Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 256375 times)

Offline bobuph

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #120 on: Jan 01, 2011, 03:33 PM »
wetlines,ilove all your inovations.what are your rod holders or made from? thanks

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #121 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Wetline I took your idea and changed it a bit. I made a box and took out the sliding seat base that came with my scout. Under the box is my boat battery and small storage area.Added another strip of LED lights to light up my newly found space.I kept the seat mount so I can yank it off any time to loose weight or to get in the back. Wow I cant believe the space you end up with. Now I need more stuff  ;D My son has a Recon and he wanted to do the same so his, its in the final stages.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #122 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Hey guys, Clam is running a "Trick your Shack" contest.  Some of these mods are winners for sure! 
There is a link on the homepage of Iceshanty.

Offline kemp14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:14 PM »
Here is some storage units I made for my fish Trap. Made them out of tin to keep the weight down. They are pretty handy. Got one for my Rods and one for my tackle boxes and extra stuff.

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:16 PM »
who makes this?

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #125 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:45 PM »
Just got my first Fish Trap and spent the night putting it together.  It's a Kodiak and tomorrow I will be adding eye bolts and new rope.  Also quite sure I'll put a bigger boat seat in it.  It looks like a lot of the sleds on this thread have metal where folks are installing the rod holders.  Nothing but the plastic sled on the Kodiak.  Would you still drill into it or should I come up with something different?
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:11 AM »
Just got my first Fish Trap and spent the night putting it together.  It's a Kodiak and tomorrow I will be adding eye bolts and new rope.  Also quite sure I'll put a bigger boat seat in it.  It looks like a lot of the sleds on this thread have metal where folks are installing the rod holders.  Nothing but the plastic sled on the Kodiak.  Would you still drill into it or should I come up with something different?

I am not familiar with the Kodiak, but if it is all plastic, I would add some sort of backer to where ever you drill and screw into.  Either a small block of wood, plastic or a metal brace of some sort.  You could also use plastic tubing as a rod holder and zip tie it to the plastic.  Should be strong enough to hold it.

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Jan 15, 2011, 11:11 AM »
i am definetly doing the rod holder mount to my scout. thanks for the tips

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
« Reply #128 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Wetline I took your idea and changed it a bit. I made a box and took out the sliding seat base that came with my scout. Under the box is my boat battery and small storage area.Added another strip of LED lights to light up my newly found space.I kept the seat mount so I can yank it off any time to loose weight or to get in the back. Wow I cant believe the space you end up with. Now I need more stuff  ;D My son has a Recon and he wanted to do the same so his, its in the final stages.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
That's pretty sweet. I wanted to make a box out of diamond plated aluminum, but to costly.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #129 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:12 AM »

needed a seat with a back on it and rod holders for trans port 2 on each side they are golf tubes with snap ties room for 2 more this is a Kenai did pretty much the same with my X2

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Aug 15, 2011, 10:34 PM »
just got a fishtrap pro and looking to do some mods got alot of great ideas on here anyone got any new mods im ganna take a shot at posting my new mods will be fist attempt at posting pics though so bear with me
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Aug 16, 2011, 10:44 PM »
just got a fishtrap pro and looking to do some mods got alot of great ideas on here anyone got any new mods im ganna take a shot at posting my new mods will be fist attempt at posting pics though so bear with me
well I started my shopping list got a bunch of supplies still have to get wood for deck and carpet I got a bunch pvc and rod holders gatta get wireing switches control panel lights and reflectix I am so excited to start now just gatta make time
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline Iceangler247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Aug 23, 2011, 12:50 PM »
Does anyone have a auger mount that still allows you to use the travel cover??
FLCC Fisheries Tech.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #133 on: Aug 24, 2011, 08:11 AM »

For the hand auger a couple of bungies work fine, on the sled or pulling Fish Trap Pro.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #134 on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:51 PM »
 Bart thats what i use for the hand screw to ,good ol bungies

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Nov 05, 2011, 04:48 AM »
Finally have the skis on. This idea was so i could lower the sled without having to remove the skis. Just pull the detent pin and lower each side. Seems to work well. I might have to trade the 1/2 conduit for something heavier.
(Image removed from quote.)

