Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540208 times)

Offline dbluff

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2610 on: Jan 03, 2017, 05:12 PM »
Has anyone fished Fernan Lake yet? Feeling the itch to get out this weekend and go all out!!!!!! sorry super excited...........

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2611 on: Jan 03, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Thanks for the details, spiltmilt.   Good thinking with the fest move.  Yikes. 
Good clothing and heater helps you fight another day.
This adds to similar events of that area.    Brr!

Tom

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2612 on: Jan 03, 2017, 05:28 PM »
*Crosses Hayden off list of lakes to fish in the area

:o

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2613 on: Jan 03, 2017, 05:39 PM »
*Crosses Hayden off list of lakes to fish in the area

:o
X2    Let the choir say amen.         :roflmao:

Well, from a boat,   maybe.   ;)2

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2614 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Stopped by spirit lake and looks like the bats are froze up. Pulled in a silver beach and looks froze all the way across but there was quite an area that was dark with no snow, I assume that must've been open water up until a couple days ago? I didn't have time to drill any testers as I had to get the wife to town. I also stopped by lower twin and saw a couple guys in a tent out off of the boat launch. It looks like someone has been riding a snowmobile out there.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2615 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:38 PM »
I fished Round lake today.  Had it all to myself.  Might have been the 10 degrees and wind.  Good perch bite when I first got there, but then it slowed down.  Round has 10" of good ice with 3" of crusty snow on top.  Didn't see anyone on Cocolalla today either. 

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2616 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Talk about a Blue duck... 10 degrees with wind chill to boot? I have no problem seeing how you were the only soul on Round today, sir!  ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2617 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:54 PM »
You're a great example and our hero, Mike.     :thumbsup: :flex:

:icefish:

Tom

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2618 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Has anyone fished Fernan Lake yet? Feeling the itch to get out this weekend and go all out!!!!!! sorry super excited...........
Fernan is good. 20 FOW for perch. Plenty of ice. Might nab a couple trout too. I caught a nice bluegill out of there too that cut a fillet bigger than the biggest perch. Most perch were over 8 occasionally a ten. 0 pike though.

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2619 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Plan was to fish the point at the end of the park. Hiked down and test drilled about 10 yards north off the end of the fishing dock. 3.5" of "white ice". Didn't feel good about that so tried another spot 20 yards south and closer to shore....only 2.5" of poor ice. Grabbed my things and headed back southwest towards the ramp. Passed the other fishing dock and saw numerous tracks from a snowmobile as well as sleds. Drilled a test hole 8' deep with 3" of hard ice and a 1.5" of slush ice. Dropped a tipup with herring. Walked out away from the bank towards deeper water and my left leg punched thru. I slid back and managed to throw my right leg out. I wear Columbia Snow pants that have a broad velcro strap that wraps tightly around the ankle as well as a recessed secondary cuff that goes inside my Sorel boots that also cinch around the top. This gave me a full 15 seconds before I had any water intrusion into the boot.

During that time I quickly surmised that I had stepped into slush hole about as wide as my body rather than busting thru ice. It more like I sank then busted thru. I pulled my ice picks but with my right leg resting on solid ice I decided to use that leverage and roll back the direction I had come. It work perfectly and I rolled a couple time and stood up. All of this took about 30-45 seconds.

My lower left was wet but my foot only felt damp...at first. I carefully retrieved the auger and shovel. Grabbed my tipup and hiked back to the car about a 5 minute hike. My leg didn't feel chilled but as I walked the water trapped in the wool liner of the Sorels worked its way down soaking my foot. I never wear cotton instead using polyester or fleece base layers with quick dry or fleece mid-layers as well as wool socks with polyester liners. I did bring a spare set of clothes but decided to just change out the footwear at the car. I quickly warmed my feet and within a half of driving my pants had completely dried from the heaters.

Due to the clothing and gear prep I had as well bringing ice picks I didn't really feel scared more just bummed because I knew my day of fishing ruined.

Good Lord man. That's scary stuff! Glad it all worked out for ya. It's crazy how close folks in that snow machine barely missed that slush but of course the guy trying to do some fishing manages to find it the hard way! Way to keep calm and climb outa there. Not so sure I would have reacted that well!

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2620 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:56 PM »
Yikes, sorry to hear about your ruined time at Hayden.  I usually go out right straight off the dock and head straight out towards the docks that are slightly to the right. Hopefully there will be some others out, and I can follow their tracks. Hoping to go either tomorrow or Thur.

Did Avondale today, kinda slow bite. Got about 10 perch and 1 largemouth, all in the 6-9 inch range, so back they all went.  Had to move a couple times to get on some fish
An inch, or so, of powder, then about 8 inches of ice with the top 3-4 being frozen slush and the bottom 4-5 clear ice.

Offline dbluff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2621 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Fernan is good. 20 FOW for perch. Plenty of ice. Might nab a couple trout too. I caught a nice bluegill out of there too that cut a fillet bigger than the biggest perch. Most perch were over 8 occasionally a ten. 0 pike though.

Thank you jcmontgo, I appreciate the feedback and I'll be heading out there hopefully this Saturday!

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2622 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:05 PM »
Sorry you broke through and glad it wasn't more serious.   From your description, it sounds like you were in the creek channel (Hayden Creek comes in at the north end of that bay).  It's safest to stay clear of the mouth of that bay east of sportsman's even late into the season.  I wouldn't venture east of the long fishing dock unless you're another 100 yds or better south.  For future reference, there's also a spring in the middle of the main bay about 400yds out from the launch that's closed up now, but is typically open water with waterfowl hanging out.   

