Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 256172 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #240 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:17 PM »
I posted this in your other thread but ill put it here too.

Home Depot, lowes, any hardware store, automotive store, even walmart carry the stuff you need.

One of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202077791/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=fiberglass+resin&storeId=10051#more_info

2 of these: (cloth not mat!!)
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202077813/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=fiberglass+resin&storeId=10051#.UPnXPmfid0U

And your carpet.

Important to remember to, The fumes area neurotoxin. Not good for the brain at all. Be sure you got a well ventilated area.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
« Reply #241 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:21 PM »
@wetline

Couple more quick questions if you dont mind. What did you use to glue the carpet on? I was thinking of a 3m spray adhesive or something like that. Also, where would you recommend I go to buy the fiberglass supplies?
Exactly what I used for the carpet. I got the heavy duty spray in the paint dept. at lowes. I bought resin at Home Depot

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #242 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:58 PM »
What are your guys thoughts on using a high quality felt for the wrap instead of the fiberglass cloth or polyester fleece? I have felt leftover from a high end pool table that the felt was just replaced on. The felt should be pretty absorbant and its free. I could spray adhesive on the box mold to attach the felt then resin coat that. If I go this route, I may just end up painting it instead of carpeting.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #243 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:23 PM »
What are your guys thoughts on using a high quality felt for the wrap instead of the fiberglass cloth or polyester fleece? I have felt leftover from a high end pool table that the felt was just replaced on. The felt should be pretty absorbant and its free. I could spray adhesive on the box mold to attach the felt then resin coat that. If I go this route, I may just end up painting it instead of carpeting.

Yup, id use that if i had it on hand for sure.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #244 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:35 PM »
After some research Im not so sure I wana go the felt or fleece route. Seems like they recommend you still fiberglass cloth over the fleece for added strength. Not saying it wouldnt work, but Im not sure I want to risk the thing cracking when Im dragging it over drifts and bouncing around etc... The fiberglass cloth should eliminate that risk. After having so much time in something, I wana make sure it wont ever break.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #245 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:41 PM »
I have seen those felt boxes take a beating man, but if your more comfortable with the cloth go with that. Should only cost about $15 or so for the amount u need.

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #246 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:32 PM »
I installed the runner kit on my Clam Scout TC.  It leaves 2 rows ofbolts sticking up about 1" all across the length of my tub.  I initially covered these with some foam strips, and then an exercise pad floor, but was wondering if it would be better overall to just cut these bolts off and grind them flush with the top of the nuts.  Suggestions?  Whatever I do, i need to be able to dry out the bottom of the tub, so I am reluctant to get into the customized fiberglass setups and that sort of thing.  Just some simple flooring ideas to cover the nuts/bolts and allow drying of water left behind from snow and ice.  Ideas?

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #247 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:07 AM »
No don't grind them. Grinding makes a lot of heat and it will make the bolt hot thus melting your tub and or runners. Hot bolt could melt right threw the tub. I used shorter bolts so all I have is a cap nut hardly sticking up. Change out your bolts for shorter ones would be the best I would think

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #248 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:10 AM »
I used a Dremel to cut the bolts flush and a grinder to smooth out ant sharp edges and burrs. No melting occurred.

Like this one:

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #249 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:41 PM »
I set out to come up with a solution for an auger mount for my Flip Over.
I wanted something removable so it wouldnt be in my way after i get out on the ice.

Here is my project step by step:

Materails:
5ft length of 2in PVC,
2X 2in Threaded Cap
2X 2in Threaded Flange
PVC Cement
4x Nuts and bolts

First task was to mount the threaded caps to the tub using 2 bolts in each cap:

Next - Cut PVC to size (mine were 13in) and cut notches to hold the auger.

Next - Attach the threaded flange, and cement in.

Add a screw on each side just to ensure it all stays together.

Screw flange into the caps on tub.

Put on auger =)

One out on the ice, just unscrew and place into tub..

As an added bonus, the caps are the perfect size for my spike and meal worm tubs.

While I was at it I cut down a pair of skis i had and installed them as runners.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #250 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Nice work on that auger/bait holder!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #251 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:54 AM »
I set out to come up with a solution for an auger mount for my Flip Over.
I wanted something removable so it wouldnt be in my way after i get out on the ice.

