Author Topic: Tricking your pop up hub???  (Read 17492 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Tricking your pop up hub???
« on: Nov 18, 2015, 08:08 PM »
So Ive done some good mods to my 2 man flip over.  I just ordered a pop up (otter) for when the ice isnt thick enough to drag my clam out there with the snowmobile, and I need some cover.  Or for when I have more than a couple of us out there who want to sit in a shelter......So are there any neat must haves for fishing in a hub?  Obviously a heater,,,,What other accessories are must have for the pop up.....

Offline walley250

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tricking your pop up hub???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2015, 08:15 PM »
I like my clam chairs.  They are compact and decent to sit in for most the day.  Hooks are nice for coats and other gear, and some lighting too.  The clam hub light looks nice but they want plenty of money for it.

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2015, 08:51 PM »
I bought cheap led 12v lights and hooked up to a small battery. Had the lights attached to the bars at the ceiling. Had more light than I knew what to do with

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2015, 09:45 PM »
where did you pick up the cheap led lights

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:37 PM »
where did you pick up the cheap led lights

Amazon
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:56 PM »
, ,
Here is my setup I did a couple of days ago. I used LED light strips that I bought off of Amazon. They are 16 ft strips that I cut down to fit on the ceiling poles and are ran off of a vexilar 12v battery.  Hope this helps.  If you have any questions about it just email me.
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Thats sweet....    :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2015, 02:10 PM »
It works for me.  Hopefully it will give Perchnut some ideas.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Owen:  The only thing missing is a disco ball hanging in the middle!  :) 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2015, 02:18 PM »
LOL, very true.  I can't wait until we get some hardwater so I can put it to good use!

Offline B540glenn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:43 PM »
I have a small battery operated (2 D-cell) fan to circulate the hot air from the heater.  It's quiet enough and moves enough air to help with the hot/cold spots. 
Glenn

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2015, 01:00 PM »
I was thinking Owen might have a brass pole in there too somewhere!!  Thanks for the ideas.

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2015, 09:28 PM »
No brass pole. I ran the wires along the seam and tied them up with fine wire.  The only thing that has any weight to this setup is the batteries that are in the baskets up on top.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2015, 12:58 AM »
That looks great.

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2015, 05:40 AM »
really nice...good job

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Thanks everyone. Hope this helps Perchnut in tricking out hub style shanty's.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2015, 02:06 AM »
portable dvd player? got one for mine... I am talking the kind that straps to the back of car seats.. I made a adaptor to fit a vexilar battery so it runs off 12 volts.... mine has two screens just encase you bring your buddy along... be sides this your going to want lighting and some sort of shelf would be nice to put gear on like that calm hub shelf....   I use my hub in the fall threw spring till it warms up...  almost year round when fishing steel head and salmon from the piers.... that dvd player is nice to have on long trips....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:31 AM »
not much of a trick but I got one of the folding clam tables for my hub.it was cheap and its nice for my bait, gloves, flasher or whatever I don't want sitting on the ice.doesnt weigh anything and folds up in a little bag.

Offline mukluk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2015, 10:12 PM »
Thanks for the pics Owen did the same to my 949I tonight. Love the amount of light and no shadows. Now working on my flip over power box.

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:32 AM »
, ,
Here is my setup I did a couple of days ago. I used LED light strips that I bought off of Amazon. They are 16 ft strips that I cut down to fit on the ceiling poles and are ran off of a vexilar 12v battery.  Hope this helps.  If you have any questions about it just email me.

Very awesome, I think I am going to have to do that to mine.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:38 PM »
I use those interlocking foam exercise mats as a floor.  It helps to keep things warm and the biggest bonus is that without a floor in a hub footing can be a bit tricky once you start heating them up. 

Mine is not insulated right from the factory but I did custom cut some reflectix that can be stuffed in between the fabric and the braces for extremely cold days.  I usually won't even bring that stuff out until it's at least -10.  When I do I won't cover all of the walls with it but I will stuff some behind my heater and in the ceiling.  When fishing at night you won't need much light at all to see things because it bounces off of the reflectix pretty well. 

New for this year I modified the rear of my smitty sled so it can be slid underneath a wall of my hub.  I don't have a pic of it so bear with me.  Imagine a smitty sled...on the rear cross member I built it up vertically so that my otter sled can fit in between the uprights.  On top of the uprights is a box/shelf where I can put a radio, battery, gloves, etc.  Below that shelf and at the same level as the top of the original smitty I have a piece of plywood on a hinge which flips down as an electronics shelf or I can put my heater there if I wanted....or I can flip that board up, drill another hole and jig from the center of the hub.  Towards the top of the uprights I have two "wings" on each side that fold up when in transport or if I want to get them out of the way when they are in the hub.  On each of these wings I have a rattle reel.  When deployed I can drop lines off of these rattle reels towards each edge of my hub....or deploy one rattle reel or none.  It depends on the mood I'm in and what I'm targeting.  Back to the uprights....on one upright I have a boat cleat which can be used to set my camera depth.  Just wrap my camera cable through the cleat and the depth is set. On the other upright I have a bottle opener...well, because you have to have one along.  On both uprights I have a ladder hook to coincide with ladder hooks running off of my front cross member.  When in transport I put my hub on one side and my auger on the other freeing the sled up to carry other gear.  That top box/shelf I mentioned is high enough where I can fit a tall 6 gallon bucket underneath it when that bucket is in the otter sled. 

I haven't had a chance to use this thing yet because of a lack of ice.  In theory I think it should be pretty slick and I wanted a way to run rattle reels inside of my hub.  Unfortunately in the few months since I built this thing I've come up with other ideas that might be a bit more efficient so it might be getting an overhaul at some point in the near future.   

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:25 AM »
Johnsonarcher:
It only took me a few hours to set this up.  Most of the time was brainstorming on how I wanted to do it.

Offline trex59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:08 PM »
luckowen, I was doing a search on hub lighting and came across this subject.  Have you been out on the ice yet with your hub?  I was wondering how your lighting worked out after its been folded up. I have the 949i and I can attest that the hardest part is fiquring out what you want to do!!

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:53 AM »
trex59,
I have used my hut for about a month non-stop and it works great!  I have only had to charge the batteries up once so far.  The lighting is excellent and I ran the lights from the side to the top so it didn't interfere with the top hub damaging any wires.  So, to your question about if being folded up, there isn't any problems with that, other than the companies don't make the bags a little bigger...lol

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:29 AM »
luckyowen98, I bought some led strip lights and clips for the ends to power them, these clips are a pita to attach to the strips, most just tear the strip and don't really line up with the small tabs. How do you get power to your strips? Thanks................ .......al

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Uncle al. I use two small vexilar style batteries that I store up in the mesh baskets on top of the hut. I was beating my head trying to figure out how to get power to them without running wires to the ground and that was my only solution.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:07 AM »
thanks owen, I understand the battery part, but hooking the LED's to the battery is where I'm having trouble, I bought clips that the LED'S are supposed to"clip" into but they just tear the strip, and don't really make contact with the strip, How do you hook the strip to the battery?

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Oh OK, I got these male/female hookups. They look like the kind that works on the vexilar charger. I just clipped off the two wires and ran the pos/neg to the respective terminals on the batteries.  I will get pics of the battery and what it looks like up here today. The other end I had to solder onto the strip itself and used electrical tape to cover the end up. 

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:35 AM »
K thanks, I'll get a pic of what I have too

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2016, 11:54 AM »
Sorry about the poor pic but you can get the idea, the strip slides under the two contacts, and the other end goes to the battery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.