Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540370 times)

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #4200 on: Dec 31, 2021, 05:57 PM »
Mitch-
I did a drive by on fernan yesterday and not a footprint on either end. It didn't look great from the rd. I had 2 sleeping kids in the car so didn't check.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4201 on: Dec 31, 2021, 06:18 PM »
Any reports from upper twin lake??
look back on my last post on upper twin just a page back
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4202 on: Dec 31, 2021, 06:46 PM »
I just heard a rumor that someone went for a swim on mirror lake today, he made it out ok but all his gear is still on the ice

sihlms391

« Reply #4203 on: Dec 31, 2021, 07:39 PM »
Hope they are alright.

Offline Joe34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4204 on: Dec 31, 2021, 11:13 PM »
@aza10 did you ever make it to Mirror lake today to examine the ice conditions?

@CMS that is a scary thought if someone broke through. I was going to take two kids and 2 other adults there tomorrow morning bright and early. I guess we'll consider going for PLAN B and hit Gamble for perch....
Life is short. Go fishing.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4205 on: Jan 01, 2022, 01:48 AM »
I did sorry for the late reply. Some one was fishing when I went there. Just before the swimming docks. I made it about 25 yards from him and noticed maybe 2 - 3 not all clear ice and ended up bailing. Never tried to make it further to target any Kokanee

Hope the guys ok.  Hope y’all stay safe out there as well.  Happy new year.

Offline Joe34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4206 on: Jan 01, 2022, 08:08 AM »
I did sorry for the late reply. Some one was fishing when I went there. Just before the swimming docks. I made it about 25 yards from him and noticed maybe 2 - 3 not all clear ice and ended up bailing. Never tried to make it further to target any Kokanee

Hope the guys ok.  Hope y’all stay safe out there as well.  Happy new year.

Ok that seals it. It wasn't ready earlier this week when I checked, and I don't want the stress of thinking about my elderly father-in-law going swimming with the kids. I guess we'll give Gamble lake a shot. Never been there before.

Thanks for the report. Happy new year and stay safe guys.
Life is short. Go fishing.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4207 on: Jan 01, 2022, 10:19 AM »
Ice reports are can be good indications of the conditions.  But be cautious especially on early ice.  Whats good in one spot doesn't mean it safe in another.  If there is any question drill your way as you go.  As the season progresses I am sure you will see some people doing some pretty stupid stuff.   Don't be that guy.  Good luck and be safe.

Offline Po Tader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4208 on: Jan 01, 2022, 10:24 AM »
Where is gamble?

Offline TOMINATER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4209 on: Jan 01, 2022, 03:10 PM »
Where is gamble?

By Sandpoint. Aka Gamlin Lake.

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4210 on: Jan 01, 2022, 03:32 PM »
Heading over by the chains tomorrow. I’ll check Rose and Killarney and report back
I fish therefore I lie

Offline Po Tader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4211 on: Jan 01, 2022, 05:21 PM »
By Sandpoint. Aka Gamlin Lake.
Thanks Tominator. Knew where gamlin was but was confused by gamble… saw it pop up a few times so I thought I would ask.

Offline Po Tader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4212 on: Jan 01, 2022, 05:27 PM »
Checked chase and blue (priest) yesterday. I’m pretty picky on ice and I wasn’t comfortable with it. Very cloudy. However, freeman is good. 7-8 inches of ice. First 2-3 were totally clear. The rest is cloudy but felt very solid. Good perch bite yesterday and today.

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4213 on: Jan 01, 2022, 06:32 PM »
Checked Fernan today-only 2 inches off the first turnout.  Needs a few more days.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4214 on: Jan 01, 2022, 07:43 PM »
Checked chase and blue (priest) yesterday. I’m pretty picky on ice and I wasn’t comfortable with it. Very cloudy. However, freeman is good. 7-8 inches of ice. First 2-3 were totally clear. The rest is cloudy but felt very solid. Good perch bite yesterday and today.
What kind of ice profile did you find on Chase and Blue?

Offline Po Tader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4215 on: Jan 01, 2022, 08:00 PM »
What kind of ice profile did you find on Chase and Blue?