This looks awesome.
But I am concerned about the weight of a gear-loaded sled making the walls of the sled bow out. Any issues with that?
jbird68

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #136 on: Nov 07, 2011, 10:25 PM »
Made a few mods to my Fish Trap Guide

Added tackle box storage under the seat slide
 Attached two 4" PVC pipes to hold spare 1 pound LP tanks
 Attached the bottom portion of a 5 gallon pail along with a strap to hold the vex in place

Modified the brackets for the tow bar so it flips up on top of the shack, I hate laying on the ice to hook up the tow bar

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Nov 14, 2011, 01:59 PM »
gillfisher...great idea on the tow bar...what did you use to make it?   thanks

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #138 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:09 PM »
I used 1" x 1/4" aluminum flat bar, I just stacked the pieces to get my gaps for the pivot points and bolted it together with 1/4" bolts and nylock nuts.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:26 AM »
A lot of good tips on here. Making me get the itch to upgrade my clam jr.

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #140 on: Dec 02, 2011, 11:37 PM »
I have a kenei and love it

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #141 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:01 AM »

Nope, will not fit, they make them so snug I cant even get it started. I'm taken her in next week to a local canvas shop to see about a quote to make a custom cover. I hope its not to costly

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Dec 07, 2011, 11:23 AM »
Does someone have a link for the door mod?  I saw someone say there was a mod for it, but i cannot find it through search.

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #143 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:32 AM »
ATTENTION Kenai owners......help wanted

Just purchased the Kenai so I don't have to pull the big Yukon whenever i go alone.  My question involves the rubber strip that secures the tent to the sled.  On the Yukon it was a V strip that snapped into the edge of the sled before screwing into place.  The Kenai is just a 2 sided rubber strip.  1 side is flat and the other side has 2 ribs on it.  Which side faces out and which side faces against the fabric/sled?  Don't want to put the screws in until I know it is correct and there is nothing in the instructions stating which to do.  Any help is appreciated!!

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #144 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:15 AM »

Just purchased the Kenai so I don't have to pull the big Yukon whenever i go alone.  My question involves the rubber strip that secures the tent to the sled.  On the Yukon it was a V strip that snapped into the edge of the sled before screwing into place.  The Kenai is just a 2 sided rubber strip.  1 side is flat and the other side has 2 ribs on it.  Which side faces out and which side faces against the fabric/sled?  Don't want to put the screws in until I know it is correct and there is nothing in the instructions stating which to do.  Any help is appreciated!!

I have a Yukon and a ProTC and I believe the side with the ribs faces the fabric....that should help grip it and hold it in place.  Somewhere on this thread (or another on IceShanty) there is a suggestion NOT to use the screws and rubber strips, but to use heavy duty office binder clips to hold it in place.  This would allow you to remove the cover easily for storage away from mice.

Offline Slimdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:41 PM »

If you zoom in on the picture in the PDF of the owners manual available on Clam's web site, it look like the ribs face out.  My guess is the screw heads fit in between the ribs so they don't catch on anything. 

I'm picking up my Kenai this weekend.  Not sure if I'm gonna use the screws or the binder clip method that Otto mentioned.  Decisions, decisions...

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #146 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Nope, will not fit, they make them so snug I cant even get it started. I'm taken her in next week to a local canvas shop to see about a quote to make a custom cover. I hope its not to costly

$signmoney, what are the bases that attach the uprights to the skis and where did you get them??
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #147 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:26 AM »
I made them from stainless steel. A coupling cut in half, welded to a flat bar. 1\2" pipe screws into that. You could use a pipe flange fromlocal hardware store. I went with 1\2" pipe and it works good,handles the weight OK.( I take a lot of stuff including boat battery) It can be a bear getting the skies on (jacked up) at the lake when loaded by my self. 2 people its no problem. Sure pulls nice once up tho. Not much snow you need to be carefull, Sled will run you over on a small slope!

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #148 on: Dec 20, 2011, 09:42 AM »
I made them from stainless steel. A coupling cut in half, welded to a flat bar. 1\2" pipe screws into that. You could use a pipe flange fromlocal hardware store. I went with 1\2" pipe and it works good,handles the weight OK.( I take a lot of stuff including boat battery) It can be a bear getting the skies on (jacked up) at the lake when loaded by my self. 2 people its no problem. Sure pulls nice once up tho. Not much snow you need to be carefull, Sled will run you over on a small slope!

Can you post a closeup pic of the connection to the sled? Thanks
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:16 PM »
My Gander edition scout has a pole that goes from the sled to the first hoop in the rear.  I would like to make 1 or 2 more that goes to the other 2 hoops over my head to help keep the fabric from sagging on me (im 6'5").  Where can i buy these poles or what's the best way to make them??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.