Author Topic: Trailer mounted hardside Skirt ideas  (Read 1366 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Trailer mounted hardside Skirt ideas
« on: Nov 22, 2018, 07:44 PM »
I have a 12x8 hardside built on an alum snowmobile trailer. It sits about 14 inches off the ground, which is fine except when there is wind. I take it off the ice after each trip and travel to several lakes, spending 2-4 nights in it at a time.
I am looking for ideas of how to skirt it in a way that I can still tow it down the interstate at 65, and not add a huge amount of weight, and also limit setup time. Snow is not an option as it’s not consistently there, and makes moving it a pain when it’s time to leave.
Picture below gives idea of what I’m working with, but it’s since been finished, painted and used for a full season.

Offline offshoredrilling

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Trailer mounted hardside Skirt ideas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:52 PM »
How about using snaps and sew something up out of sunbrella fabric that will come on and off easily. Make the bottom of the skirt weighted so you don't need to pile snow on it to keep it down.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:56 AM »
how about metal roofing panels, keep them inside while you're traveling, hang them off the trailer when fishing, then throw them back in the shanty for the ride home.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Add hinges to the sides of the trailer(along the aluminum edge), add 1/4 or 3/8 ply that can fold down to the ice, fold up when traveling.   In addition, if you leave an inch or two clearance between the ice and plywood, you can add some fabric to seal out the wind.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2018, 11:16 PM »
How about using snaps and sew something up out of sunbrella fabric that will come on and off easily. Make the bottom of the skirt weighted so you don't need to pile snow on it to keep it down.

X2 IMO
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:49 AM »
I’ve thought about this for mine but decided I didn’t need it since it’s spray foamed underneath the floor stays warm. I also have hole sleeves, however I seen somewhere they now have insulated hole sleeves. With this set up no skirt required.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Cheap blue tarp cut to size and velcro.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Rubber roofing material with pre-punched metal strip made for rubber roof. Use the metal strip with screws to hold rubber in place. The metal strip has ribs on the backside to bite and hold rubber in place. Very durable material.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline offshoredrilling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I’ve thought about this for mine but decided I didn’t need it since it’s spray foamed underneath the floor stays warm. I also have hole sleeves, however I seen somewhere they now have insulated hole sleeves. With this set up no skirt required.

I like this idea too. Its easy enough to insulate them yourself. Buy some adhesive backed EPDM foam sheet and get to it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.