Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540259 times)

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2550 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:52 PM »
I've done a fair bit of tip up pike fishing around north Idaho and am strongly considering trying to go after tiger Muskie. Anyone had any success on tigers through the ice? Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2551 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:35 AM »
I have heard of a few, after perch on Gamblin and, perch and kokes on Mirror getting bit off by tigers.   

They're in there, just no other details, jc.

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2552 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:46 AM »
I want one gator. I think if a fella got enough folks and tip ups out there a fella might have a chance.
I do have another somewhat related question for tip up folks....what kind of dead bait are folks using under their tip ups? Smelt, perch, etc?  Any difference in success? Also I have a hard time finding what local species are legal to use for bait...maybe I'm just not finding it in the refs. Thanks in advance.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2553 on: Dec 30, 2016, 01:01 AM »
Smelt and perch are used.   

The regulation states "No part of any big game animal or game fish can be used as bait for trapping or fishing". Hm? I'll look for the reg and post a link.

Alas, it's bedtime.    Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Tom

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2554 on: Dec 30, 2016, 01:06 AM »
A bit of info http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=61.0

No news of Bottle Bay.    Yet... ???

The bay has been iced for about two weeks now. That being said we've had several days that got up to 35-37 F in that time. I am going to check out later this week after several days of hard freeze. I'll report back.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2555 on: Dec 30, 2016, 01:07 AM »

The regulation states "No part of any big game animal or game fish can be used as bait for trapping or fishing". Hm? I'll look for the reg and post a link.

Tom

You can also use herring.

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2556 on: Dec 30, 2016, 01:17 AM »
Fished Avondale today, first time out this season, so did a lot of set up on the ice, and tried out the new pop up shelter.
Got there about 11am, and there were at least 10 to 15 others out there. Pretty busy by that little lakes standards.
Caught perch nonstop from 11am to 3:30pm. Kept 20 that were in the 8 to 10 inch range for some fish tacos tomorrow.
Fished in 18ft of water. Maggots, worm pieces, and perch eyes caught them all the same. All fish were within 2 feet of bottom. Not a single blip any higher in the water the whole time on the fish finder.
Ice was frozen slushsnow for the top few inches, on top of 4 to 5" of clear ice.

That would be amazing to get some lake trout, or whitefish if Bottle Bay froze up enough. :)

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2557 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:27 AM »
You can also use herring.
I usually use perch and smelt. I didn't know if there was anyone out there doing anything radically different that they'd like to divulge. :)

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2558 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:36 AM »

Tom

That's what's getting me. Perch are listed as a game fish.....

Offline k1500guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2559 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:21 AM »
Has anyone been on or heard any reports on Chatcolet Lake. Hows the ice there? Any tips, i'll be going there tomorrow and have never been.

Thanks

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2560 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:31 AM »
Has anyone been on or heard any reports on Chatcolet Lake. Hows the ice there? Any tips, i'll be going there tomorrow and have never been.

Thanks

Be very careful of the ice, lots of springs on chat. Ice generally should be decent. There are some big pike in there but it can be very spotty fishing. Perch are like anywhere in north Idaho, lotsa small ones and a few nice ones. Good luck and be safe on that ice.

Offline redAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2561 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:00 PM »
New to the forum and love the chatter. I've read several people talking about muskies in Gamlin. I've spent a ton of time fishing bass on that lake in the summer and have never caught/hooked/been cut off by anything that could have been a muskie. Does anyone have any first hand experience or are they a kin to the Pend Oreille paddler?

Heading out on the ice for the first time this weekend so hope to have some intel to share on the perch front.

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2562 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:18 PM »
New to the forum and love the chatter. I've read several people talking about muskies in Gamlin. I've spent a ton of time fishing bass on that lake in the summer and have never caught/hooked/been cut off by anything that could have been a muskie. Does anyone have any first hand experience or are they a kin to the Pend Oreille paddler?

Heading out on the ice for the first time this weekend so hope to have some intel to share on the perch front.