Here is my project step by step:

Materails:
5ft length of 2in PVC,
2X 2in Threaded Cap
2X 2in Threaded Flange
PVC Cement
4x Nuts and bolts

(Image removed from quote.)

First task was to mount the threaded caps to the tub using 2 bolts in each cap:

Next - Cut PVC to size (mine were 13in) and cut notches to hold the auger.

Next - Attach the threaded flange, and cement in.

Add a screw on each side just to ensure it all stays together.

Screw flange into the caps on tub.

Put on auger =)

One out on the ice, just unscrew and place into tub..

As an added bonus, the caps are the perfect size for my spike and meal worm tubs.

While I was at it I cut down a pair of skis i had and installed them as runners.

Hey BaitBucket-Nifty idea's all around. I also considered using PVC to make an auger holder for my Eskimo. Do you have any problems with the shelter "flipping up" on it's tail due to all the extra weight at the back of your sled? Not sure I asked that the way I mean-hope you understand what I am asking.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #252 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:21 AM »
With my sled completely empty as you see in the pic it didnt tip back at all. And my auger is a pig (think it weighs more than me).
Once all my gear is in it, im not worried at all about it tipping back.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #253 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:29 AM »
With my sled completely empty as you see in the pic it didnt tip back at all. And my auger is a pig (think it weighs more than me).
Once all my gear is in it, im not worried at all about it tipping back.

Thanks BaitBucket-I see a visit to my local Home Depot coming soon. Thanks for sharing and thanks for replying to my question!
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #254 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:57 AM »
No problem man, good luck.

Offline Seacat145

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NRA Life Mem- It's only cold if you peak outside!
« Reply #255 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:33 PM »
Baitbucket thanks for sharing. I have one of the original Genz fish traps and the power auger was always a problem. Especially after a sharp edge on the auger gave me my first tear, from that point on it trailed behind me in a kid's plastic sled by itself. One less item to drag.

Offline Fuzzybunny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #256 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:44 PM »
I bought a Clam Scout TC a couple weeks ago.  Modded it today and here is the result.  I used mainly what I had laying around.  Got all my ideas from this thread.   ;D  Tip-ups on the right, jig poles on the left, under the seat tackle/acc. storage, behind the seat more storage.  Heater and bait bucket ride on the deck.  Auger holder, cup holder and removable jig rod holder.  Doesn't add a ton of weight, can still lift it easily and slid it in the back of my car.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #257 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:15 AM »
I bought a Clam Scout TC a couple weeks ago.  Modded it today and here is the result.  I used mainly what I had laying around.  Got all my ideas from this thread.   ;D  Tip-ups on the right, jig poles on the left, under the seat tackle/acc. storage, behind the seat more storage.  Heater and bait bucket ride on the deck.  Auger holder, cup holder and removable jig rod holder.  Doesn't add a ton of weight, can still lift it easily and slid it in the back of my car.

Pretty Zoot looking @)  Give me some ideas of what to do with my Scout at the end of the season. Thanks for sharing! :bow:

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #258 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Well Done man!!

Glad that auger mount worked for you.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #259 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:29 AM »
Well Done man!!

Glad that auger mount worked for you.

Hey Baitbucket-How did you determine the length of your AWESOME auger holder. I figure I can always curt it shorter easier than I can add to it. You should think about patenting your idea  and selling them on eBay. I saw some mods on this site for a "cooking unit/tray" that attaches to a  Mr. Heater.  Guess where I saw basically the same thing being sold???? You won't see me stealing your idea and trying to make money off of it, but someone else with no, scruples might try.  You deserve the credit as well as any compensation involved.
Sorry, I see something I think is wrong and I have to vent. Your idea will be saving me and a lot of other fisherman a lot of headaches. Just hope you benefit from sharing your idea, financially or otherwise.   :tipup:

Offline Fuzzybunny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #260 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:43 AM »
Today I added a 12v system to power lights (eventually) and my strike sensors.  After my first trip out with them, they didn't trigger the pager at 50yds. Hoping the 12v running the pager will give me at least 50 yds reliably.  Going to add those flexible LED's in a couple weeks.  ;D

