Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 256277 times)

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #180 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:58 PM »

No ice here so I made a Shelf also :thumbsup: So far I really like it

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #181 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:57 PM »
i may have to build a few of those out of some pine my dads got in the scrap bin for my frabill!! nice looking shelves helps when not alot of room.
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Feb 08, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Fiberglass center console

Link to the DIY:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=209866.0

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #183 on: Feb 09, 2012, 04:14 PM »
ericzerka24 - Love the center console; where did you get it?  :thumbsup:

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #184 on: Feb 09, 2012, 04:26 PM »
ericzerka24 - Love the center console; where did you get it?  :thumbsup:

Click on his thread -you'll see how he made it himself out of CARDBOARD and FIBERGLASS!  Very clever and an excellent job Eric!  I might copy the design and make it out of 1/8" Luann - I can work with wood tools, but have never tried fiberglass.

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #185 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:00 AM »
Yup that was my first time with fiberglass. Other than the mess and stink, it's pretty simple to work with. There's no right or wrong way to go about it, you just keep adding layers of resin and cloth until you are satisfied with the strength.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Feb 11, 2012, 02:34 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

No ice here so I made a Shelf also :thumbsup: So far I really like it

What are you using to hold this up? 

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #187 on: Feb 11, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Fiberglass center console

Link to the DIY:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=209866.0

When I first looked I thought you might have modified a subwofer?  I see you made it nice work.  I think my buddy has an old wofer around.  I am take a look at it and see if i can gut it out and make something like this. 

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Feb 11, 2012, 03:09 PM »
What are you using to hold this up?

I'm pretty sure it just wedges between the poles and sits there. There was another post where the guy used duct tape wrapped around the poles to keep it level, though.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #189 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure it just wedges between the poles and sits there. There was another post where the guy used duct tape wrapped around the poles to keep it level, though.

Yes the back end has to be held up by something! Take a chunk out and measure where you want it. ( I used a 3\4" x 6" pine.) The end toward you is drilled on a 45 or so, that way it goes with my hoop angle. Other end is straight drill. I went in a inch or so,drilled both ends then cut out the notch with a jig saw. I marked where level was on the other end,wrapped some black elec. tape on the hoop then a few rounds of wire to build it up, then more tape to seal it and it will hold quite a lot of weight. You could use a zip tie also, put the cut end in so there wont be any problems with the cover, and tape it up. the 45 end stays because its wedged in,cant drop down. A little stain and exterior poly and its good to go. I used it yesterday for the 1st. time and it worked great until the wind came up. It made the hut shake in turn slowly everything started to fall off the shelf. If you build one,  rout a pocket in it or add a small strip of wood all around it so stuff wont fall off. I plan on a strip of pine 1|2 X 1|2 to make a lip,adding it this week. Other than that its simple and VERY usefull for all kinds of things. Bait, small radio, phone etc... Have fun with it! Got a lot of room? make 2 on top of each other!  ;D

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:56 AM »
When I first looked I thought you might have modified a subwofer?  I see you made it nice work.  I think my buddy has an old wofer around.  I am take a look at it and see if i can gut it out and make something like this.

The only problem with speaker boxes is that most of them are made with plywood which makes them pretty heavy. If you wanna use wood I would go with something lighter like pine.

Offline nurmimn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #191 on: Mar 02, 2012, 12:55 AM »
Today I took lights that they use in the thermal pro and mounted them in my scout. I also took 2 battery brackets and mounted them in the sled.  Only mounted 2 out of the three as I have some rope LED lights that I am going to zip tie in there.

I took an otter rod holder and mounted it on the side with the most room.

Touching of the positive and negitive wires makes a hot mess.  ::)

Going to put some rope led lights in there that are powered by AA batteries.

I also finally got around to mounting 2 otter rod holders in my otter thermal lodge.

Offline Rukus3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #192 on: Aug 23, 2012, 05:30 PM »
I read through all of this thread and deiced my plain kenia needed some help.  I made ski runners for the snow, hope they hold up well.  I also came across a intresting idea.  I had this winshield sun reflector deal sitting around and I thought hey that looks like the reflectix stuff I saw.  It had creases so it would fold up nicely.  I installed it on one side and will fold it up while not in use.  You guys think that this will work kind of like the real deal?

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #193 on: Aug 23, 2012, 07:18 PM »
It needs to be wider by the looks of photo, but it should help i would think. Tape 2 together then trim them to fit.  Like the skis!

Offline Caseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #194 on: Sep 21, 2012, 10:52 AM »
Hey guys great thread.  I have a few more things on my check list that I would like to have done yet.  but I can cross mounting my auger to my scout off.

