Author Topic: Last Weekends Adventure  (Read 5927 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Last Weekends Adventure
« on: Feb 25, 2008, 09:50 PM »
     Well I finally got out for a few hours after hibernating for 2 months of bitter cold, where temperatures reached -48C and -56C with the wind chill. Saturday was a beautiful warm (-10C) and I planned to hit up Mason Lake for some Lakers and Pike. Well I changed plans in mid stream, about 1/4 of the way to my destination I noticed that the ice road that leads into Great Slave Lakes main basin was in. I decided that instead of bouncing across the very rough trails and lakes I would head on down the road. Now I didn't have my GSL chart with me so I had to wing it. I drove down the road until I saw a fishy looking spot, jumped off the ice road and headed towards a rocky point.

I drilled several holes in a line between the point and an island 1/2 km away. The water depth varied between 70 and 90 feet and was under 3 1/2 feet of clear black ice. Bait wise I had herring and large (3") shiners. By the end of the day I wished I had brought some whitefish tackle as for 3 hours I had fish constantly under every hole I drilled, but not a single taker. I would have liked to have one of them neeto' cameras to see what was milling around my baits. I could have been upset but it was just nice to finally be outside again.

I had plans to head out on Sunday as well but on the way home I got my sled stuck while trying to climb back over the berm onto the ice road. 20 minuites to 1/2 hour later after shoveling out my sled I was back on my way and by the time I got home was completely exhausted. And Sunday I had sore muscles where I didn't even know I had muscles!! :roflmao: I couldn't even move until 6PM. The good thing is we have another 6 to 8 weeks of prime hardwater fishing to go!!

So no fish, but a few nice pics just the same.

Offline Simmy04548

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Last Weekends Adventure
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2008, 09:59 PM »
Stunning pics! Some fish would have made it better, but beautiful none the less.
In the land of the blind. The one  eyed man is KING 

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:31 AM »
So I guess thats why they call you Drifter....going around from place to place looking for a good spot to fish. Not sure about the 016 ;D
Great scenery shots. Looking forward to more.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:51 AM »
The handle has come over from other boards, the Drifter is the make of one of my Centerpins and the 016 is the serial #.
Hopefully my next outing will show some nice fisheys on the ice................and then coated in batter, frying away!!!        

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Looks a bit chilly  :D
Andrew

Offline mcwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2008, 11:19 AM »
great shots man!  and those are COLD temps!  anywhere.

Offline duke1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2008, 11:34 PM »
Very nice pics. say hello to my uncle Wally for me.  ;) owns that novalty store in the mall. Good old Ragged Ass Road. i was up there a couple yrs ago fishing at Lake Awry.. 6 days.. wsih i was still there. 

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2009, 01:22 PM »
i will never complain about the cold or the thickness of the ice again didnt realize how easy we have it down here. awesome pics that is so cool!!!!

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Get some ciscoes and head up the winter road to the second large lake it crosses. Fish about 150 yards off the large island on your left as you're going north.....monster lake trout in there. I lived in YK for 7 years and fished my brains out. Best fishing Ive ever had. The lakers like the ciscoes the best. Natural to the whole area.
You'll find the holes from alot of other guys. Use themas a guide. They for the most part at least, know what they're doing and where to fish up that road. Be careful!! there's some places that have hot spots under the ice and there may be only a couple inches or even less!!! Good Luck and stay safe!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:34 PM »
Get some ciscoes and head up the winter road to the second large lake it crosses. Fish about 150 yards off the large island on your left as you're going north.....monster lake trout in there. I lived in YK for 7 years and fished my brains out. Best fishing Ive ever had. The lakers like the ciscoes the best. Natural to the whole area.
You'll find the holes from alot of other guys. Use themas a guide. They for the most part at least, know what they're doing and where to fish up that road. Be careful!! there's some places that have hot spots under the ice and there may be only a couple inches or even less!!! Good Luck and stay safe!

Thanks for the info.  :)
This is my third winter here (second ice fishing) I have a good collection of ciscoes in the freezer. I think I have 7 or 8 dozen left.  ;)
I have seen a few of the spring areas already (pretty weird to see open water when it's been -40 for 2 months.      ???   I tend to stick to the well used trails as drowning is not high on my list of things to do. Thanks for the lake info, I'll have to get up there before the season ends. There are so many lakes to fish and so little time.  ;D             

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.