The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 160801 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #450 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:49 PM »
Last week I went out, there was more than 24" of ice, felt like I wasn't going to make it to my 5th hole in a row using a 7" lazer hand auger. I need to get the drill soon, but I still haven't really figured out if it's worth getting the makita for the extra torque or is the M18 fuel going to work fine without draining the battery too quickly or wearing down the tool faster.
     Its a chevy/ford debate, whatever you feel is going to work better, the Makita has more torque, but I think the Milwaukee drills outnumber them, has to be a reason for that!!

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #451 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:34 PM »
I just ordered the Makita today. I hemmed and hawed for about two weeks reading every post on different forums trying to decide between the Makita or Milwaukee. I thought for the 70.00 more why not rather than have to wish I went bigger later on.I only want to buy once.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #452 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:26 PM »
I just ordered the Makita today. I hemmed and hawed for about two weeks reading every post on different forums trying to decide between the Makita or Milwaukee. I thought for the 70.00 more why not rather than have to wish I went bigger later on.I only want to buy once.

You'll like it. The Makita drilled as many holes  as I wanted (didn't count 'em)  w/out the Clam plate. Only used 1/3 capacity on first battery...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #453 on: Feb 24, 2015, 04:51 AM »
     Its a chevy/ford debate, whatever you feel is going to work better, the Makita has more torque, but I think the Milwaukee drills outnumber them, has to be a reason for that!!
      but I think the Milwaukee drills outnumber them  Gills don't you think Milwaukee outnumbers Makita because Makita just came out with the 1090 in/lb drill this year and Milwaukee 725 in/lb was out last year and maybe longer.

Ridgerunner, you say $70.00 more for the Makita, when I compared kit to kit- drill, charger, and two batteries the price difference I found was $15.00 more for the Makita.

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #454 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:14 AM »
make sure the Makita was the XPH07T with the 5AH batteries. CPO industrial price was 349.00. Cheepest I found. They do make one with 4AH batteries

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #455 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:21 AM »
make sure the Makita was the XPH07T with the 5AH batteries. CPO industrial price was 349.00. Cheepest I found. They do make one with 4AH batteries
5Ah battery available now, that's good. this will do the job for you.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #456 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:47 AM »
      but I think the Milwaukee drills outnumber them  Gills don't you think Milwaukee outnumbers Makita because Makita just came out with the 1090 in/lb drill this year and Milwaukee 725 in/lb was out last year and maybe longer.

Ridgerunner, you say $70.00 more for the Makita, when I compared kit to kit- drill, charger, and two batteries the price difference I found was $15.00 more for the Makita.
               Might be, but they also have a very good reputation!!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #457 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Read carefully...

1) The new Makita edges the Milwaukee in TQ but it did not drill any more holes on a charge.

2)  Makita batteries have always been terrible when it comes to longevity. Hopefully this has changed.

3) Milwaukee released the new 5.0 red lithium Ion battery in late 2014 for another 20-25% life.

4) Milwaukee's Red Lithium Ion batteries are not effected by cold weather. They are rated to perform down to -19 C. This is by far the biggest advantage for Mil and why I bought the drill. I am guessing others will follow suit with battery technology if not already.

The bottom line is Milwaukee paved the way for brushless technology and long life batteries. Take the time and do the research like I did and read more then 1 site that tests drills.

Took this off a different thread!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #458 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Read carefully...

1) The new Makita edges the Milwaukee in TQ but it did not drill any more holes on a charge.

2)  Makita batteries have always been terrible when it comes to longevity. Hopefully this has changed.

3) Milwaukee released the new 5.0 red lithium Ion battery in late 2014 for another 20-25% life.

4) Milwaukee's Red Lithium Ion batteries are not effected by cold weather. They are rated to perform down to -19 C[-4F]. This is by far the biggest advantage for Mil and why I bought the drill. I am guessing others will follow suit with battery technology if not already.

The bottom line is Milwaukee paved the way for brushless technology and long life batteries. Take the time and do the research like I did and read more then 1 site that tests drills.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #459 on: Feb 24, 2015, 12:10 PM »
Read carefully...

4) Milwaukee's Red Lithium Ion batteries are not effected by cold weather. They are rated to perform down to -19 C. This is by far the biggest advantage for Mil and why I bought the drill. I am guessing others will follow suit with battery technology if not already.

good info thanks

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #460 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:35 PM »
After reading that bit about battery longevity and designed for cold I went with the Milwaukee today, plus it was in stock vs ordering and waiting for the Mikita.  Now my problem is I don't have a Philips screwdriver big enough to really grab that chuck screw enough to break the loctite. Looks like I'll need to see if a friend is available with proper tools or bring it back into Home Depot and see if I can get them to help.