I was checking with a spud but it looked like 4-5” of cloudy ice. It was chattering occasionally (I’m 220 #). When I would spin my spud bar to hook the bottom of the ice with the chisel top, it was crumbling underneath and giving inconsistent thickness readings. I would get water seeping through after my first strike. I could see where people had been fishing on blue. No evidence of anyone fishing chase. Of course the fresh snow may have covered things up too much…

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4216 on: Jan 01, 2022, 08:27 PM »
Anybody have any places to get maggots in the Priest River/Newport Sandpoint area?  My go to place has been Mac’s in Priest River but when I checked last night….they had 20 or so containers full of black or brown maggots and hardly a healthy looking white one. 

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4217 on: Jan 01, 2022, 08:57 PM »
Anybody have any places to get maggots in the Priest River/Newport Sandpoint area?  My go to place has been Mac’s in Priest River but when I checked last night….they had 20 or so containers full of black or brown maggots and hardly a healthy looking white one.

Sagle Conoco had some yesterday if you make your way across the bridge. I know north 40s we’re dead the other day as well.

Offline Idahoice77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4218 on: Jan 01, 2022, 10:32 PM »
Has anyone checked cocolloa for safe ice??

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4219 on: Jan 01, 2022, 11:03 PM »
Has anyone checked cocolloa for safe ice??

Not sure about “safe” but people have been fishing it a few days now. I saw huts on the north and south ends today.  I’m headed out to the north end in the AM.

Offline TOMINATER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4220 on: Jan 02, 2022, 12:01 AM »

Went to BiMart in Deer Park a couple days ago and they had lots of maggots and mealworms. North Spokane Walmart also had a small selection of them.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4221 on: Jan 02, 2022, 11:32 AM »
North ridge outfitters in oldtown usually has them as well as mealworms.

Offline Idahoice77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4222 on: Jan 02, 2022, 11:45 AM »
Any one on cocolloa this morning

Offline ModernLonghunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4223 on: Jan 02, 2022, 05:17 PM »
Heading over by the chains tomorrow. I’ll check Rose and Killarney and report back

What's the verdict? I was considering heading to Rose Lake tomorrow, maybe.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4224 on: Jan 02, 2022, 05:39 PM »
I swung by nautical loop at maiden rock spirit lake and it’s froze all the way across with some wet spots and a line of water all the way across the bay under the snow, it looks like someone went about 75 yards out and punched s couple holes  but they flooded the ice

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4225 on: Jan 02, 2022, 06:38 PM »
Fished Round lake today.  Fishing was slow.  Caught 3 trout and 9 perch.  A dozen or so people were out there today.  About 6" of ice with half of that frozen  slush.  Cocolalla had a few people scattered over a pretty large area on the north end when I drove by.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4226 on: Jan 02, 2022, 07:15 PM »
Cocolalla fished well today. 3-4” of great clear black ice with a dusting of snow.  Perch are fairly small but a decent AM trout bite.

Got a good amount of snow in the forecast this week.  I think I’ll hit upper twin tomorrow.

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4227 on: Jan 02, 2022, 09:18 PM »
What's the verdict? I was considering heading to Rose Lake tomorrow, maybe.
Two people were fishing Rose Lake this morning. They were not far off the dock.

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4228 on: Jan 02, 2022, 09:51 PM »
Stopped and checked rose. Didn’t make it to Killarney. One guy fishing off the boat launch about 20 yards out from the dock. Ice looked sketchy to me. He said there was a couple of inches of slush on top of a couple inches of ice. You could see wet patches from shore. I’ll wait……..
I fish therefore I lie

Offline ModernLonghunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4229 on: Jan 02, 2022, 10:55 PM »
Stopped and checked rose. Didn’t make it to Killarney. One guy fishing off the boat launch about 20 yards out from the dock. Ice looked sketchy to me. He said there was a couple of inches of slush on top of a couple inches of ice. You could see wet patches from shore. I’ll wait……..

That's unfortunate. They're calling for it to be 40° again soon, as well. Rose Lake might not freeze up enough this year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.