Author Topic: Getting Flip Over Off Of Truck  (Read 12129 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
Getting Flip Over Off Of Truck
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:08 PM »
So I recently purchased a new flip over and its fairly heavy and bulky and therefore kind of hard to get off the truck by myself. I could use my ramps to slide it down. Just wondering if anyone has any tricks to get a fully loaded shanty off the truck.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Getting Flip Over Off Of Truck
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:29 PM »
For a fully loaded flipper the ramp is the way to go. It'll be a bit of a b***h getting it back up unless you have a pully system mounted to the front of the box. I load & unload empty due to a bad back. :tipup:

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:59 PM »
I installed hifax runners on my hut, I made the runners about an inch longer on the bottom so they stick out past the tub, this way I can put the front of the hut up on the tailgate and it doesn't slip back as the runners act like brakes and dig in the ground or ice. Then I can go around and grab the back end (seat frame for Frabrill Commando) and lift it into the bed of the truck. Read that little trick on here before I installed the runners. I have back issues as well and sure makes it easier, also read that you can use a 2x6 or two as a guide and do the same thing on the tailgate

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:02 PM »
A buddy has a flip and we use a 2x12 ramp. The best way I found is to line it up on the ramp, lift the back up off the ground and give it a shove and it rides up the ramp pretty well. A pulley and rope would obviously be nice but...

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:08 AM »
This is one of the reasons i bought one of the lightest flips I could find.

Some of them out there a built like tanks and weigh almost as much, unfortunately if u cant transport it, its useless.

Wait till you throw your back out trying to finagle that beast up some ramps and have to miss a few trips because of it..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:53 AM »
I just built these, as I was having the same frustration with getting it up and down off of the truck by myself. Super nice to be able to have the hut fully loaded and not worry about packing and unpacking every time when trying to lift it up. Total cost was about $10 in 2x6's, hinges. and L brackets. They fold down easily and I bungee them together to keep from sliding around.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:49 AM »
I mounted a $70 electric winch in my pickup, for when I loaded my otter lodge in the truck last year. Worked great!! This year I am using a hitch haul to haul the otter on, and my atv goes in the truck bed. Works great and I don't have the hassle of a trailer to pull.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline vans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2014, 04:35 AM »
if you plan to build a smitty sled you can use the ski's as a ramp, works for me

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2014, 01:01 PM »
I added used downhill skis to bottom of flip-over sled.  They extend about 6" beyond the back of sled.  This holds the back as I lift the front onto the tailgate then the ski's act like a ramp but no other ramp to build  ;D.  Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2014, 01:27 PM »
I lay the tow rope over the top, pick up the back end on to my thighs, reach over and grab the rope and lean back. I then privet it around and put the front of the clam on back of the pick up and push. I don't feel as if I am lifting much, just using my torso as a counter balance. Reverse for coming off... I do try to lighten it, but it is still heavier than Baitbucket and his clam together!!!

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2014, 06:08 AM »
Same as striper. I cut my rope for pulling my new Otter 1200 cottage a little long just for that reason.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2014, 06:58 AM »
I mounted a $70 electric winch in my pickup, for when I loaded my otter lodge in the truck last year. Worked great!! This year I am using a hitch haul to haul the otter on, and my atv goes in the truck bed. Works great and I don't have the hassle of a trailer to pull.

I load my kenai strapped to my smitty on my hitch haul all the time. To dang worn out to load it in the back.

Just make sure the shanty cover is on tight so the shanty does not get filled with road slush.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2014, 12:12 PM »
if you go on youtube and search portable ice house loading there is a video showing you how it works with skies on but you still need to unload it

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:36 PM »
Somebody posted pics of using a Smitty sled for loading a flip over into a truck. I tried, works like a charm.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Somebody posted pics of using a Smitty sled for loading a flip over into a truck. I tried, works like a charm.
prob from me:)

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Wait, for the price you pay for an Otter, it doesnt come with a person to load/unload it for you when you use it?
Does it atleast come with a grappling hook launcher?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline zman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:47 PM »
     Get a hollow core door. Fasten a 1x8, or whatever height you need onto the bottom, kind of like a foot. Coat the whole thing with poly really good. Tie a length of rope(loop) to right and left side of the foot to act as a handle or install metal handles. Put a screw eye into each corner on the opposite end. Set one end of the door/ramp onto your tailgate and the other end on the ground. Tie a section of rope back inside the opposite end of the bed and to each screw eye so when the door is pulled out the end doesn't drop onto the ground.
     Load your shanty onto the door, pick up the door using loop handles, slide the whole thing into bed of truck. When ready to unload, grab the loop handles, pull the door ramp out to the pre set length and place on ground.
     I have been using this for a few years now and it works really well. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Some good ideas on this thread.  Thanks for the tips.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:22 PM »
bring some boards, form a ramp were you park ,call a concrete truck pour concrete into forms walk right up ramp to load when done sledgehammer concrete ramp apart load up in truck on top of your shelter. take forms apart and set on fire.rake up ash and put into shelter.or pick it up and put it in ;D

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2014, 07:42 AM »
I use a boat winch. I have a eye bolt in front of box and bolted a hook to winch. Pull out strap and hook to sled, Hook other end to eye bolt crank handle. Just like loading your boat.  Steve

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Why can't the ski's on the smitty sled, with your stuff still on it, be put on the tailgate of your truck, then lift everything up and push it in.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:34 PM »
All great ideas guys! My one man is starting to become a struggle for me now. Maybe I need to look into making something like these.cccccc
Fish on!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:36 PM »
I lay the tow rope over the top, pick up the back end on to my thighs, reach over and grab the rope and lean back. I then privet it around and put the front of the clam on back of the pick up and push. I don't feel as if I am lifting much, just using my torso as a counter balance. Reverse for coming off... I do try to lighten it, but it is still heavier than Baitbucket and his clam together!!!

Same here.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline dpgunsmith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2017, 10:36 AM »
ASATMillerbluegill.. I have been looking at doing the same setup you have with the winch...did you reinforce the front of the bed box for the winch or mount it directly?  I was worried about bending the front of the box.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2018, 06:33 PM »
Mount one of those deer gambrel pulley system...4:1 ratio pulling up a board ramp should work....

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2018, 07:12 AM »
I went the ramp board route which has made it real easy to push my fully loaded flip into the truck.  Bought those aluminum pieces for DIY ramps that get bolted onto the end of a pair of 2x6's.  Usually just leave them in the back of the pickup, but if I'm in an area where I think somebody might like them better then me I just set 'em on the ground and back the truck up onto the boards. 

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:42 AM »
I added used downhill skis to bottom of flip-over sled.  They extend about 6" beyond the back of sled.  This holds the back as I lift the front onto the tailgate then the ski's act like a ramp but no other ramp to build  ;D.  Bless

That's exactly what I used to do,  until I dropped it and broke a ski
 :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.