Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 256570 times)

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #270 on: Nov 05, 2013, 06:34 PM »
btw corndog i have an old gentz trap i dont have much for pics of it but here is one that shows it

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #271 on: Nov 05, 2013, 06:39 PM »
toofuss

what trap is on the left?
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #272 on: Nov 05, 2013, 08:38 PM »
that is an older shappell rover 1

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #273 on: Nov 09, 2013, 02:35 PM »
 Baitbucket, the links for the fiberglass materials doesn't work anymore, anyway you could send me other links or let me know exactly what is needed. Looking to build a box in the next couple weeks.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #274 on: Nov 12, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Any fiberglass resin/hardener should work. Just be sure when you buy it has both the resin and a tube of the hardener:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1414937

Use the Fiberglass cloth instead of the matt. Its much easier to use.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1383203
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #275 on: Nov 12, 2013, 05:46 PM »
Would be interesting to see the weight of the fiberglass. My mod with the Milk crates, lid and cushions weigh 13lbs.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
I've been trying to configure a layout using milk crates in my scout tc. Thanks for ideas!
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #276 on: Nov 12, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Just bought a yukon tc. Any suggestions or oics of your tricked trap? Any insight on how to remove one seat and center mine when in at it alone?

Offline pokey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #277 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Just bought a yukon tc. Any suggestions or oics of your tricked trap? Any insight on how to remove one seat and center mine when in at it alone?

I have a nanook and I just order another seat braket and instead of bolting the seats to the brakets I used a hich pin. So I have 3 brakets. The 2 for when its a 2 man and then one in the middle for when its just me.

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #278 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Bump.. ::)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #279 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:49 AM »
Any chance of loading a few pics?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline rangerbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #280 on: Nov 15, 2013, 02:41 PM »
I like your idea of adding the basketball hoop to the seat back for times when they just aren't biting!! ;D

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #281 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:51 AM »
I found an old post about making runners out of conduit to make pulling a Fish trap through snow easier.  I tried it, and have only used it once so far, but it definitely made pulling the trap easier. Of course I couldn't find that post again to say thanks to the author, so I decided to just put it here. thanks.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #282 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:57 AM »
I found an old post about making runners out of conduit to make pulling a Fish trap through snow easier.  I tried it, and have only used it once so far, but it definitely made pulling the trap easier. Of course I couldn't find that post again to say thanks to the author, so I decided to just put it here. thanks.

Cool! Post some pics!
I went with a smitty Sled.. Pulls like a dream. I have also heard guys using car wax on the bottoms of their Traps with good results. I plan on doing good that in the off season..
It is what it is....

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #283 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Thanks for starting over lonewolf. Most useful thred

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #284 on: Jan 31, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Cool! Post some pics!
I went with a smitty Sled.. Pulls like a dream. I have also heard guys using car wax on the bottoms of their Traps with good results. I plan on doing good that in the off season..
I made runners out of conduit and used pvc u-bolted to the side. I can then slide the runners in when moving and pull them out when I set up. I've only used it once so far but it seems to work. As I mentioned above I found the idea for this on an old thread.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #285 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Sweet! Nicely done BassandBucks!
It is what it is....

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #286 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:49 AM »
conduit works awesome on ice and in snow BUT  don't try goin over a rocky shoreline  they can really dig in. at least that's what my experience was. great when we had a snow base over shoreline but once the rocks started showin, and parkin lot bare. it was brutal. goodluck stay safe.
youngster

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #287 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Thanks, I'll remember that. So, glad I made those runners. Walking was brutal today with water/slush and snow almost to my knee.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #288 on: Feb 16, 2014, 05:11 AM »
Some excellent ideas!

WS

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #289 on: Feb 20, 2014, 02:16 PM »
Okay guys..need some help.
I have an older model Dave Genz Fish Trap. Its awesome. Perfect for my needs. After the rain yesterday, I decided to air/dry it out this morning. Heard a terrible sound when unfolding it. Yup, guess there was some frozen water in a fold causing a three-four inch tear in the canvas. No too big of an issue being it is on the front side, where the window is. And I had some patch material and fabric glue which should do the trick
My question is this: while looking for replacement covers I found an Eskimo brand, cheap, on ebay. Has anyone ever tried to use on of these covers on a Fish Trap?
Thanks in advance..
It is what it is....