Hey ak , let me know how Gamlin or shepherd  ice is if you run out there. I think I will make a newyears resolution to give Muskie fishing through the ice at least a two or three day try! I've caught a fair amount of pike through the ice but I'm guessing I won't be near as successful on a Muskie! Gotta try though!
Jc

Offline idahtana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2563 on: Dec 30, 2016, 03:02 PM »
On Lake Pend Oreille just opposite of Sandpoint. They are great eats!

You guys have me wanting to try for some kokanee, so I went and tried to check out Bottle Bay this morning.  I figured that marina road would be plowed, but it's not...not even a good place to pull off there.  Is there other access down into that bay??  Any info would be appreciated.  On a side note, I heard that Mirror Lake has some kokanee...so maybe I'll try that out this weekend. 

I guess be aware, Bottle bay road itself is pretty cruddy, plowed but not sanded very well at all.  Probably still best (and quickest) to use Sagle road to get around.

Other than that, there were quite a few people out on Gamlin all clustered in the middle of the lake, it was hard to tell exactly how many because of the fog.  No one on Shepherd. 

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2564 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:06 PM »
Drove out to Fernan today.  5 inches of good ice near shore at the turn outs.  6-7 at the boat launch.  Going to take my dad out on Saturday.   Lots of perch being caught.  Nothing jumbo but lots of action.  Met a nice man pulling out around 2:30 and he had about 50 perch in his sled. 

Packernut

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2565 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:29 PM »
There was a few guys on the head end of lower twin, I stopped and signed in at Blanchard lake (poirers) and sonny told me the lake is about 5 feet deep at the most. There was some snow and slush on top of the ice. He said there are crappies in the lake. Can they be caught in shallow water like that?

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2566 on: Dec 30, 2016, 10:57 PM »
You guys have me wanting to try for some kokanee, so I went and tried to check out Bottle Bay this morning.  I figured that marina road would be plowed, but it's not...not even a good place to pull off there.  Is there other access down into that bay??  Any info would be appreciated.  On a side note, I heard that Mirror Lake has some kokanee...so maybe I'll try that out this weekend. 

I guess be aware, Bottle bay road itself is pretty cruddy, plowed but not sanded very well at all.  Probably still best (and quickest) to use Sagle road to get around.

Other than that, there were quite a few people out on Gamlin all clustered in the middle of the lake, it was hard to tell exactly how many because of the fog.  No one on Shepherd.

Thanks for the report.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2567 on: Dec 31, 2016, 11:15 AM »
My wife and I fished Hayden yesterday from about 10-1.  Fist time out this season.  9 tip-ups, about 3 hours on the ice, and no flags.  Didn't see flags from the other groups either.  There was a group of 3 guys that had been there since daylight and had 1 pike.  Good ice though.  A little slushy in spots on top, but measured 9".  About 3" of it being semi-frozen  slushy stuff on top.  Will tighten up nice over the next couple days.

Anyone know of a local grocery source for smelt or herring without buying the expensive little packs from Blacksheep?  Last year I got some at Winco and they were really nice.  Perfect size.  This year however, they're almost too big.  I bought a pound of them and the smallest was about 7".  When you push a treble through the belly, they kind of drape and hang funny..  not really natural looking.  Not sure if that matters, but it bothers me.   

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2568 on: Dec 31, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Fernan ice is good. Panfish ok. Fished 730-1200-12tip up sets and 0 flags.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2569 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:48 PM »
north 40 sells herring at $5.99
blacksheep  sells herring at $6.99
Fins&feathers sells herring at $7.99
hope this helps everyone
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2570 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:54 PM »
Fished Fernan today 8:30 - 3:00 with dad.  Kept 13 perch largest just over 10 inches.  If you do not get a bite in the first 5 minutes move.  Once you find them action is nonstop.  Heard from a guy as we were pulling out a 14 lb pike was caught closer to the launch.  Just fished for perch today no tip ups set.   