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #461 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:39 AM »
After reading that bit about battery longevity and designed for cold I went with the Milwaukee today, plus it was in stock vs ordering and waiting for the Mikita.  Now my problem is I don't have a Philips screwdriver big enough to really grab that chuck screw enough to break the loctite. Looks like I'll need to see if a friend is available with proper tools or bring it back into Home Depot and see if I can get them to help.
USE A #2  square drive bit, i mangled mine using philips #3.  the screw is actually designed for their multi bit ecx #2 or whatever they call it.  i ordered new replacement screw for mine from ereplacementparts.com. 

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #462 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:10 AM »
I had the same problem with the screw. I have all kinds of tools and worked on it for two days with no success. I wound up taking it to a electrical repair shop that repairs Milwaukee. I asked him if it was the loctite and he said no, just that it was extremely tight and the chuck was also. Before trying to take out the screw I used it with a 7" laser for two days of fishing, lazers really grab hard especially at the bottom of the hole, wonder if that really torqued the heck out of the screw and chuck. Repair shop charged $5 to get it out.  You do know it's a left hand thread turn clockwise to loosen. Maybe with the right tool you'll have better luck than I did. Now the funny part of the story is, I used the drill with the clam plate a few times and wound up removing it, reason being it forced me to bring two drills on the ice, one with the auger and plate and one for screwing in my Eskimo ice anchors, to much gear to bring out.  Back to square one

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #463 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:56 AM »
Chi, I do know that it's a reversed screw, and I'm about to bring it into The store to see if I can get some help or get the right bit to work on it. I really hope to use it today.

Also, your screen name throws me off evey time I see one of your posts because that's my first name lol.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #464 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:10 AM »
Chi, I do know that it's a reversed screw, and I'm about to bring it into The store to see if I can get some help or get the right bit to work on it. I really hope to use it today.

Also, your screen name throws me off evey time I see one of your posts because that's my first name lol.
If you find a bit that really grabs the screw head let me know. Took my Ridgid screw and chuck off and reassembled in less than 5 minutes but had a heck of a time with the Milwaukee.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #465 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:30 AM »
I used my ridgid drill, I could get the center screw out but couldn't get the chuck off. I called HD and the guy said to bring it in cuz they had a special service group that could get it off. So, I drove down there (half hour drive) and talk to everybody and they all shrug and say they don't have a clue how to get it off! I got a hold of the manager that told me to bring it in and it's a pimple faced kid,  first thing he asks me is if the chuck is supposed to come off! I hope you have better luck with HD than I did, I won't waste time with them anymore. I finally came up with a fix to use the drill and clam plate without taking the chuck off. Works great but when the ice gets thick it eats up batteries. Last time I was out I got almost 4 holes through 18" of ice before the battery died. But I gotta admit, I only have the 1.5 amp battery. Whatever drill you use, get the better batteries. The thing I'm thinking though is, with everything I paid for on this thing and the fact that I need to spend a couple hundred more on batteries if I want to use this thing on thicker ice, I'da probably saved money by getting a real ice auger and not screwing up my drill as much as I did trying to get the dang chuck off. ::)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #466 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:19 PM »
USE A #2  square drive bit, i mangled mine using philips #3.  the screw is actually designed for their multi bit ecx #2 or whatever they call it.  i ordered new replacement screw for mine from ereplacementparts.com.

I got mine out pretty easy with a large flat blade screwdriver.  The chuck, though, was a problem.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #467 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Well it seems mine is extremely stubborn, Home Depot guys tried but couldn't get it out with another impact drill and the ecx bit. But my friend came over and we heated the screw with his solder iron and then leaned into it on a secured blunt Philips screwdriver and then turned on the drill! Now I'm trying to get the chuck off using the Allen wrench and hammer method to no avail, I've bent my two biggest wrenches. Going over to friends house to try some of his tools.

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #468 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:52 PM »
I got mine out pretty easy with a large flat blade screwdriver.  The chuck, though, was a problem.

flat head for me was no go.

