The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gas Auger  (Read 6077 times)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gas Auger
« Reply #30 on: Oct 27, 2017, 07:14 AM »
If my 18v NiCad cells fall below recognizable volts to the charger, I tap my battery terminals with 36v, giving them a surface charge that can be seen by the charger and SOMETIMES they will come back to life after a few cycles.  I would not try that with lithium or lifepo4 batteries though, if a cell goes above 3.7v it can burst! That is why lithium batteries fail a lot of the times, it is a safety feature in the charger.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Oct 27, 2017, 02:21 PM »
My big concern with the larger Lithium batteries is the problems they're having with them bursting and catching on fire in other products such as lap tops and the hover boards.  I know this isn't a problem with the "smaller" batteries but I'm leery to taking chances with the "bigger" ones.

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 08, 2017, 11:59 PM »
I run an older jiffy with the tecumseh motors still. Louder than ever, and never seems to scary fish.  I’ve drilled a hole dropped through the slush two pumps and boom a slab.  I’m planning on retiring it though this year, and getting a jiffy 4g model 41.  Thought about the electric augers or a propane.  But just feel like if something were to ever go wrong and I can’t figure it out there’s more people who can fix a gas engine than an electric or propane.

Offline ems12-2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 10, 2017, 04:08 PM »
Thanks Jason1817 for bringing this topic up. I have a Eskimo Lazar hand auger which I love, but I am thinking about some type of power auger.( I'm not as young as I used to be). I do however like the fact that the hand auger it very light and up to about 8" of ice takes very little effort. I am finding these comment helpful as well, weight and ease of use are very important, I don't want to be yanking a pull cord when I should be yanking a tip up  line to set the hook.

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 10, 2017, 05:18 PM »
Based on recommendation, I ended up ordering up the lazer pro 3hp 8 inch. Thanks you 

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Excellent.  Please remember to give us a report after you use it!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 10, 2017, 07:16 PM »
Absolutely I am thinking about breaking it in, in my garage this weekend.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #37 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Ran a Lazer Mag 3000 for years, two seasons ago I was in my flip over and heard an auger running and I had never heard that quiet of an auger before. It was a Jiffey pro 4 . the guy let me drill a couple of holes really liked the unit. couple of days later I could not get my gas one to stay running and another guy with the Jiffey propane was close and he let me use his 2 days later I got a Jiffey at BPS on some kind of close out and have never looked back starts first or second pull every time.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Tried out my new strikemaster laser pro 3hp today for the first timeout on the ice for the season wouldn’t start and no spark....returning and getting electric ion too much messing around....my dewalt and hand auger never let me down....waisted 3 hours of drive time and $40 in gas lucky amazon has a superb return process

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:06 AM »
If you buy a great portable drill you can justify the purchase with the wife “ it’s for the home improvement project”  you plan on working on next spring...

Truer words never spoken....

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:43 AM »
Yeah the only problem with that is they remember and will be watching to see what project you're doing and if your using it.  And then there's the other big set of teeth to bite you, if you don't manage to find a project to use it on they'll find one for you and usually their's is a lot bigger and more expensive than what you wanted to get into.   ;D

Offline Cold Ice Rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:53 AM »
I've been using a 20v dewalt with a custom insert to use the lazer hand auger works great however, I find myself  drilling loads of holes and have ran 2 batteries dry many many times....with that said I'm looking for a gas auger leaning towards  strike master lazer pro 3hp 8 inch bit....from the videos I seen they seem so loud....do u think a gas auger scares fish ? Is that auger the best choice ? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. As I only been ice fishing for the past 3 years
I use a Nils auger with a Milwaukee cordless 18 drill, have not had any problems with it.

Offline LifeofRyelee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:11 PM »
Hey All,  I am a relative newbie/ novice... I have ice fished for about 10 years but have and average of 1 trip per year :(   However the plan is to Fish this year!  I had a nice Jiffy gas auger that I liked.  Used startron all the time and it has run great for the past 8 years. ( I had a habit of running it 2X each off season to keep the carbs clear.  However, I may be fishing a private lake with homes around it so I sold it for $200 and added my Cabela's points to but an ION 8.  I did this because there is a restriction of no gas allowed on the lake (and also to be quiet for the residents).  For the amount of holes I make (20-30) I should be fine.  I will give a report on how good, efficient, and easy to use the ION is.  I will keep you posted. Danny

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:59 PM »
went to harbour freight bought their gas auger,20 percent off coupon got it for 100 dollars. took my hand auger took apart and cut the auger they give you and adapted to my hand auger works great cheap and can still use hand auger and auger for drilling in ground.my buddy saw it did same thing perfect.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.