I used part of a closet bracket and part of a hose bracket.   I think it turned out pretty good and it was cheap.

I have more pics if anybody is intrested.

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
« Reply #195 on: Oct 29, 2012, 06:24 AM »
I installed my camera holder on my rod mount It's removable and also a mini table

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Nov 07, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Need a tow bar idea so I can pull my new clam one man bigmouth behind my wheeler. I don't wanna drop $60 on a tow bar from clam. Thanks guys!!

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #197 on: Nov 08, 2012, 08:23 AM »
A sturdy rope threaded thru two sections of heavy ABS plastic pipe on each side and a loop to hook up to your ATV or sled is cheap, easy, and lightweight.   You could also bend electrical conduit into a V shape and hook up that way too. 

Look through all the pages on this thread, I'm sure you'll find something you can do.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #198 on: Nov 09, 2012, 10:04 AM »
Wanting to downsize from my 2 man Yukon, I recently purchased a used Scout.  The tub is in very good condition with no damage and has plastic runners already installed along with a couple of 3 led lights.  A few mods were made including fixing the lights from free hanging to somewhat permanent connections to the pole.  Since theres not much room for gear, I afixed the Vex via a wooden bracket to the right corner of the tube, using velcro and the bracket to hold the battery in place.  I gouged out the wood to hold a piece of pvc which I glued in place for the transducer.  I also made one of those shelves that sit between the poles and will add another soon.  I placed the heater along side the seat rails and will hold it in place while moving with velcro (luv that stuff ;D)  I attaced my Yukon hitch to the front, added some downhill skies and now, like everyone here, wait impatiently for winter.  Heres some pics.

The vex in the corner

The led lights.

Something I didn't mention in the post but you can see the battery for the lights sitting in a container fixed to the sled with what else.....velcro.

The shelf that needs to be painted.

Heater velcroed.

C'mon on ice!

I'll be pulling with this.  An oldie but a goodie.  Working on a McGiver auger rack and will post a pic when done.

You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #199 on: Dec 02, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Otto: What did you use for holding the shelf up... hose clamps, tape, some sort of ring?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #200 on: Dec 08, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Hey Caseman-Kool mods to your sled! Do you have some more pic's or info concerning the camera mount set up? I really like the rod holder idea to support your camera. How exactly is the camera attached to the holder, and how is the whole set-up  attached to your shack. And the auger carrier? The powerhead end I figured out, neat use of a curtain rod bracket.  I am not quite as clear understanding what kind of bracket you have holding the bottom section of the auger.  And finally, what the heck kind of auger is that? Looks very Zoot! Thanks for your input-TrikerJohn :tipup:

I am mechanically inclined-I can screw up anything.... ???
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #201 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Otto: What did you use for holding the shelf up... hose clamps, tape, some sort of ring?

John,
That wasn't my post on the shelf....but it looks like a clamp of some sort.  Maybe a hose clamp?
Otto

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:38 PM »
!

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:35 AM »
Can anybody post dimensions (actually, just length) for the wooden shelf that goes between the support poles on a Clam Scout TC?  I wanted to build one but my flip-over is up at my cottage waiting for ice, so I cannot make the measurements myself.  Ideally, the shelf would sit somewhere between elbow and shoulder level when seated in the Clam.
Thanks.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #204 on: Dec 21, 2012, 06:48 AM »
in my scout I made mine 17" long. Hope this helps

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #205 on: Dec 30, 2012, 04:29 PM »
in my scout I made mine 17" long. Hope this helps

$,
That is a nice shelf.  I will be making one for my Otter Cabin.

Thanks. :)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
« Reply #206 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Just bought the Clam Big Mouth, and i am pumped and ready to modify. Thanks to the idea from someone on here i will be attempting to build a fiberglass deck with footprints and storage compartments. Will post progress pics.
Will be using a very stiff form of cardboard for the pattern.

The compartment on the right will be rod storage. Will be installing a hinged door.

Pretty much finished with this project. Still need to come up with a good way to secure Hand or Power auger.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #207 on: Jan 06, 2013, 01:54 PM »
U could raise it up a few inches to gain some more space.
Im using milk crates to modify mine, and they are a good 3-4inches taller than the tub edges.

Notched to rods fit flush with top.

In the clam trapper.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
« Reply #208 on: Jan 06, 2013, 03:31 PM »
That's pretty slick, but I'm really being careful about the weight of the shanty. Nice idea.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #209 on: Jan 06, 2013, 06:10 PM »
Me to, i wasnt sure if fiberglass would be lighter than the milk crates.
The total weight of the 4 crates with the lids is exactly 12lbs.

That brings my total sled weight (empty) to 43lbs with the crates in it.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.