Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 255951 times)

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #300 on: Oct 15, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Holy bass boat batman! Nicely done sir, very cool!

Just bought the Clam Big Mouth, and i am pumped and ready to modify. Thanks to the idea from someone on here i will be attempting to build a fiberglass deck with footprints and storage compartments. Will post progress pics.
Will be using a very stiff form of cardboard for the pattern.
(Image removed from quote.)
The compartment on the right will be rod storage. Will be installing a hinged door.

Holy bass boat batman! Nicely done sir, very cool!
Pretty much finished with this project. Still need to come up with a good way to secure Hand or Power auger.
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline hoosierdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #301 on: Oct 15, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Nice work
love to fish....hate to work

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #302 on: Oct 16, 2014, 02:50 PM »
since a lot of people own fish traps or flip overs here is a cool item to throw your lures on it was made for salmon spoons. i purchased it from big poppa sport fishing here in Michigan with the Velcro straps.  to hang from the shanty walls over the tubes in the shanty or from fiber glass poles in the hub style shanties... here is a picture and a link to them..

http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com/

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #303 on: Oct 20, 2014, 11:14 AM »
I've been thinking of changing the seating system around on my Fish Trap Scout for awhile. I was never a big fan of the two tubes taking up all that room in the sled. My first fish trap (1993) had a bench style seat that I really liked. I was deciding if I was going to make the bench seat like my original trap which had conduit frame with a plywood (with carpet).  Looking through past post on this site I saw on page 14 that gldnrcher had a better style. It looked like he had just moved the tubes to the outside. It worked great! I like having the bench seat to set rods, etc. on. I attached a few photos, unfortunately the carpet I had on hand wasn't big enough so I had to use two pieces which doesn't look as well. I moved the mesh bag that had been under the seat to the side, I did have to add an extra brace for that.
Thanks gldnrcher for posting that picture on page 14 and 15.

Thanks for posting the mod on the seat and two tubes.  I missed seeing it in the picture gldnrcher posted.  I had taken the seat and tubes out and put them in the attic of the shed and used a folding chair but after seeing your post, I did the mod.  Works great and creates more room.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #305 on: Nov 09, 2014, 03:45 PM »
found a good way to mount the fish finder in my fish trap and s3000 any thing with a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch steel or aluminum pole..

just got mine finished for a sonar will be using same mount in the s3000 of mine one on each side in the s3000 and only one in the frabill recon....

Offline hoosierdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #306 on: Nov 09, 2014, 11:58 PM »
where did u find the mount? or is it homemade?  Great idea! 

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #307 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:19 PM »
where did u find the mount? or is it homemade?  Great idea!

the silver part is a tite-lok rail mount i took and hooked to a ram mount by tapping for threads the ball base mount of a ram mount. then screwing it all together i used a 1 inch by 3/8 - 16 thread screw... same with the tap it was 3/8 by 16 thread per inch..  if you need more picks i can get them the mount works awesome you can also use it on the shappell s3000 shanties... any thing with a tubular frame. i got mine at gander m. it is a rail mount rod holder for like pontoon boats. i just used the base i did not have to drill the ram mount base either by the way just use the tap on it for threads.. they are aluminum so be careful not to crack it with to much pressure from the tap like back it out and restart it ever once in a while.   the cost of the ram mount base was 9.99 at cabelas  the flasher mount was 35 at cabelas and the tite-loc was 14.99 at gander..  already had the stuff laying around so cost for me was zero dollars... but not that pricey any how if you got a boat you can move from the shanty to boat with the ram mount very easily. it is just a thumb screw... try tite-lok .com  or google tite-lok rod holder and find the mfgs web site they should have them there and ware to find them or buy them..   

Offline hoosierdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #308 on: Nov 10, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #309 on: Nov 04, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Recently got a used fish trap for cheap. Already did a couple mods to it. Led lights, 12v power outlet, both on a diamond plate box I made. A shelf made of azak plastic trim, and a bracket to hold my mr buddy in the sled. All were very good ideas that I got from this page!

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #310 on: Nov 04, 2015, 09:07 PM »
Good deal, glad to hear you were able to make use of some of the ideas posted on here. That is why we share them!

