Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540142 times)

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2940 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:22 PM »
Oh ok  so what would one expects to catch there cause i have ice fever bad
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2941 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:55 PM »
He was staying close to shore in the shallows so that I'm sure it's still not safe out very far. There's mostly perch ,sunfish, some small bass and some rainbows. It's a great place to take the kids in the summer as they're always biting but I've never seen any size come out of there.i just got back from round lake and it's all capped but only 1/2" thick at the end of the dock.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2942 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:42 PM »
Checked out upper Twin lake north of Rathdrum.   About a third of the lake is covered by a 1/2 inch of ice.   Its a start.

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2943 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:03 PM »
The forecast for next week does not looking to promising. Fingers crossed. I’m itching to get back out on the ice.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2944 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:52 AM »
What date were people getting on the ice last year? I think I remember it being around this time, right? I know I was fishing around Christmas for sure.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2945 on: Dec 11, 2017, 09:16 AM »
Dec. 17  last year was the first time people started talking about safe ice  on several of the local lakes.  That was on page 83 - 84 of North Idaho ice/Ice Shanty.   Another good reason for the page.  Its historical.   I usually figure that if we are ice fishing before Christmas, that is an bonus.  We usually have safe ice by the middle of Jan.    You never know, and it can change fast.  When we have safe ice, take advantage of it.  It goes a lot faster then it comes.

Offline Kodiak35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2946 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Just received a report from the state park folks at winchester lake . About2 inches of ice just off the center dock . Asked if ice was all the way across the lake he told me it was but not aware of the thickness further out . This was Friday the 8th of december :o

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2947 on: Dec 12, 2017, 01:12 AM »
Please tread lightly on Winchester! I am scared @#!!less until a real good freeze. Hot springs and uneven ice has ruined my day more than once. Please wait till a real good cold snap

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2948 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:30 AM »
So cougar bay is got maybe 4-30' of ice around the shores  but thats it  kinda sucks but at least i can still waterfowl hunt
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2949 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Seriously, Kodiak. My wife and I fished Winchester ONE TIME on the ice and never went back. While the ice was over 12" thick, the popping and shifting of ice beneath our feet was too much for her. All we were catching were slimebows and the tiniest dink perch anyway...  :P

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2950 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Noise and cracking are good.  Silence bad.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2951 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:51 PM »
Have a look.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2952 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Bullpine, it wasn't so much the cracking and popping...it was the big slab that shifted under our feet that changed our minds.  ;D

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2953 on: Dec 13, 2017, 02:21 PM »
I'm strongly considering adding a flasher to my hard water arsenal this season. I have no experience with them, but I've seen a number of people have success with them both in person and in youtube videos. Can anyone recommend, based on personal experience, a good starting unit that won't break the bank? My research has me looking at the Humminbird Ice 35 currently.
Thanks!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2954 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Bullpine, it wasn't so much the cracking and popping...it was the big slab that shifted under our feet that changed our minds.  ;D

I know what I said is true, but the noise and pressure cracking get to me too.  So easier said than done.   Beware of the pressure cracks.  A skater fell through a pressure crack on Moses Lake between the parkn lot and the Interstate Bridge.  Up to her waist.  Lucky to be alive.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2955 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:30 AM »
Has anyone been by Avondale lake (Hayden) in the past couple of days? That's a pretty small lake that should be getting close. What about Round Lake (Dufert Rd near Sandpoint)?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2956 on: Dec 14, 2017, 10:35 AM »
The latest on Round Lake State Park was on the tenth in post #  2942.     ;)2

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=64932.msg3725101#msg3725101

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2957 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Roger, thanks. I may take a trip over the Avondale with my spud and check out the ice Saturday morning. I'll make sure to put a report up if I do!

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2958 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Already on it going to check out Avondale here in a little bit just getting my Spud unfrozen from a block of ice

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2959 on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Hi HugeinChina,

I'll weigh in on flashers:  I've personally used a Vexilar FL8, a Vexilar FL-20.  I've seen the Marcum 'showdown' in action as well.

Vexilar FL8:  Basic package, no zoom options or any fancy bells and whistles.  This thing is a workhorse.  It's extremely dependable and continues to to what you need it to do:  1) work  2) mark fish.  Nothing fancy.  Used it for several years now it's great.

Vexilar FL20:  This one has zoom features (you can zoom in on a section of the water column) and several additional settings.  I'll be honest, I haven't read the manual as much as I should have, and probably don't use it to it's fullest potential.  I've had problems with this particular machine being finicky.  It's more sensitive than the FL8, and some days it shows more detail the FL8.  Other days, I get a ton of ghost lines, and I find myself constantly adjusting the gain.  I'm actually going to be sending it back to Vexilar to see if they can run some diagnostics on it.  I think this would be a great machine...and I just have something going on with mine.

I knew a guy that had the ICE 35 machine and I really liked it.  The big display is awesome. 

I'm super excited for this year because over summer I watched e-bay like a hawk and picked up a Marcum LX-5.  I haven't used it yet, but will be happy to report back when I do.  Good luck everyone this year!

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2960 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Ok Avondale is 90% covered with a lot of springs  ice 1"-1 1/2" so don't bother getting on it

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2961 on: Dec 14, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Thanks for the report on Avondale! Sounds like we are still a couple of weeks out unless we get a polar express or something.  :-\
Hopefully we have good ice by the time to flasher I ordered this morning shows up! (Dec. 22nd-ish)  ;)

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2962 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:38 PM »
Checked the weather report and looks like a temp dip coming next wednesday-lows in teens.  Pray for Ice!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2963 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:28 AM »
I saw that too! Time to break out that alter to Jo-bu... here chicken, chicken...

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2964 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Checked out Round lake yesterday (Fri).  Completely covered with ice.  1" thick near the docks.  It was snowing at the time with about 2" on the ground.  Also checked the 10 day forecast and its supposed to be down in the teens by the middle of next week.   We might be ice fishing by Christmas yet.   Fingers crossed.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2965 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Swung by spirit lake, the bay at the boat launch at nautical loop had ice about ten feet out from shore around the whole bay so it's gonna be awhile there.

Offline Kaseyb336

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2966 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:35 PM »
I know it's not much but spring valley reservoir has a solid 4 inches of nice clear ice on the west end we didn't check next to the parking lot but people were out on it. We did very well on bluegill and bass today

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2967 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:13 PM »
From shore
Avondale 2 1/2"
Sportsman access 2 3/4" 
Still need a few more really cold nights

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2968 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:09 PM »
3 pm today was 31 degrees F and snowing very hard at Twin. Lower Twin was opened but Upper Twin froze over but I didn't walk out. Didn't look very safe to me.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2969 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:16 AM »
""

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.