The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Magog pike a problem? Let me ease your pain.  (Read 7307 times)

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Magog pike a problem? Let me ease your pain.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:47 AM »
Can somebody clear this up for me before I get in trouble. Is providence island in canada? Where is the cutoff line for us vt fishermen. Last year fishing there, I saw guys all around the island. Are the guys on the north end from Canada? What type of fish are caught off the west end of the twins? 

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:50 AM »
I've only really fished on the South side of the island and on the east on what I've considered the line.  There is a swath of trees cut to denote the border and I believe it is cut on the island also.  From what I remember the Southern 1/3 of the island is in the US.  Sometimes you will see Canadian fishermen jigging right on the border from the island to the Eastern shore.  We've fished right along with them just 20yds or so to the south.  You can see the cut line on the mainland pretty well on both the Eastern and Western shores. 

Hope this helps!  I plan on going up for this Saturday for the day even if I have to fish in my waders.  If anyone goes up this week I'd love to here a report!  Thanks in advance!

KP

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:16 AM »
I didn't notice the cut across the island. I did see the ones on shore, but they appeared to be north of the island. Glad to hear where the border is as I was planning on fishing a little farther north than last year. Looks like if I did that I would need to learn how to speak french. Am I correct to assume that the guys fishing just south of the island are trying for lakers?

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:25 AM »
F&B Do you mean this year on in the past when the shanties are on the ice?  About 4 years ago one of my buddies put a shanty there and did pretty well for perch.  We are mainly targeting perch ourselves and setting up a few tip ups once the season starts for Salmon and trout.  It's funny, I remember a few seasons when jigging on bottom right on the border was producing some nice bass in numbers...think this was later in  Feb and March though.  Hard to believe the season is two weeks away still?  Feels like we've been fishing for a while now.

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:10 AM »
I have not fished it this year. I primarily fish trout and salmon, so I better wait a couple of weeks...I have been trying to figure out how I can continue to fish with smelt on my tipups and Magog is one place I think that is possible. I have caught some nice fish there in the few times I have fished it, but always used smelt. Using shiners is going to be new to me. I thought I would get some shiners to put my tips in the water while I jigged smelt close to shore. This will limit how far from the twins I will be able to fish. Do the guys catching smelt up there use small jigs for them? I learned to smelt fish on Champlain with a flasher and cut bait, however on the smaller lakes it seems people fish for them with small jigs in tight to shore.

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:20 AM »
I know it's hardwater season but I have an open water question???

My friend owns a camp on Eagle point? He really doesn't fish much and wants to catch a trout in August when he's up there. If I bring my boat up for the week what do I need to do as far a registrations go and anything else? My boat is registered in New Hampshire, would that be okay? thanks for the help Guy's

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:47 AM »
Jigging up smelt has never been a problem for us on Magog.  Even off of the twins more than 1/2 mile in any direction we've been able to find them....or rather they find us and get in the way of the perch.  I've rigged a 2lb line on a sensitive jig stick with some size 16 or so wet fly hooks.  Just tip the hook with some cut bait...minnows or whatever and you should be all set for your trout tip ups.  Sometimes they are on bottom and other times they are only a few feet from the ice.  We catch big perch on smelt too.

KP

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2008, 12:02 PM »
How deep is the water that you usually find them in? Must not be too deep because it appears some of those shanties look like they are on shore, or are they the perch guys. When I fished for them on Champlain very seldom could we find good schools in less the 50 fow. I also saw guys fishing just south of the twins, are the smelt and perching it also, or do the pick up more trout down that way?

Offline hizzy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:14 PM »
I know it's hardwater season but I have an open water question???

My friend owns a camp on Eagle point? He really doesn't fish much and wants to catch a trout in August when he's up there. If I bring my boat up for the week what do I need to do as far a registrations go and anything else? My boat is registered in New Hampshire, would that be okay? thanks for the help Guy's
To answer your question... If you want to fish Magog for trout in August you will need to fish on the Canadian side, as the trout spend the summer months basking in the depths over there. The water on the US side is not deep enough anywhere to sustain trout in the summertime.

Offline hizzy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:20 PM »
How deep is the water that you usually find them in? Must not be too deep because it appears some of those shanties look like they are on shore, or are they the perch guys. When I fished for them on Champlain very seldom could we find good schools in less the 50 fow. I also saw guys fishing just south of the twins, are the smelt and perching it also, or do the pick up more trout down that way?
You will find them in anywhere from 10' to 40' depths on Magog. I usually use Hali jigs tipped with a few maggots and have no problem catching enough smelt for a weekend within a few hours. There are A LOT of smelt in Magog, just stay mobile and you will find them. Sometimes I have the best luck after dark with a lantern set up over the hole. They will come up to the surface at times and you can catch them just under the ice... Good luck, be safe, conditions could be sketchy by next weekend...

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:00 PM »
We fish smelts in 10 fow on the north tip of bell,maybe 30yards off shore then set tipups ,straight out to Gull rocks,get a few trout just under the ice and a SMB or 2 deeper.We are headed up friday and fish for perch and smelt .I know a few years ago we got a little to close to the border and had company in a hurry but they were chasing a crazy frenchman that came down at 50 mph made a loop around the islands and headed back north.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.