The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 160868 times)

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #420 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:16 PM »
          I  Give it 6 months, the price will come down!!
Don't think the 4.0Ah dropped in price since last winter, but you never know.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #421 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Amazon right now a 4ah battery $82 free shipping

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #422 on: Feb 08, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Amazon right now a 4ah battery $82 free shipping
great price, so wait six months buy the 5.0Ah in August use it next year but then the 6.0 Ah will be out  :o. or just stick with the 4.0 which works just fine.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #423 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Have 2  4ah, that will do me for a while!!

Offline flyfisherdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #424 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:06 PM »
So, I had an old (1980s) Mora auger, folding style, that I made an adapter for to use with the clam plate + Ridgid 18V hammer drill. It worked OK up to about 8" ice then would stall, cut, stall, cut. I wasn't confident new blades would be enough as the ice is now pushing 20" in places. I used this as an excuse to pick up a 6" Fin Bore III from a local tackle shop. I've wanted to upgrade my Mora for a while now. Wow! What a difference! I know, I know, that sounds obvious but I'd never used one before. By hand it blasted through 18" hard black ice in less than a minute, no pressure. On the clam plate/drill, about 10s or less to go thru 18" effortlessly. No idea yet how many holes I will get yet but I am very impressed. Looking forward to getting some lakers too big for the 6" hole LOL! ;D

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #425 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:20 AM »

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #426 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:50 PM »
That is a very good price, Pete. 

But, the drill to get is the Brush-less Hammer drill.     ;)2

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #427 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:54 PM »

Brushless, runs with a "heavier" transmission so to speak, to prevent heat-up, which is why they just quit drilling!!   The hammer drill is built heavier, I'm pretty sure!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #428 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:58 PM »
True, Gills.     Even though it's run on drill mode.    Better than good, ha.    :bow:

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #429 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:16 PM »
Just picked up a clam plate today, but I'm still doing research and saving up for a drill. Hopefully I'll have a drill before the end of the season.  The recomended drills on this review are a bit expensive (especially since I'm not in power tools or building things) but at least this way the money spent won't be for a specially dedicated tool like a powered ice auger.  If I didn't go this rout I was looking at the SM lazer ion, which would of been at least a hundred more than the drill and I won't be able to use it more than half the year.
Now, since I live in Maine (thickish ice) and I have a 7" lazer auger; are there any drill sets that are 250 or less that would be suitable? I usually don't do any more than 15-20 holes in a day.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #430 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:30 PM »
With that few holes, it's something to consider: A money saving drill (set) with a limited warranty or the best with a lifetime warranty.     ??? :unsure:

One and done, with the best seems frugal and in the long run will really save you a lot.    :o

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #431 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Good point, buy quality and buy once. Now, the Milwaukee has a two year longer warrantee, but the makita has 300# more torque. Both sets I'm looking at are the same price right now (homedepot.com) for the Milwaukee 2604-22 and the matika xfd07m. Which one would you guys go with?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #432 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:27 PM »
I cast my one feeble vote for Rigid brushless hammer drill and the lifetime warranty on all components.    ;)2

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #433 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Me and the brother both have the Milwaukee brushless M18.
2604-22 or the 2603-22(non-hammer) Both have 700 in lbs of torque with a battery indicator built into the batterty.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #434 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:59 PM »
I have the 2604-22 also, great setup!!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #435 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:08 PM »
I love my Milwaukee fuel 18v... Wouldn't change it for anything...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #436 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:40 PM »
Good point, buy quality and buy once. Now, the Milwaukee has a two year longer warrantee, but the makita has 300# more torque. Both sets I'm looking at are the same price right now (homedepot.com) for the Milwaukee 2604-22 and the matika xfd07m. Which one would you guys go with?

I've got the milwaukee with two 4amp batteries. Great drill. However, the makita has 300# more torque and wasnt out when I got the milwaukee. If it was I'd be running a makita. 😮. My milwaukee seems to turn my 8in nils and 7in lazer no problem, but I think with the extra torque of the makita it would be easier on that drill. It's kinda like a pickup truck, you may not need the extra power but it sure is nice to have when you do need it. Knock on wood, I haven't had my milwaukee stop drilling a hole yet.....but i've only drilled through about 18-24inches of ice at most for a hole with it. I don't know if it would heat up and stop in a 3ft hole or not. I would think with the extra power the makita would be even less likely to heat up and stop drilling, and be harder to over work the drill.