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #311 on: Nov 25, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Here is my smitty sled all painted up with an auger rack added. Also made a pole holder out of a 3/4" pvc elbow. Shortened it up a little and drilled a hole through it and bolted it into and existing hole in the seat mount. When not in use it just spins out of the way

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
« Reply #312 on: Jan 12, 2016, 05:20 PM »
Just an idea for rod storage. I've played with buckets, soft cases, mounted rod holders, and just about everything else. I like to carry 5-6 rods and always seem to get tangled. This idea works good in the house. Haven't been on the ice yet.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #313 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:53 PM »
wetline005, I like your rod holders. I was wondering what type of materials did you use, especially the black material. It looks like PVC, but the wall thickness seems thinner than normal?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
« Reply #314 on: Jan 13, 2016, 04:03 AM »
wetline005, I like your rod holders. I was wondering what type of materials did you use, especially the black material. It looks like PVC, but the wall thickness seems thinner than normal?
Thanks, and it is 1 1/4 pvc that I painted. I also used plasti dip for the blue part to smooth out any sharp edges and cushion the reels.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #315 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:07 AM »
Help me trick this!

"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #316 on: Feb 14, 2016, 01:26 PM »
Alot of "Tricking" your flip depends on your style of ice fishing... whether you are pulling your sled (where weight is a major determining factor) or using a motorized vehicle.  If you are a very mobile type icer or a stationary one are things to consider also.  You might check out You Tube Videos too.

Convenience Items (Lights, Bait Holder, Cup Holder, Tackle Box, Rod Holder, etc), plus easily accessible & an organized "system" will be your key to success
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #317 on: Feb 14, 2016, 01:30 PM »
Pull by hand for me
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #318 on: Feb 14, 2016, 01:32 PM »
If your trekking by foot, then weight & bulk will be of the utmost consideration in anything you add, build, buy or attach to your Flip.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #319 on: Aug 26, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Didn't think of looking in the auto section of stores. I guess that's another area to spend time in. Will use some of these ideas. Lots of good methods.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Wavfire06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #320 on: Oct 23, 2016, 01:30 PM »

What I did today for a build to orginize my stuff hate everything rolling around the sled going to boat carpet it after awhile
If u can read my coat u are to close

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #321 on: Oct 26, 2016, 07:13 AM »
Wavfire06: Well thought out, organized & constructed unit.  Kudo's

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #322 on: Oct 26, 2016, 07:44 AM »
What materials did you use in construction? Looks good!!!  :tipup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Wavfire06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #323 on: Oct 26, 2016, 09:31 PM »
Used 2X2 and 1X2 and hardboard from menards going to seal it and hopefully marine carpet it also if I make the time to do it
If u can read my coat u are to close

Offline borg0196

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #324 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:58 AM »
Lots of great ideas on here. I am adding some cut up rain gutters to the back to hold my tip ups in, they fit perfectly. I also added some of the 4"pvc to hold extra 1lb propane. I am working on a shelf system that will have cup holder, and rod holder. Making it a little wider to help hold the side of the canvas out away and at least make it feel larger inside. I am hooking up the eye bolts to the front and using pvc pipes to run the pull rope through, I bought a harness system and want the pvc to help separate the lines a little more evenly. Bought some Climbing caribiners on clearance that will attaché to both ends of the ropes. I can easily add or remove it that way. Try to add some photos when I am all set up.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #325 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:05 PM »
Wavfire06, that's a great set up and makes it easy to see if you're missing anything. 

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #326 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:52 PM »

What I did today for a build to orginize my stuff hate everything rolling around the sled going to boat carpet it after awhile

Luan and pine ripped down to 1x1s nice and lite
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #327 on: Dec 29, 2016, 01:04 PM »
Missing the snowmobile to tow with 😀

Offline kuenro02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #328 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:13 PM »
Awesome,  awesome post going here. I'm going to be purchasing a 1 man flip for trips I take alone and don't want to drag my 2 man yukon. Haven't seen any mods to mount a buddy heater/cooker? Basically a sunflower heater with the metal stand. It gets hot and when jumping holes you have to wait a few minutes to put it in your tent to move. Anyone have an idea on how to mount it or hang it so i can move quick and not have to worry about melting anything?

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #329 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:01 PM »
I am not positive this will work but I think that Reflex stuff is made of metal foil. How about lining a bucket with reflex or some other heat resistant material you may know of and then put your warm heater in the bucket for transport purposes?

Good Luck

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.