Packernut

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2571 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Fished Fernan today 8:30 - 3:00 with dad.  Kept 13 perch largest just over 10 inches.  If you do not get a bite in the first 5 minutes move.  Once you find them action is nonstop.  Heard from a guy as we were pulling out a 14 lb pike was caught closer to the launch.  Just fished for perch today no tip ups set.   

Packernut
What section were you guys on? We were set across the lake on the very east end and had a hard time finding consistent perch but we were only in 14 fow. Did manage a nice trout in the middle of a perch bite,.

Offline RathdrumKris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2572 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Anyone been out to cocolalla lately?trying to figure where to go on Monday...?

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2573 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:23 PM »
My wife and I fished Hayden yesterday from about 10-1.  Fist time out this season.  9 tip-ups, about 3 hours on the ice, and no flags.  Didn't see flags from the other groups either.  There was a group of 3 guys that had been there since daylight and had 1 pike.  Good ice though.  A little slushy in spots on top, but measured 9".  About 3" of it being semi-frozen  slushy stuff on top.  Will tighten up nice over the next couple days.

Anyone know of a local grocery source for smelt or herring without buying the expensive little packs from Blacksheep?  Last year I got some at Winco and they were really nice.  Perfect size.  This year however, they're almost too big.  I bought a pound of them and the smallest was about 7".  When you push a treble through the belly, they kind of drape and hang funny..  not really natural looking.  Not sure if that matters, but it bothers me.

Thanks for the report. Were you on the north end? I planned on fishing there Tuesday but have not been hearing much in the way of positive reports.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2574 on: Jan 01, 2017, 12:31 AM »
any good news on the chain lakes
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2575 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Yes,  North end.   Sportsman's.  Always seems hit and miss out there. 

Thanks for the report. Were you on the north end? I planned on fishing there Tuesday but have not been hearing much in the way of positive reports.

Offline No.IDea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2576 on: Jan 01, 2017, 03:55 PM »
any good news on the chain lakes

Fished Killarney all day yesterday, until sundown. Had 5 tip ups set at varying depths from about 25 yards off the east bank outwards. Caught about 8000 TINY perch, and missed two flags. Only saw one other guy pull a pike, right around 10am. The ice was plenty deep, but lots of snow made the walk a little spongy. I'm not sure if we were doing anything wrong, but just a really slow day on the pike front; herring rigs, just about 2-3 foot above the bottom, and plenty of beer to call them in.

-Keep 'em spinnin  :tipup:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2577 on: Jan 01, 2017, 04:28 PM »
Fished Killarney all day yesterday, until sundown. Had 5 tip ups set at varying depths from about 25 yards off the east bank outwards. Caught about 8000 TINY perch, and missed two flags. Only saw one other guy pull a pike, right around 10am. The ice was plenty deep, but lots of snow made the walk a little spongy. I'm not sure if we were doing anything wrong, but just a really slow day on the pike front; herring rigs, just about 2-3 foot above the bottom, and plenty of beer to call them in.

Any thoughts on devoting one tip up set within a foot or so of the ice as it's a nice place for them to cruise.

It seems to be worth the risk, unless your sonar dictates they're dozin' mud.       ;)2

Are you concerned with or follow the barometric pressure?      :unsure:

Tom

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2578 on: Jan 01, 2017, 04:43 PM »

What FOW are you in? It's getting to the dreaded mid-ice season and I think those pike are headed for a little deeper water this time of year. It might be worth setting a few out to 20ft or at least on some of those drop offs that go from 10 to 15. Earlier this year we picked up tons of pike in 10' and under but that trend seems to have changed and I think it's time to look deeper. We got skunked on 12 tip ups yesterday and the week before we had iced 8 pike in similar water......if you can figure out these suckers on mid season ice, let me know! The thing that's frustrating about Killarney is that there are absolutely a crap load of pike in there and you know they have to be looking at your gear....

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2579 on: Jan 01, 2017, 04:53 PM »
May help to Google barometric pressure and note a few reasons for lock-jaw.      ;)2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.