Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540259 times)

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3660 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:20 PM »
Any size to the perch?

There were a few decent keepers but most were on the smaller side. Saved enough for tacos though!  :icefish:

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #3661 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:39 PM »
Fished Freeman with smitti today, ice is good and thick 4-6''+, we caught a few perch but didn't have much for electronics so didn't move much. Two other guys were there they were on the other side of the lake in deeper water and did better. We had no luck with the muskie or catfish. We weren't very well prepared and I am not much of a perch fisherman. We check out Maiden Rock at Spirit, no ice. Twin is looking promising, with ice at the narrows not thick enough to check. At the upper ramp on Upper Twin we drilled a hole from the dock, only 2'' of clear ice but a few cold days and nights and we will be looking good.
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline IcekiddKt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3662 on: Jan 04, 2020, 09:30 AM »
Was there standing water and slush on freeman?

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3663 on: Jan 04, 2020, 03:09 PM »
Yes there was standing water and slush on Freeman.

sihlms391

« Reply #3664 on: Jan 05, 2020, 11:33 AM »
Checked out Kelso.  Not to thick at dock.   Went to granite.   4 inches clear ice off dock.   Didn't go out on pretty slick.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3665 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:40 PM »
Fished Freeman this evening, a few bluegill but nothing on the pike/tiger side of things.  The slush was pretty much frozen and there's a good 6 " plus of ice.  It was 32 degrees and snowing pretty good when we left.  might run out to granite tomorrow and give it shot.

Offline IdahoJoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3666 on: Jan 06, 2020, 08:20 AM »
Went out to the chain lakes on Saturday. Hit Bull Run...No ice to be found except back of the lake looked like ice in one of the bays. Fished open water with quick strike rigs for some pike. 4 hours of nothing. Snowed all morning. All that brand new ice gear still in the back of my truck waiting to be used!!

Offline TwoBucketBruce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3667 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:07 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Gamlin L. or any of the other little lakes out that way? Heard there might be some big crappie in Gamlin?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3668 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:40 PM »
You might think about changing your handle if you want to come on here just to ask where you can go to fill up two buckets with my crappie.

Offline TwoBucketBruce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3669 on: Jan 06, 2020, 09:25 PM »
You might think about changing your handle if you want to come on here just to ask where you can go to fill up two buckets with my crappie.
Sorry Bullpine, rookie mistake.

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3670 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Looks like next week will have some good ice building temps, Finally

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3671 on: Jan 08, 2020, 05:24 PM »
Fished out on Kelso today.  Ice at the north end near the dock was a bit shaky 2.5 to 3" in some places but the south end of the lake had a good 4" of ice.  with the cold temps on the way should be a lot safer soon.  Thinking of hitting freeman or blue tomorrow, hoping the weather didn't totally kill the ice up that way.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3672 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Fished Freeman this evening, a few bluegill but nothing on the pike/tiger side of things.  The slush was pretty much frozen and there's a good 6 " plus of ice.  It was 32 degrees and snowing pretty good when we left.  might run out to granite tomorrow and give it shot.

There will be plenty of ice on Freeman no need to worry about that.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3673 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:47 PM »
Perfect!! :tipup: :tipup:

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3674 on: Jan 08, 2020, 11:43 PM »
Blue should be good too.  6 solid inches on Sunday.  The recent snow and rain may make it sloppy on top.....but good solid layer below.   Landed almost 20 perch and crappie in a little over an hour Sunday afternoon between my son and I.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3675 on: Jan 09, 2020, 10:29 AM »
[/font][/font]
Blue should be good too.  6 solid inches on Sunday.  The recent snow and rain may make it sloppy on top.....but good solid layer below.   Landed almost 20 perch and crappie in a little over an hour Sunday afternoon between my son and I.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3676 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:50 PM »
Just checking in here.  I've been out a total of 5 times this season.  I've only fished Freeman Lake.  It has a good 6" clear and a couple white. The time before last it was a sloppy mess but the slush had mostly melted and re-froze leaving it pretty slick most recently (Saturday). I've managed to bring about a dozen perch home each time, a bluegill and a decent largemouth.  Not much size to the perch.  Probably 8" at best.  Hole hopping seems to produce more fish.  2 or 3 here, 2 or 3 there.  I tried for pike/musky with 3 tip-ups two of the 5 times I was out without a flag.  This year is the fist time I've fished that lake.  Seems to be pretty weedy and shallow.  The deepest areas I fished were maybe 14'.  Most productive bait seemed to be a white Lindy Perch Talker tipped with wax worm and/or perch eye.  I'm looking forward to some cooler weather this week.  Looks like we'll finally be freezing things up.  Just got a Tickle Stick and Freefall Ghost in the mail.  Anxious to try that out.  Might try Blue Lake this weekend.  Anyone know if the road stays plowed to that lake? Never been there. And are there pike in there?