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #290 on: Mar 01, 2014, 09:36 AM »
My son just bought a RED ESKIMO WIDE #1.,  Used, most likely 1st Generation. 
I'm impressed with it in comparison to our BLUE CLAM NANOOK.

He's already replaced the pull and added eye bolts & carabiners for usage as a safety rope
Already installed an LED Strip Light
Installed Rod Holders.

ANY OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS OR COMMENTS TO IMPROVE OR UPGRADE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #291 on: Mar 08, 2014, 04:21 PM »
I've been thinking of changing the seating system around on my Fish Trap Scout for awhile. I was never a big fan of the two tubes taking up all that room in the sled. My first fish trap (1993) had a bench style seat that I really liked. I was deciding if I was going to make the bench seat like my original trap which had conduit frame with a plywood (with carpet).  Looking through past post on this site I saw on page 14 that gldnrcher had a better style. It looked like he had just moved the tubes to the outside. It worked great! I like having the bench seat to set rods, etc. on. I attached a few photos, unfortunately the carpet I had on hand wasn't big enough so I had to use two pieces which doesn't look as well. I moved the mesh bag that had been under the seat to the side, I did have to add an extra brace for that.
Thanks gldnrcher for posting that picture on page 14 and 15.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #292 on: Sep 21, 2014, 02:04 AM »
Here is a shelf that I built to fit in my QuickFlip. I made it 7.5" wide so it will hold the sidewall out and stop it from flapping in the wind. It is very sturdy, I can put my full thermos, gloves and spare rod on it and it does not tilt at all. Works better than I expected for such a simple design.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #293 on: Sep 21, 2014, 07:09 AM »
Nice design Frostback! Simple and efficient.
It is what it is....

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #294 on: Sep 25, 2014, 12:29 AM »
Here is how I located my poles....I did not like them rattling around in the sled and on days that I didn't use them they became a hazard when I stepped in the sled and onto the poles as they would roll under your boot.

Another advantage with having them in the rack, I can leave them extended therefore not having to line up the little button with the hole in the dark.

The spring clips are made of steel even though they look plastic in the picture...they should last a long time.

I hope this helps some guys that are annoyed as I was with having them loose in the sled.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #295 on: Sep 25, 2014, 04:48 AM »
I hope this helps some guys that are annoyed as I was with having them loose in the sled.

Clean and awesome! Nice idea!
It is what it is....

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #296 on: Sep 30, 2014, 10:26 AM »
I have also added a couple of swing away rod holders mounted under my seats. I made them somewhat like the Frabill ones.

I used the ends of ATV clutch spring and welded a metal strap onto them so the mount under my seats using existing bolts, very simple design anyone can make.

Here is a few pictures of them, they are painted red and one on each side of my QuickFlip.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #297 on: Sep 30, 2014, 10:35 AM »
I have also added a couple of swing away rod holders mounted under my seats. I made them somewhat like the Frabill ones.

I used the ends of ATV clutch spring and welded a metal strap onto them so the mount under my seats using existing bolts, very simple design anyone can make.

Here is a few pictures of them, they are painted red and one on each side of my QuickFlip.

Nice job on the rod holders ...I have the Frabill ones . That center console ? Is that Eskimo or fabricated ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #298 on: Sep 30, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Nice job on the rod holders ...I have the Frabill ones . That center console ? Is that Eskimo or fabricated ?

Its actually one I bought at Wal*Mart for $15.00 in the automotive section. Its made of poly and has adjustable cup / bait holders and a few other compartments for holding my phone and mini speaker etc. I just screwed it to the existing Eskimo shelf.
I did not like just the Eskimo shelf because there was no sides on it to hold things in place and I could foresee something of value going into the lake, this was my solution, It fit perfectly with no mods needed.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #299 on: Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Thanks FB...I have looked at auto consoles before ...never seen anything that would foot the bill for a similar purpose like yours ...guess it is possible ...I do have the Mags bait shelf and some LED lights ...I should get some pics for others to see ..I did do a seat mod on my Frabill Adventurer also ...but went to a HT sports chair for weight issues .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.