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #261 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:32 AM »
I use a 3' long bungee cord and hung it off the center pole of the Yukon. Opened the bottom hook and it's the perfect rod holder. D

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #262 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:49 AM »
I use a 3' long bungee cord and hung it off the center pole of the Yukon. Opened the bottom hook and it's the perfect rod holder. D

Hmmm. Sounds interesting, might have to try that in my flip-over  :tipup:

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #263 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:04 AM »
Hey Baitbucket-How did you determine the length of your AWESOME auger holder. I figure I can always curt it shorter easier than I can add to it.

I guess my other posts got deleted for their pics? Not sure

To find your height you will need to do some trial and error.
Start with a length you know is to long, cut your notches and put the threaded coupler on. Then screw it into the threaded caps attached to the sled.
Now place your auger on and see what you have for clearance. The poles and or their mounting bracket will be your limiting factor.
Just keep cutting them down till they barely clear the poles or bracket.

Also, on the holder for the blade end of the auger, i drilled a hole on each side of the notches to hook a bungee to. To wrap around the end of the auger and hold it down.
If you get into bumpy terrain that can pop out with nothing holding it in.
Gravity has worked fine for the side holding the head of the auger.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:46 AM »
I guess my other posts got deleted for their pics? Not sure

To find your height you will need to do some trial and error.
Start with a length you know is to long, cut your notches and put the threaded coupler on. Then scree it into the threaded caps attached to the sled.
Now place your auger on and see what you have for clearance. The poles and or their mounting bracket will be your limiting factor.
Just keep cutting them down till they barely clear the poles or bracket.

Also, on the holder for the blade end of the auger, i drilled a hole on each side of the notches to hook a bungee to. To wrap around the end of the auger and hold it down.
If you get into bumpy terrain that can pop out with nothing holding it in.
Gravity has worked fine for the side holding the head of the auger.

Once again, THANK YOU SIR! I couldn't find threaded caps, but I found some threaded adapters (I guess that is what they are called?!)).  I just cut a short piece of PVC and glued it in between the end cap and threaded adapter. Anyway, I  glued it up last night and will go out in the garage after lunch and finish putting everything together. I test fit everything last night and it worked PERECT! I now have a 6 pack of Bud's with your name on them setting in my fridge. Stop by and we can swap fishing lies and get snockered. Always makes the little lady real happy ::)

Offline Fuzzybunny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #265 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:03 PM »
I got my LED strip today and it split in the middle when installing it.   >:(  So only half lights up.  Going to have to work for the friday morning walleye hunt.   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:  Should be sweet though when the new ones in.  Think i'm going to want more though. 

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #266 on: Jun 16, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Just bought the Clam Big Mouth, and i am pumped and ready to modify. Thanks to the idea from someone on here i will be attempting to build a fiberglass deck with footprints and storage compartments. Will post progress pics.
Will be using a very stiff form of cardboard for the pattern.
The compartment on the right will be rod storage. Will be installing a hinged door.
Pretty much finished with this project. Still need to come up with a good way to secure Hand or Power auger.

Nice will be snagging a few of your ideas.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #267 on: Jun 16, 2013, 11:37 PM »
Looks awesome. 

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #268 on: Oct 28, 2013, 05:18 PM »
Hey all.. I know this thread has been dormant for sometime but I had to post... Picked up an older Dave Genz Fish Trap off CL today.I paid $50. Came complete with carpeted bench seat and two spreader poles.. One short and a longer two piece. Looking for pictures from the original manuals or info from anyone on how to use these. I think I'm gonna keep it fairly stock. I may go with a padded stadium seat. It's an oldie and uses a spring loaded clip to secure it to a bleacher.. Similar to the carpeted seat in the Fish Trap. I also will be using a modified Snap On drop light that I found. I use a 9v battery and placed the guts in a water bottle. Throws off a ton of light.

NOW WHERES THE ICE!
It is what it is....

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #269 on: Nov 05, 2013, 05:56 PM »
here is a shot of the atv gun rack i made into an auger rack for my frabill comando max

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.