What I know:  Everything around Coeur d'Alene is pretty much open water.  Chains were all open water last weekend with some thin shelves around the edges.  Hayden Lake Sportsman's is open water as of this morning (thin layers in spots after last nights cold), same with Avondale. Fernan appears to be all open water as of last weekend.  The officer in Sandpoint told me that Gamble was not fishable as of Dec. 27th.  Lower Twin was open water last weekend, didn't drive into the upper lake.

Anyone know anything about Burbot fishing in Bonner Lake?  Accessibility and ice conditions? 

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3677 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:54 PM »
The road to Blue stays plowed as its a county road.  The pullout to access the lake is right off the county road on the north side of the lake.  The pullout is right at the lake itself.  I caught a pike back in the summer of 1992 on Blue and haven’t caught one since.  Haven’t tried really hard to target them....but I haven’t heard anybody catching pike out of there in the last 15 years or so.  Not that they aren’t there or haven’t been caught...I just haven’t heard of anyone catching them.  There are some tiger Muskie in there though that people do catch now and then.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3678 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:11 AM »
The road to Blue stays plowed as its a county road.  The pullout to access the lake is right off the county road on the north side of the lake.  The pullout is right at the lake itself.  I caught a pike back in the summer of 1992 on Blue and haven’t caught one since.  Haven’t tried really hard to target them....but I haven’t heard anybody catching pike out of there in the last 15 years or so.  Not that they aren’t there or haven’t been caught...I just haven’t heard of anyone catching them.  There are some tiger Muskie in there though that people do catch now and then.

Thanks for the info.  I'll keep you all posted.

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3679 on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:48 AM »
deer4d-did you use that freefall/ticklestick combo yet-if so what did you think?- seriously considering going that way and would like to hear your take.

Offline TwoBucketBruce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3680 on: Jan 11, 2020, 05:36 PM »
deer4d-did you use that freefall/ticklestick combo yet-if so what did you think?- seriously considering going that way and would like to hear your take.
I ordered one of those free-fall reels through 13Fishing last year but decided to send it back w/o even using it. After playing with it a little I decided I didn't like the trigger placement, it seemed too close to the cork handle and was kind of a nuisance with heavy gloves. I just decided to use a baitcasting reel instead, it does basically the same thing.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3681 on: Jan 11, 2020, 08:14 PM »
I bought a tickle stick this season and so far I really like it.  Super sensitive, you feel just about everything. I use it for panfish and trout.  I did not go with the inline reel though, seemed a bit pricey.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3682 on: Jan 11, 2020, 11:47 PM »
I used inlines last year and I really like them and I think you will catch more panfish with them because they don't spin the bait.  But if I were after lake trout or bigger predator fish like walleye and pike I would jig with heavier lines and a spinning rod.

Offline Ice-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3683 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Fished Freeman yesterday afternoon.  6 - 8 inches of ice with 10 inches of wet slow on top.  Pretty tough walking pulling a sled.  The lane and parking lot were plowed but there's probably only room for 5 or 6 rigs in the parking lot.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3684 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:12 AM »

Haven't tried it yet.  I've been busy doing family stuff and haven't had a chance to get out.  It feels really good in the living room though haha. I like the freefall option.  The negative sensitivity will also be nice to find the bottom, dropping a light jig down without using a heavy depth finder weight, which I've always done in the past then hand lined out to keep my depth.  I'll give a better review once I've thoroughly tested. 

Was anyone on Blue Lake yesterday or today?  How much snow is up there?  Is it wet slop or powder?  Might try to get out this week if work schedule allows. 

Anyone know if Gamble has safe ice yet?

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3685 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:15 AM »
I went and checked gamble before the storm and it was just a slush layer near shore. I couldn’t find any solid ice.

sihlms391

« Reply #3686 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:33 AM »
That's funny I was out on granite Monday 40 yards off dock and it will be even better now.

Offline IdahoJoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3687 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:50 AM »
Would love to get out on some ice this weekend if anyone is interested. Im off on Friday, Sat and Sun. Well cancel Sunday since the Packers are playing but Im open Friday and Saturday. Was thinking Twin,  Kelso or Granite since they are close if not Im good anywhere else. let me know. Thanks for local reports as well. Appreciate it. Airborne All The Way! 

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3688 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Would love to get out on some ice this weekend if anyone is interested. Im off on Friday, Sat and Sun. Well cancel Sunday since the Packers are playing but Im open Friday and Saturday. Was thinking Twin,  Kelso or Granite since they are close if not Im good anywhere else. let me know. Thanks for local reports as well. Appreciate it. Airborne All The Way!

I don't know about Twin, last I checked upper had 2 inches at the dock Friday last week, with not much cold before it snowed. I was out by Twin on Sat and they got at least 12'' of snow so with the weight of the snow I would be very cautious. Lower Twin was open water last Friday so that is probably a good thing with all that snow, now if it will freeze up hard we will be golden.

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3689 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:30 PM »
Checked fernan today, main boat launch cove is capped, rest of the lake is water.

I give up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.