Plan was to fish the point at the end of the park. Hiked down and test drilled about 10 yards north off the end of the fishing dock. 3.5" of "white ice". Didn't feel good about that so tried another spot 20 yards south and closer to shore....only 2.5" of poor ice. Grabbed my things and headed back southwest towards the ramp. Passed the other fishing dock and saw numerous tracks from a snowmobile as well as sleds. Drilled a test hole 8' deep with 3" of hard ice and a 1.5" of slush ice. Dropped a tipup with herring. Walked out away from the bank towards deeper water and my left leg punched thru. I slid back and managed to throw my right leg out. I wear Columbia Snow pants that have a broad velcro strap that wraps tightly around the ankle as well as a recessed secondary cuff that goes inside my Sorel boots that also cinch around the top. This gave me a full 15 seconds before I had any water intrusion into the boot.

Offline Badbleily

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2623 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Has anyone ever tried ice fishing Blanchard lake? I caught a lot of big crappie there in the summer. I know it is a very shallow lake but the fish survive every year and have to eat! Thanks in advance for any reply.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2624 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:06 PM »
The police are checking out lower twin. The cio at the boat launch told me that someone left a drill on the ice so they were checking to make sure it was left and someone didn't fall through

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2625 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Oh man, hopefully it was the former and not the latter.  ???

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2626 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:48 PM »
There was a few people fishing and tracks everywhere. She didn't sound like they thought it was a fall through but they were checking to make sure. When she said a drill I'm assuming an auger.

Offline MNWalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2627 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:11 AM »
Hey guys. I recently moved from Minnesota (really missing lake of the woods this time of year) to Lewiston and am not yet familiar with any of the lakes in northern ID. Looking to get into some crappies this weekend, decent size perch will do too. Any suggestions on what lake to try? Pretty much willing to go anywhere. Thanks!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2628 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:23 AM »
Hey MNWalleye,
 I'm in Pullman, just up the road from you. We do most of our ice fishing a couple hours north. We absolutely creamed the perch last week up on Avondale lake which is in Hayden. It's a straight shot up the 95 with a quick jog East to get to the lake. Really easy access and the bite was very good. Plenty of lakes to check out within 45 min of that one too. If you just want to get on the ice for farmed trout, there are a couple of reservoirs that are closer to you. I personally think that the perch are worth the drive! @)

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2629 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Hey Huge in China, question. Have you ever tried ice fishing Bonnie lake?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2630 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:20 AM »
MNWalleye,    If I lived in Lewiston Id be checking out Winchester lake.  I don't know the conditions there this year, but its been pretty good in the past.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2631 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Bonnie lake is not a lake I am familiar with. Does it ice over and have perch?? If so, I will have to go get my WA license and check it out!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2632 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:56 AM »
Bonnie lake is not a lake I am familiar with. Does it ice over and have perch?? If so, I will have to go get my WA license and check it out!

The wife and I tried that one two winters ago. The ice was good, but the perch were dinks. At least the ones we found. Also, she ran off the ice when it started popping and shifting below her. It was pretty noisy that day and we have not been back. Saw plenty of guys pulling out trout with the occasional perch though.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2633 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Welcome to North Idaho!  Perch don't get much more decent than Cascade Reservoir (state record perch last couple years) so if you're "willing to go anywhere", that's where I'd go.  Probably a 4hr drive from you.   

Hey guys. I recently moved from Minnesota (really missing lake of the woods this time of year) to Lewiston and am not yet familiar with any of the lakes in northern ID. Looking to get into some crappies this weekend, decent size perch will do too. Any suggestions on what lake to try? Pretty much willing to go anywhere. Thanks!

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2634 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:08 PM »
Since I am now in Spokane and not CDA, I always see Newman Lake is real close. I realize it's not quite in North Idaho, but is it worth going out to ? I've never been to it. Thanks.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2635 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:39 PM »
Since I am now in Spokane and not CDA, I always see Newman Lake is real close. I realize it's not quite in North Idaho, but is it worth going out to ? I've never been to it. Thanks.
Newman's ice might be good this year but does not freeze as well as Eloika in Elk.  I would be looking to Hauser in Idaho as that is nearby Newman but with better ice for some reason.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2636 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Mann Lake in Lewiston has lots of crappie.  Don't know about ice fishing it though.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2637 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Bonnie Lake is accessed by a small creek in the spring/summer by using small boats.  You have to either drive in or walk across what I believe is private ground to get to the lake.  People use 4 wheelers as it is a ways there and even farther to the far end where they fish for crappie.  It is well known for crappie.  I got there once in winter and did not get very far down the lake as it took a lot to just reach the lake. I did not catch crappie but had good perch fishing.  The ice is sketchy where the creek comes in so stay hard to the right when getting onto the ice.
This year there might be lots of snow in area and you would want a snow mobile.  I would fish it during open water if I went that way again.  Go to Washington Lakes for reports and info on Bonnie Lake.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2638 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:31 PM »
Fished lower twin today.  8" of good ice with 2" of slushy ice on top and 6" inches of snow on top of that.   Fishing was really slow.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2639 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:35 PM »
Thanks bullpine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.