Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 256156 times)

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #150 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:13 AM »
My Gander edition scout has a pole that goes from the sled to the first hoop in the rear.  I would like to make 1 or 2 more that goes to the other 2 hoops over my head to help keep the fabric from sagging on me (im 6'5").  Where can i buy these poles or what's the best way to make them??

What i did was go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill store and buy the cheapest aluminum walker I could find.  I tore it apart to get the button springs in the legs that allow you to adjust the length of the legs.  I then found some thin wall aluminum that was about 10 feet long and cut pieces to the right length, then drilled holes so the buttons would work.  For the ends I bought some pvc pipe t's in one inch size and hack sawed enough out of the top of the T piece so it would slip over the trap's poles.  I used bolts to attach the pvc the the aluminum.

If the walker's aluminum legs are long enough you could skip the thin walled aluminum and use them instead.  If they are not long enough and you have a buddy who can weld aluminum you could weld a couple of the walker legs together for a longer piece.

I don't know if they carry the spring buttons at Ace Hardware or Lowes but you could check there if you didn't want to bother with a walker.  I only paid a couple of dollars for the whole walker so I doubt if the spring buttons alone could be any cheaper.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #151 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Can you post a closeup pic of the connection to the sled? Thanks

here you go. They have to be straight up and dodn so pipes wont bind. let us know how you make out

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #152 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:18 PM »
Still searching but I remember a tip about running LED wiring through the support poles. This is something I've been wanting to do so the wiring is out of the way and I can mount the battery to a small shelf in my Guide. Already removed one seat and moved the other over a bit. Since nobody ever wants to fish with me, I couldn't see having two seats. Liked the idea of relocating the back seat support bracket to the middle of the tub to allow longer items to lay flat behind the seat.

all I did is run them up and drill a hole on the INSIDE of your hoop. I used black electric tape to hold the wires in each hoop to the pipe. There is no where for the wires to bind, rub etc. This is my 3 ed. year on the LED lights with no problem at all. Just wish we had some ice to run them again!

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #153 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:30 PM »
$ignmoney

i saw the pic of your shack and was wondering how you mounted the auger on the frnt do you have any closer pics of the mount or can you tell me what you did please thanks, i just got the clam kenai and want to do something similar

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #154 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:49 PM »
$ignmoney

i saw the pic of your shack and was wondering how you mounted the auger on the frnt do you have any closer pics of the mount or can you tell me what you did please thanks, i just got the clam kenai and want to do something similar

look to the left and you can see it. I took a peice of 1" flat stock and bent a loop in it. painted it and wraped black electric tape where the auger sits so auger doesnt get scrached up. ( I buy black electric tape by the 10 pack!  love that stuff!) drill 2 holes in it and mount it with 3\16 bolts 1 side make the loop larger to fit auger vaines. Thats the only photo I have for now. Still got the hut in storage- no reason to get it out YET...

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #155 on: Dec 23, 2011, 03:23 PM »
My Gander edition scout has a pole that goes from the sled to the first hoop in the rear.  I would like to make 1 or 2 more that goes to the other 2 hoops over my head to help keep the fabric from sagging on me (im 6'5").  Where can i buy these poles or what's the best way to make them??

willie, Shappell and clam sell replacement pole clips that you can slip into the ends of a piece of 1/2 conduit and make support poles.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline flounderhead59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #156 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:08 PM »

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #157 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:43 AM »
... Didn't like the bowl "springy-affect" on my Clam Nanook.  Picked up some Hyfax Runners that were actually for an Eskimo Brand shanty., installed them between the 2 wide flat runners..

Result: More stable floor & tub., Less wear & tear

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9347/clamnanookrunners1002.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9537/clamnanookrunners1001.jpg

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #158 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:28 PM »
... Didn't like the bowl "springy-affect" on my Clam Nanook.  Picked up some Hyfax Runners that were actually for an Eskimo Brand shanty., installed them between the 2 wide flat runners..

Result: More stable floor & tub., Less wear & tear

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9347/clamnanookrunners1002.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9537/clamnanookrunners1001.jpg

Where did you get the wide flat runners???????

