Author Topic: Getting Older and Wiser  (Read 1015 times)

Offline wlatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
Getting Older and Wiser
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:16 PM »
Back when I was a young pup( that would of been 50 yrs. ago) we went out on 1 1/2 - 2" of ice. You would soon be standing in a puddle. Now at 74 I still have the passion but demand at least 3" . Older doesn't get you much but it does give you wisdom. He safe out there and I might see you on the ice.

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Getting Older and Wiser
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Back when I was a young pup( that would of been 50 yrs. ago) we went out on 1 1/2 - 2" of ice. You would soon be standing in a puddle. Now at 74 I still have the passion but demand at least 3" . Older doesn't get you much but it does give you wisdom. He safe out there and I might see you on the ice.
while not 74, agreed, been on the ice when someone walking by would surround me with water.... still love to fish just as much, but now find myself willing to wait til ice is a bit safer.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:23 PM »
after you take a dunk, you learn the hard way.

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:10 AM »
I hear ya, I once had a circle of water 30' wide on top before I used better discretion and got the hell out of there. I've been thru a couple times and now I need at least 3"

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:13 AM »
I'm not even that old but like 3 inches..ha. things changed more when I had a kid. I also try not to fill my waders in rip roaring rivers over winter steelhead anymore.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Dogonecrazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2017, 05:39 AM »
I was more than surprised by the number of people out fishing on the sketchy ice with no float suits.  Some of those folks most not of been wet yet! Lol
after you take a dunk, you learn the hard way.
Fish On

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.