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #469 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:53 PM »
Well it seems mine is extremely stubborn, Home Depot guys tried but couldn't get it out with another impact drill and the ecx bit. But my friend came over and we heated the screw with his solder iron and then leaned into it on a secured blunt Philips screwdriver and then turned on the drill! Now I'm trying to get the chuck off using the Allen wrench and hammer method to no avail, I've bent my two biggest wrenches. Going over to friends house to try some of his tools.

if you have a 1/2 inch drive 1/2 inch hex socket and breaker bar it will come right off, the screw was a nightmare but chuck came off with a simple twist of the breaker bar.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #470 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:00 AM »
it's been mentioned before and you probably already know but I figure I would mention it again just in case. The center screw is a left hand thread but the chuck is right hand. You turn the screw cw to loosen and the chuck ccw to loosen.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #471 on: Feb 27, 2015, 02:47 PM »
I know it was mentioned above but here is a link to the trade-in and models. 2604-20 less 100 bucks is a winner for me, I have about 6 Dewalts DOA around here somewhere....

http://www.neushardware.com/milwaukee-tool-trade-savings/

Honestly, attaching a drill to my Nils convertible is going to seem like E-Z mode for making holes in ice.

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #472 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Makita is attached  to clam plate. No Problem. Got out my augers out. Finbore is old folding model doesn't fit. My old Moras have welded attachment to handle. The two lazers I have are 4 in. which is welded so the 5in is the only one I can use tomorrow. Mostly Perch fishing but northerns and lakers are not uncommon.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #473 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:49 PM »
Makita is attached  to clam plate. No Problem. Got out my augers out. Finbore is old folding model doesn't fit. My old Moras have welded attachment to handle. The two lazers I have are 4 in. which is welded so the 5in is the only one I can use tomorrow. Mostly Perch fishing but northerns and lakers are not uncommon.
         You'll love the plate, no matter what drill is on it!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #474 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:27 PM »
I got the chuck off last night, 3/8 in Allen wrench and a pipe as a breaker bar. I tested it this morning and drill more than 10 holes in 30" of ice (well 24" of solid ice, 6-8" frozen slush layers) and still had a bar left on the battery! Very pleased with the performance with a 7" lazer auger, and the clam extention rod fits in it perfectly.

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #475 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:31 PM »
Hey everyone first of all thanks to everyone for posting thoughts comments results about this topic made things easy for me.  I went with the Milwaukee fuel m18 brushless with 2 4ah batteries.  I had an adapter made for my fin bore I 6 inch with fresh blades.  I got 14 holes in 32 plus inches of ice over the course of a 6 hour day. I had one bar left on my first battery.  Super impressed with the speed of the drill/ auger.  Probably going to order 2 5 ah batteries this summer and be done with gas augers all together. I built a battery cover box out of insultex with gorilla tape over.  Didn't put a stick on foot warmer inside bc I wanted to see what everyone thought of that? Would it make the battery too hot?  Thanks
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #476 on: Feb 28, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Hey everyone first of all thanks to everyone for posting thoughts comments results about this topic made things easy for me.  I went with the Milwaukee fuel m18 brushless with 2 4ah batteries.  I had an adapter made for my fin bore I 6 inch with fresh blades.  I got 14 holes in 32 plus inches of ice over the course of a 6 hour day. I had one bar left on my first battery.  Super impressed with the speed of the drill/ auger.  Probably going to order 2 5 ah batteries this summer and be done with gas augers all together. I built a battery cover box out of insultex with gorilla tape over.  Didn't put a stick on foot warmer inside bc I wanted to see what everyone thought of that? Would it make the battery too hot?  Thanks
           Was out -20 the other day, drill 40+ holes in 21" ice over the course of 4 hrs before 1st battery quit!!  The drill and battery was laying on the ice, and when I left at noon, it had warmed up to 4 degrees above, I wouldn't worry too much about the battery's!!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #477 on: Mar 01, 2015, 05:21 PM »
The last couple times out I have been drilling through 8" of snow and slush and then 14" or more of ice with my clam plate, M18 Fuel with 6" lazer.  With the extension at about 12", I was within 10" of the top at breakthrough.   I found that I really need to clear the chips when the hole is wet, especially once the top of the fluting is down in the hole.  Had the thing stall once (for a second) when the slush/chips packed around the fluting, but once I started clearing the slush a couple times when I drilled all went OK.  Drilled 20-25 holes (I don't keep an accurate count), one bar left.  I am still thrilled with this setup.  I have only gone through an entire battery once, and that time I was drilling for 3 guys. 

Offline basscat45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #478 on: Mar 01, 2015, 05:51 PM »
I got the milwawkee 18 fuel and 6 lazer great set up drilled over 30 holes today thru 15in of ice still had 2 bars left.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #479 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Today I kept count.  30 6" holes through 19" of ice with my M18/clam plate/lazer.  I think the 700" claimed by clam only works for shallower ice.  With deeper ice, the drill has to work more per inch drilled to clear the ice and slush.  I'm still happy with this. 

The battery had 1 bar when I got home.  As soon as it died on the ice I switched the the second battery so I don't know if the first one would have recovered enough for a few more holes.  I did notice that it got slower on the last several holes, especially compared to the fresh battery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.