They have the torque specs for a reason to compare the drills, use it.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #437 on: Feb 10, 2015, 05:32 AM »
I have the Milwaukee but if I was buying today I'd go with the Makita. Why not get 365 extra in/lbs of torque for just about the same cost. The makita set----drill, charger and two 4.0Ah batteries or wait till the 5.0Ah battery becomes available here in the states, hopefully soon and buy the drill charger and one 5.0 Ah battery separate.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #438 on: Feb 10, 2015, 08:56 AM »

I haven't had my milwaukee stop drilling a hole yet.....but i've only drilled through about 18-24inches of ice at most for a hole with it. I don't know if it would heat up and stop in a 3ft hole or not.

I have the identical drill and have drilled up to eight holes in 30+ inches and the drill just keeps on going. The only problem I had is without the "T" handle I have to get down on my knees because of the wrist pressure.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #439 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:36 AM »

I guess thats why it dropped...

I think I have my mind made up on the Fuel anyway.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #440 on: Feb 10, 2015, 11:18 AM »
I have the identical drill and have drilled up to eight holes in 30+ inches and the drill just keeps on going. The only problem I had is without the "T" handle I have to get down on my knees because of the wrist pressure.
last year I drilled 15 holes in 30" of ice and still had half battery left using a ridgid hammer drill 615 in/lbs with a 6" k-drill and no clam plate. Tomorrow I'll be using the Milwaukee hammer, clam plate and 8" Mora. should get more than enough holes in to fish all day with one 5.0Ah batt.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #441 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:55 AM »
If I need calculus to drill a hole, I'll stick with my 4" in Fin Bor ;D

Simply put, the drill doesn't have enough ooomph to drill 8" holes.

RG

A year later....It's not calculus, Bro, It's geometry!  ;D

Stay with it,
Ted

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #442 on: Feb 14, 2015, 01:50 AM »
To anyone who like to know the Nils 8" Trekker bit will fit the clam extension.  There is minor play but it's the same play as using a Strikemaster bit too.  A little masking or electrical will ease that.  On the 6" trekker I don't know if the shaft size is the same to fit like the 8".  I would assume it is?

Offline Rabbithunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #443 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Right now until April 1st or 30th not sure which one, Milwaukee is having a tool trade in sale. I got the M18 Fuel with (2) 4a batteries for $179. I live in Iowa not sure if that matters or not. I bought mine from Acme tools. The crazy thing is I have not seen this advertised anywhere. I was actually told by a Milwaukee rep. Trade in an old drill and receive $100 off.

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #444 on: Feb 21, 2015, 02:43 AM »
wish i had the extra cash, i would love a second m18 fuel so i could leave mine on the clam plate and not have to keep putting it on and taking it off.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #445 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:23 AM »
A bare tool is not too expensive ($130 or so).  You don't need another charger or more batteries.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #446 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:43 AM »
wish i had the extra cash, i would love a second m18 fuel so i could leave mine on the clam plate and not have to keep putting it on and taking it off.
                $95 on Amazon, shipped to the door, bare drill!!  That's what I did, leave it on and work projects with the other drill!!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #447 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:35 PM »
          What size auger 6 or 8"??

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #448 on: Feb 23, 2015, 12:12 PM »
I just got the same deal on the fuel 18v.  Trade old drill and one battery for 100 bucks off.  Also I discussed at length with the Milwaukee salesman if there was any difference between the drill and hammer drill.  He said that there wasn't any difference only that the hammer selection for concrete.  I told him it was for ice fishing and he said to only buy the drill which saved 20 bucks.  This was at a contractor tool store not a big chain store.  He works off commission and knows his stuff
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #449 on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Last week I went out, there was more than 24" of ice, felt like I wasn't going to make it to my 5th hole in a row using a 7" lazer hand auger. I need to get the drill soon, but I still haven't really figured out if it's worth getting the makita for the extra torque or is the M18 fuel going to work fine without draining the battery too quickly or wearing down the tool faster.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.