Author Topic: Weekend  (Read 14591 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Weekend
« Reply #60 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:28 PM »
What's everyone think about this snow we just got? Lakes around here are between 6-7 inches of ice. Looks like 4-5" of good ice with white ice on top. Now there is about 6" of snow cover. Anyone have any concerns about going out with the new snow cover?
jbird68

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:17 PM »
What's everyone think about this snow we just got? Lakes around here are between 6-7 inches of ice. Looks like 4-5" of good ice with white ice on top. Now there is about 6" of snow cover. Anyone have any concerns about going out with the new snow cover?

with 4-5 inches of good ice, you could drop 12 inches of snow on it and it wouldn't hurt a thing
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:36 AM »
Bang's Lake had 5" - 6" of good ice before yesterdays snow, and we only got approximately 3". I don't think the snow will hurt anything.  It'll just make it harder to pull the Fish Trap.

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 29, 2007, 05:49 PM »
I had 4 inches of clear ice so the couple inches of snow really helped with the bite in the shallow waters.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #64 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:39 PM »
Bruce, Pistakee again in the morning.  7 am or a little before.  I'm meeting one of my buddies there.  Same place.  It turned on out there a little later in the day, had to weed out the tons of dinks.  I hope the sun helps turn the bite on a little early.  If it is dead, maybe we will head up to Channel?  Give me a call in the morning if you want, or e-mail me back.

Offline Bigye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:22 PM »
Has anyone else fished Long Lake?  I went there today and did decent on crappie.  Enough action to keep me interested. I went there a few times last year and had a tough time finding any action.  just curious to see if anyone else has fished there.

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:37 PM »
Hey Hardstiff I mean stuff, ;D

You wanna do a late afternoon allnighter?  I was thinking of Marie for some eyes or delavan for Crappie?  Haven't done some night fishing yet this year. We can set up your instant forest preserve!   ;D  BTW my wife got me a trailer for the holidays it hasn't arrived yet but I'll fill you in.  Give me a call.

Later dood!
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'Fish of the Day'

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 30, 2007, 12:11 AM »
Bruce, Pistakee again in the morning.  7 am or a little before.  I'm meeting one of my buddies there.  Same place.  It turned on out there a little later in the day, had to weed out the tons of dinks.  I hope the sun helps turn the bite on a little early.  If it is dead, maybe we will head up to Channel?  Give me a call in the morning if you want, or e-mail me back.

I passed out around 3:30, shortly after I got back home.  Just now waking up around midnight, still tired, lack of sleep all week is catching up to me.  If I wake up early I just might head that way.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Has anyone else fished Long Lake?  I went there today and did decent on crappie.  Enough action to keep me interested. I went there a few times last year and had a tough time finding any action.  just curious to see if anyone else has fished there.
Where is a good place to park and fish Long Lake.

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 30, 2007, 05:09 PM »
Hey Hardstiff I mean stuff, ;D

You wanna do a late afternoon allnighter?  I was thinking of Marie for some eyes or delavan for Crappie?  Haven't done some night fishing yet this year. We can set up your instant forest preserve!   ;D  BTW my wife got me a trailer for the holidays it hasn't arrived yet but I'll fill you in.  Give me a call.

Later dood!

Anytime Dood ! Hows the ice on Marie, ride or walk ? We shouldn't need to bring structure there  ???

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #70 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:18 PM »
Anyone else have a hard bite this weekend on the Fox Chain?  Lots of sniffers.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 31, 2007, 10:55 PM »
Anyone else have a hard bite this weekend on the Fox Chain?  Lots of sniffers.

why no. PM sent. no i didn't, 30 gills in under a half an hour. Some good BULLS too.

Offline Bigye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:02 AM »
Where is a good place to park and fish Long Lake.

