it up with your fingers for a few seconds. Plus, you can leave it on the line and just wrap it up in the spool when you're done.

I use and love the bobber stops...until I take the plastic sleeve off the wrong way. ::) . I cut my tag ends by about 2/3.  Another tip, do not cinch the stops really tight.  If you do they are a pain to move, nice and snug is all you need.
I'm cold and I like it

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2010, 01:39 AM »
small bober for tipup, but the rubber bober stops are cheap and use them for slip bober, was going to try to use them for tipups this year. 
How do you thread the line when you guys use buttons? 2hole or 4 hole buttons?  like that idea want to try that now too. 

buttons are easy to use, i use 4 hole and put in one corner hole and out oppisite hole. just make sure buttons are about dime size. been fishing with them for 30 years
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 11, 2010, 02:31 AM »
Used buttons forever. Discovered the little bobbers.......Way better. Pricey? I think i paid under $2.00 for 6 at sportsmans warehouse. 

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:04 AM »
buttons are easy to use, i use 4 hole and put in one corner hole and out oppisite hole. just make sure buttons are about dime size. been fishing with them for 30 years
Sounds about right- depending on the  line you're using and the size of the holes in the buttons.If they slide too easy and don't hold their position just run the line through another hole.

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:12 AM »
I use the buttons. Just dont go too big or youll end up with them catching the line unless you reset them. Last thing you want is to have a good fish on and have the spool get stpped short because of the button getting in the way.
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:47 AM »
i use bobbers. i bought quality ones, and have never lost one, in over 10 years!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Erie Tom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Memories
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:58 AM »
I use a 6mm orange bead as the preset depth marker.  Hole in the bead  is big enough to pass line through and then through again to stop it from slipping. Distance from reel to cross bar is a foot so if great depth is wanted just add by the foot. Just slip it to the new depth.  Cheaper than bobbers

Offline fishinaround

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:00 AM »
Just thought of this but how about a little rubber O-ring that will have an ID a bit smaller than the diam. of the line. might be a pain if you're in really deep water. Just a thought.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:01 AM »
Bobber stops,small bobbers mostly,but for 40 years I used a wide rubber band cut to 1/2 to 3/4 inch long and with a needle thread through both ends(about and 1/8 on and inch from both ends),your braided line slides through the rubber band and grips the line,about the only time you reset it is sometimes while fighting a large fish the rubber band may slide on the side of the hole but slide back to reset your depth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.