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #159 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:34 PM »
Ordered them from a local plastics manufacturing company Universal Plastics., Cost was $12 each
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Ordered them from a local plastics manufacturing company Universal Plastics., Cost was $12 each

I'm interested in getting these myself.  I hate the bowl!  Do you have the phone number for this place?  What exactly do I tell them I want? (Part #) 

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:28 AM »
Good Runners

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #162 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Universal Plastics & Machine
7661 Freedom Ave.
Canton, Ohio 44720
Phone:330-433-2860
Fax:330-433-2867
Email:Plastics@UPLInternational

I ordered 2pcs: 3"x60"x 3/16" at a cost of $12 each (Picked up at factory)

The Middle 3 Runners were Eskimo Brand Runners (Approx 1"x60"x1 1/4"}
I purchased them from

Contact Info:    
Marks Live Bait and Tackle
330-296-3474
Ravenna, OH. 44266

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #163 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:34 AM »
I'm interested in getting these myself.  I hate the bowl!  Do you have the phone number for this place?  What exactly do I tell them I want? (Part #)

Otter Outdoors sells some hyfax runners for sleds too.

http://eelement.appolis.com/OTTEROUTDOORS/eproddetail.asp?S=67&P=5050&PubID=4393&V=7&PID=7329&iss=
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #164 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:59 AM »
Any suggestions, tips, pix or comments for a making a pair of TAIL GATE RAMPS to load & unload my portable shanty?

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:23 AM »
Any suggestions, tips, pix or comments for a making a pair of TAIL GATE RAMPS to load & unload my portable shanty?

2x4 ramp kit like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-05674-Ramp-Kit-Hardware/dp/B0000AVZMF

They make them for 2x6 or 2x8 as well. Probably have them at Home Depot or places like that as well.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #167 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Nice ramp.nice and simple.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Booppr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Has anyone tried to put a camp lounge chair in a trap style shelter??? If I'm not mistaken, they might make a folding style that would be perfect if you figure out how to mount it

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #169 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:46 AM »
It works, dont bother mounting it.  Have front legs out of the tub.  The lounge chairs without arms work best.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #170 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:51 AM »
Flounder that sucks. My poles dont retract at all, they just flip over. That is part of your problem. Black tape'em should work for you. Once you get them in and working you'll wonder how you did it with out them. I added a small LED fog lights to my tub the other day, makes it a lot nicer to see when coming off late at night. (I dont do the lantern thing anymore) Good luck to ya!

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #171 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Here is my new Scout TC. Setting up high on the skis, makes for a comfy set in warm weather, when you don't need to enclose yourself in the trap. It easily removes from the smitty sled setup. This is called a Side Baiter. It slides between the poles in your flip-up, and holds your drink, pole, bait pucks etc. The rubber securing straps they provide are junk, BUT, you don't need them any way. Duct tape placed on the poles, makes them rock solid and MUCH easier then using those junk rubber straps. I have one on my left side and one on my right. These are PERFECT for my Clam Scout TC. Thought I would share.

Duct tape wrapped around the pole, so the U shape of the Side Baiter receiver fits in snug. Then a thicker wrap below the 1st duct tape wrap, so the Side Baiter can't slide down the pole.

One of the bucket style rod holders will work nicely in the tray too.

https://redrockstore.com/Catalog/index.php?crn=185&rn=2949&action=show_detail

Sitting on mine while it is on skis

Tip for easy loading/unloading..use your skis from your smitty sled

I used my skis as a ramp to easily unload/load my Scout.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #172 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:57 AM »
Nice idea ASATMillerbluegill. I will have to keep my eye out for them or make a set out of wood. Its like a coffee table, good place to put your bait container on so it dont get dumped so eazy. thanks for sharing!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:11 PM »
ASATMillerbluegill,
Is that a coffee container in the 5 gallon bucket ??   What is it for ?  I'm alway's open to new ideas  lol

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #174 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:31 PM »
ASATMillerbluegill:
Nice pics.. I like the Side Baiter... thanks for sharing that new idea.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #175 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:53 PM »
ASATMillerbluegill,
Is that a coffee container in the 5 gallon bucket ??   What is it for ?  I'm alway's open to new ideas  lol
A cheap DIY lantern case.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=212120.msg2100784#msg2100784

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #176 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:54 PM »
Thanks guys. Some good stuff in this thread for sure.

Offline ilarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Feb 04, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Asatmillerbluegill,,,,I saw the tray looking things on another one of your post. I thought I could make something similar. Here is what I have come up with. I also made up something to store my poles in. There are many great ideas that I will be doing in addition. But here is my add ons.

Outdoor nut. Love to hunt, fish, camp.

Offline ilarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Here is a better pic of my pole storage.
Outdoor nut. Love to hunt, fish, camp.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #179 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:01 PM »
Very cool ilarcher. Nice setup..u will enjoy those consoles. I really like mine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.