I park at the abondoned bar on Wilson Rd.  I guess its ok, i have parked there for a couple years and never had any problems

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #73 on: Jan 01, 2008, 03:03 PM »
You guys seen the weather for next weekend?  It looks like it may be a wet one!  I hope all the cold the next couple days grows as much ice as possible!  Sat, Sun, & Mon doesn't look like we will be below 32F at all! >:( >:( >:(

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:58 AM »
I park at the abondoned bar on Wilson Rd.  I guess its ok, i have parked there for a couple years and never had any problems
Thanks for the parking info.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 03, 2008, 09:42 AM »
looks like this weekend we will have to get out the hip boot and rain coats ice on boys ;)
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:34 AM »
It looks like the forecast for rain was pushed back to Sunday. At least we might get one day without the rain. Although the high for Saturday is 38 and the Low is 37. Mid 30's for today. I don't htnk it should affect the ice that much. I am still going ot try and get out on Saturday.
jbird68

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #77 on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:19 PM »
I'm going to hit somewhere in the morning.  Bangs more than likely.  John or Bruce, you down???

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #78 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:30 PM »
I'm going to the parkway come heck or high water lol

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:49 PM »
Went out today with tbirdbassr and he caught a 14" gizzard shad.  He said he will post it in the anything catagory.  I just could not believe he caught one.  Though there are bigger ones in the canal atleast over in sheffield.
<br />

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #80 on: Jan 06, 2008, 11:40 AM »
How much water do you guys see on the top of the ice today?  I was out on Bangs yesterday, & did pretty good.  Big Northern kept hanging around a hot hole I had.  I saw him 4 different times in about a 30 minute span.  Told a couple of guys out there to move some tip ups next to where I was set up, & I still kept seeing him.  Never hit, just hung out down there spooking my spot to nothing.  I moved on from that, only to not get anything going quite as good.  Bigger Pumkinseeds were pretty common out there from early am to around 1 or so.  Weeds are starting to lay down, so what weeds you find, you will find fish.  I walked around with a guy & his camera marking weeds & fish.  Tons of LM Bass grouped together, & quite a few Northern as well.  Hopefully this is just a snowmelt heatwave! ;D  Did anyone get out today?

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #81 on: Jan 06, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Bout 10 years ago took the canal tour in spring. Further west we got like Kewanee the bigger the shad were floating in canal.  No real fish caught that day though.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #82 on: Jan 06, 2008, 12:44 PM »
if this wind keeps up with the water on top of the ice it'll eat it up in no time.  The rain tom. aint gonna help either!!!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jan 06, 2008, 06:30 PM »
How much water do you guys see on the top of the ice today?  I was out on Bangs yesterday, & did pretty good.  Big Northern kept hanging around a hot hole I had.  I saw him 4 different times in about a 30 minute span.  Told a couple of guys out there to move some tip ups next to where I was set up, & I still kept seeing him.  Never hit, just hung out down there spooking my spot to nothing.  I moved on from that, only to not get anything going quite as good.  Bigger Pumkinseeds were pretty common out there from early am to around 1 or so.  Weeds are starting to lay down, so what weeds you find, you will find fish.  I walked around with a guy & his camera marking weeds & fish.  Tons of LM Bass grouped together, & quite a few Northern as well.  Hopefully this is just a snowmelt heatwave! ;D  Did anyone get out today?

should have gave me a call ! i haven't been able to get online a whole lot lately but my phone is always on. i haven't been out since petite lake. looks like we are screwed for a while here. only took a day to lose almost 1 foot of snow. might have to break out the long rods at this rate.

looks like the destruction will slow down by tuesday night with the overnight temps dipping below freezing. friday will be the day we see the ice machine turn back on.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 06, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Sorry, I've been busy during the week, but I have 2 cell phones, so no good excuse on my part, just lazy! ;D  I screwed my wrist up at work, so I wasn't sure if I was still going to be up for going out yesterday, but I overcame my wussy type problems!  I'd like to head out again next weekend if we've got some safe ice by then!  I hope it doesn't honeycomb too much!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.